We need a FAQ!!

Mike-I agree with you 100%. Steve shouldn't waste a second on this if it delays the game for even a second.

And Mark....it will go Gold when it is done (I have always wanted to say that)

------------------

"Tryin to be so so bad is bad enough, don't make me laugh by talkin tough" EC

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We're gonna get FAQ'd<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. The correct pronunciation, in the MS spirit, is the phonetic one: FA-Q.

Elvis: Couldn't you release a demo FAQ? If you wait til it's done, won't competitive FAQs surpass your FAQ? Will the FAQ be available in stores? Why can't I issue a Run command to an FAQ? wink.gif

Seriously, once you post something, we can all contribute... or nitpick. I can see whole threads spinning off of each of the FAQsters answers... eek.gif ... and theology-grade interpretations of BTS' previous posts. Sounds like fun!

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 03-28-2000).]

That's why the FAQ is a fan-based effort. smile.gif

PeterNZ and others, be on the look out for list of good link/books/movies. If we can, the FAQ can not only be used as a resource ABOUT CM but also a a place of information FOR CM players.

This board is not just about CM, it is also about WWII and I think the FAQ should reflect that to some extent.

That being said, I think we should get the standard questions finished first. I have been going through old posts (that's where I get the links from...) and I have a vast amount of quotes to use for 'long answers'.

I also have a repository of links - but I'm unsure how extensive it should be. Someone recently posted a bunch of books and I think we should have those divided up by category.

I'm stiil unsure how to divide questions up by category. So far I have about a dozen categories and maybe 50 questions.

Jason

In response to Mark IV -

In order to head off nitpicking and criticism of FAQ answers, I am culling quotes directly from BTS (and a few other posters). Extremely laborious wading through 37,000 posts (10,000 done so far) but worth it to find an 'official' answer.

This way people can't complain that my answer to 'no dead bodies' is wrong if I have full documentation of every Steve answer (and there are lots of them).

Jason

I would suggest, for some of the more "controversial" questions - dead bodies, bocage/belly armor, etc. that you give BTS' answer, but also link to the original bulletin board discussion. That will give context to those hoped-for masses of converts that play the game for the first time after it has been released and reinvent the wheel when it comes to asking FAQs.

Guest PeterNZ

Well, when guachi and elvis finish, if they send all their stuff to me, we can compile it all into one big mush and then tweak it and then let everyone look at it.

?

PeterNZ

• 2 months later...

Well, before I'll start a new thread I can as well revive this one.

First, how is the FAQ doing? I haven't heard anything about it for quite some time now.

Second, if the FAQ is still some time away, can somebody post a list of the common military abbreviations used in this forum? I don't have a military background, so many of them don't mean anything to me (especially since I'm not a native English speaker).

Thanks.

Dschugaschwili

We were doing work on the FAQ's but it kinda stalled for a number of reasons....My feeling recently has been to put it on ice until the game is out. Otherwise it will have to be done all over again anyway. I know we did a decent amount of work on it before it came to a grinding halt. Now Peter is in Great Britain and apparently MIA and as far as I know has all the emails we sent back and forth.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

now if only I had a babel fish i could understand why , never mind it was something about running but I forget <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lindan:

The answer to all the FAQ's (and all other questions, btw) is...

42!!

smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had hoped to have the FAQ out BEFORE the gold demo release.

Elvis is right, though. There really isn't much reason to do one right now, so I think Elvis, Peter, and I will likely wait until the game itself is released. The traffic on the board has increased so rapidly as of late that it was impossible to keep up.

Thre must be a ton of questions that can be easily answered with RTFM. For those with just the gold demo I think there should be a section just for it.

Like Matt with his daily updates, maybe we could add FAQ questions a bit at a time, or something.

Elvis, Peter... we have about a week+ unitl the game is out... What say we see what we can get done so we can hit the ground running when the game is released?

Jason

(note new e-mail addy in profile)

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lindan:

The answer to all the FAQ's (and all other questions, btw) is...

42!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember all because it was long but I do remember that the best part was about frogs.

Let's get out to find some frogs and get a good laugh about them.

biggrin.gif

Boy, Douglas Adams Infected Post that one...

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped