Old Salts...Where are you?

Hello all. Good to see the forum has grown so much. I've been away for awhile but Now I'm back. So I thought I would drop by the forum to see what's been going on. While reading I realized I did not recognize ANY of the user names. So where O where did all the old salts go? Is there some kind of forum rotation I'm not aware of? Or is there another site you people went to?

Throw me a bone here. smile.gif

------------------

Semper Fi.

Well I see the Leader O the Scallywags lives on. Good to see some familiar names. Now I will sleep better. And I believe I may have found that foul nest of vipers.

MuHAHAHAHA....MUWAHHAHAHAHAH ...MUWAHAHAHA...muwhaha...muwha....MMMmmW.....errrr......sigh.

------------------

Semper Fi.

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

Who the heck are you, and what are you doing in my army?

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

How old? I know beta demo times isn't all that old, so I guess I'm just a middle age salt. Good to see you again.

Babra- Ever been to sea, Billy? Ever seen a fishhhh? Arrrr....

I've been driving boats since I was 10, and commercial fishing for the last two summers. Damn I hate being in Colorado where there's no ocean. The fish isn't as fresh as in Alaska, either. Salty enough for ya?

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 12-07-2000).]

I'm not sure I can call myself an Old Salt, since I've been much more of a lurker than a poster on this board. But I *have* been checking the new posts every day since about a month before the Beta Demo came out. And, hey, that's a long time!

Martyr

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarhead:

While reading I realized I did not recognize ANY of the user names. So where O where did all the old salts go?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn got the royal boot in his hiney. Madmatt and Kwazydog are on the payroll so they are sluffing off.

But I am the only username that matters anyway.

username

I been around since May 1999, long before the demo was released. In my day all we had to keep us going were a half dozen grainy, 3"x5", low-res MPEG movies that Steve cobbled together somehow. I must have watched the one of the King Tiger sniping the Sherman column a hundred times.

I have no home internet access (as I'm sure I've whined about here a couple dozen times now) so I can only check during the slow points at work.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NIX:

Gustov, where about in Colorado? I'm in Boulder.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice to meet someone living around here. I'm going to Fort Lewis College in Durango. Haven't been up to Boulder yet.

Dang, Doug, I remember those same movies. Haven't thought about them ever since, until you reminded me.

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 12-08-2000).]

What did ya say there sonny???

Why back when Beman an' I wuz young, weren't no BBS. The rich folk would write their posts on paper and send it to BTS via trained pigeons. Us poor folk had to train chickens and make 'em run all the way up to NY.

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 12-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Why back when Beman an' I wuz young, weren't no BBS. The rich folk would write their posts on paper and send it to BTS via trained pigeons. Us poor folk had to train chickens and make 'em run all the way up to NY.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeez, you had chickens? I had to build a potato mortar and fire replies to BTS just to find out how to keep my M18s alive. Times sure were harder when I was your age, sonny. wink.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

I think that somebody at BTS should, if possible, run a post tally on currently-active people. That would let us discern the Old Salts from the newbie Slackass Posterpeople.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My idea, which I haven't said anywhere else yet, was to replace "junior member" and "member" with the different experience levels in CM. Therefore, newbies would be conscripts, rising to green and then regular after their first couple posts. I would probably be veteran or crack, and the ones who were hanging out before the beta demo was released would be elite.

This would give the old salts a little more status than just being a member. Opinions, anyone?

------------------

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 12-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Bad idea. My nick has changed twice since first coming by here (due to forum woes). Prolly change again within a week or so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Babra has the right of it. Not to mention that it would give a false impression of 'CM ability', as opposed to 'forum participation'. I'd love to see the long time posters get their due, and be acknowledged for their participation (although I might add that there are several who've been here for a donkey's age, and they're as useless as ****e and twice as annoying to step in). But I don't know that this is the way, especially since there are a large number of long-time posters who became 'recent' posters as a result of the Night of the Refreshing Monkeys (which should also probably be the name of a song, or major motion picture, or somefink).

------------------

Tremble, tyrants and you perfidious opprobrium of all the parties,

Tremblez! your parricidal projects finally will receive their prices!

But these sanguinary despots, But these accomplices of Berli,

All these tigers which, without pity, Bauhaus the centre of their mother!

We will enter the career When our elder is not there any more,

We will find there their dust And the trace of their virtues

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

I'd love to see the long time posters get their due, and be acknowledged for their participation (although I might add that there are several who've been here for a donkey's age, and they're as useless as ****e and twice as annoying to step in). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't tread on me!

Uselessness is not a crime...

Can someone tell me what this game is about. I thought this was the Barbie forum.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng