OT:Favorite War Movie

Ok, after seeing all the posts about how boring the forum is getting, I figured I'd add in my own topic.

For me Saving Private Ryan ranks up there among my favorite war movies, but more for the camera angles and the "feel" of being in combat.

Personally, my utmost favorite is probably A Bridge Too Far. I like movies that are based on actual battles and are more historically accurate. (Midway, Battle of the Bulge, Battleground)

Your thoughts......

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic.

Hard to pick a fave, although Private Ryan would probably be my #1. Then again, I still haven't seen Cross of Iron.

Others I'd recommend:

Das Boot

Stalingrad

The Beast

A Bridge Too Far

A Midnight Clear

and Biloxi Blues, if a comedy counts.

GAFF

Battleground is an awesome movie - I especially like the scene where the GI's are semi-interrogating some German officials and one of them is blowing the most perfect smoke rings into their faces! Platoon has many good moments, A Bridge Too Far is pretty cool as well. Patton is good, too. Combat with SGT Sanders was completely awesome.

I have to say Battleground as well.

Here´s a plot summary from IMdb

"We follow a band of American soldiers as they engage the Germans in a snowy, foggy winter near Bastogne in World War II. They're low on fuel, rations, and ammunition; the Germans are constantly encouraging their surrender via radio and leaflets, and most importantly, the pervasive thick fog makes movement and identification difficult and prevents their relief by Allied air support. This film focuses much more on the psychology and morale of the soldiers than on action footage and heroics."

Funnily enough the tag lines read;

"The guts! The girls! The glory! of a lot of wonderful guys!"

Pretty much sums up this forum.Give or take the...well never mind.

G-D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jager 7:

As for me;

SPR

Cross of Iron

Bridge too Far

Stalingrad

Gettysburg

Braveheart

And for Hollywood action war movies with little basis in reality...

Where Eagles Dare

Guns of Navarone

Tobruk

Out here...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you need to move BraveHeart from the first category to the 2nd.

Jeff

All-time favorite is The Wind and the Lion, followed by Full Metal Jacket, 55 Days at Peking, and The Sands of Iwo Jima (can you tell I'm a Jarhead? biggrin.gif )

Other favorites: Gallipoli, The Longest Day, Catch 22, SPR, Dr. Stangelove, The Flying Tigers, The Dambusters, The Kain Mutiny, The Cruel Sea

"Austerlitz" is pretty good if you're into Napolean. Don't know where it was made but it wasn't the US. Kinda have to be familiar with the situation to really appreciate it, however.

Same goes for "Port Arthur," a Japanese flick about the incredibly bloody ground assaults there.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Hmmm... without differentiating my favorites into realistic/non-realistic categories, I've got to say that some of my faves are (in no particular order):

The Dirty Dozen ("... then you don't know Victor Franco),

Force 10 from Navarone (mainly cause I'm a Robert Shaw/Harrison Ford junkie),

A Bridge Too Far,

Bridge Over the River Kwai,

Sands of Iwo Jima,

Midway,

Kelly's Heroes,

and Hell in the Pacific (starring Lee Marvin and the fantastic Toshiro Mifune... there's not much dialogue in this film about an American and a Japanese soldier isolated on this island, but the gripping and realistic nature of the film makes it a good one, although the end is fairly depressing...)

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Paths of Glory (not quite a WAR war movie, I know... nice display of the striations of the militaries of the time)

Bridge Too Far

Cross of Iron

Kelly's Heroes (out on DVD in a month... Going to be a good summer!).

AND Abel Gances 1927 classic Napoleon

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 06-15-2000).]

SPR

Cross of Iron

A Bridge Too Far

12 O'clock High

The Longest Day

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Gettysburg

Stalag 17

Glory

Waterloo

Stalingrad

Das Boot

The Bridge

Pork Chop Hill

The Odd Angry Shot

Breaker Morant

The Lighthorsemen

Zulu

Just to name a few....

Well, of course:

A Bridge Too Far.

Das Boot

Full Metal Jacket

For an oldie, but a goodie with John Wayne: They Were Expendable

Not strictly a war movie, but still one of my favorites: Laurence of Arabia

------------------

Formerly known as not THE Charles from BTS

Wow! What a great thread! I haven't seen several of these in far TOO LONG, such as the afore mentioned "Wind and the Lion", I love the scene where the Marines run throught the streets and sieze the embasy!

"Hell in the Pacific" is another great one you don't hear too much about these days, though I recently picked it up on DVD.

I didn't really like "Stalingrad" as much as I had hoped I would. The Soviet tank assault in the snow is the best part, but towards the end it just got...weird...

I think I'd have to second "Kelly's Hero's" and "Battle of the Bulge" as my two favorite war flicks though, just basing that on number of times viewed. How many of you have the "Panzerleid" memorized?

Zamo

"Ob's stürmt oder schneit...."