Combat MIssion "Hit"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Smokey as a Sherman by turn 8, and smooth as a Panther G

with hull-down.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a lovely description!

Actually, as being a long time drinker of bourbon, and a relative newcomer to the world of scotch, I really like JD. It's not of the highest quality, but has a flavor that really sits well with me. M'sM is good stuff, but I still like Wild Turkey A LOT, and it and JD are my preferences for when me and my buddies go out to get drunk. On that subject, has anyone tried JD- Single Barrel or Glen Fiddich Ancient Reserve?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had caught this conversation sooner. My current job is front captain in a fine dining establishment. And as such get to schmooze good wines all the time, tonight for example I started with stonestreet chardonay followed by a saintsbury pinot noir biggrin.gif

We serve a variety of scotch's mentioned here too bad they're not for me.

I will take a port every once in a while though, they go so well with dark chocolate.

As for beer I got hooked on Maudite off this forum, an excellent barley wine reminiscent of apple cider. Didn't care too much for sing ha but love the Sapporo dark germanboy mentioned.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

...the 18-year-old Macallan.

Wow. I was missing something. Smokey as a Sherman by turn 8, and smooth as a Panther G with hull-down. I recommend it without qualification, and a nice "bargain" stop on your way to the 25. A real find.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's really something, isn't it? One of the things that really struck me about it is that its flavour and taste are so much richer than the 'standard' 12YO Macallan's, but the aftertaste is very similar.

And what a "bargain" at only 40 pounds UK! I haven't had the 25 yet, 99 pounds was a bit too steep...

Marnix.

Indeed this post is truly dangerous, I am now inescapably obligated to go buy a nice bottle of scotch...Hadnt drank in weeks too hurm. I had the extreme pleasure of having a glass of Macallan's 18 year on my last birthday a hearty skol to Fredrik for suggesting the idea after dinner, swedes can really be decent folk smile.gif

Hard pressed to think of a better scotch that I've tried, tho Im awfully partial to Laphroig, would have to sample side-by-side.

*Loses train of thought daydreaming about scotch*

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

I had the pleasure of trying the Glenfarclas 105 while vacationing in Victoria, B.C. (Beautiful town by the way). Thank you exchange rate! Well worth the few bucks to give it a try. Not as smooth as someof the others I have recently tried, but a distinctly different experience. Thank you contributors to this board.

------------------

CrapGame

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Senility:

Ah, nothing brings the lads together and smoothes over all the tense postings like a good thread on tippling... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Sire, alt.booze.panzer is hereby declared open again.

Well, after all the sillyness of today (and I am not talking about the Mr.Peng thread), I am now sitting back with a double (could be triple, actually) Laphroaig. Let me just say that life is good. And Scapa, well, suffice to say I shall feed it to my friend who recommended it. Clearly his taste buds are somewhat impaired from having to lick freshly covered road surfaces smooth during his architectural apprenticeship. Putting colouring agents in a whisky, I mean come on, not even the Japanese sink that low. Any new experiences with tipples to report?

------------------

Andreas

This thread... like the return of an old friend.

However, it is very cruel to post about one's freshly-poured triple Laphroiag while some of us are still at work. Considering the source, I'm not surprised, which reminds me that I am looking for our rematch any time, now.

Nothing new in tippling to report, but lots of the same old.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neutral Party:

I will take this as a sign and go pour myself a bloody big Bunnahabhain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a good lad! What is that like. Have not had that one yet, mostly because of the unpronouncable name...

50ml, good to see that your collection is as good as I would wish mine to be. Soon, my first salary cheque will arrive and I will live in London, work in Westminster, close to shops stuffed with all the good things in life.

Anyone know a good Port?

------------------

Andreas

And what may I ask, do you bloody barbarians have against Cragenmore? (a truely fine drink, if a little sharper than the usual)

And it goes well with a cigar cool.gif

(once again displaying political incorrectness)

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

I have recently enjoyed the Glenmorangie Port Finish (I think 12 yrs old - have to look at the bottle again), and that caused the purchase of the Glenmorangie 18 yrd old, which is good. Smooth, but not nearly as much character as the lagavulin or talisker.

------------------

CrapGame

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

There's a good lad! What is that like. Have not had that one yet, mostly because of the unpronouncable name...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andreas it's almost completely phonetic except that bh in Gaelic sounds like v in English.

It's another Islay malt, quite smoky but not so much as Laphroaig or even Lag. I prefer the Lag myself but got this bottle as a gift so whose complaining.

Joe

You're all missing the joys of very, very cheap liquor. A good ground rule is, if it comes in a plastic bottle, good. If it comes in a plastic bottle with a handle, even better. If it comes in a plastic bottle with a handle and an easy-pour spout, you've got yourself a winner. However, I will make some specific recomendations:

Vodkas:

Ivan the Terrible

Mr. Popov's

Kamchatka

All of these are pretty close to being straight ethyl. Da, Gospodin!

Gin:

Canadian Club

Seagrams. Not Seagram's 7, which unfortunately doesn't come in plastic bottles, but the stuff they keep behind the Seagram's 7.

You need a looooot of tonic with these bad boys. Don't even think about using these for martinis.

Speaking of martinis, straight vermouth makes a nice after-dinner pick-me-up.

Tequila:

Really the only choice here is Montezuma. Warning!!! Do NOT attempt to substitute sugar for salt, no matter how phenomenally hammered you are. You will regret it! Trust me on this one.

And, my personal favorite, Whiskey/Bourbon

Old Crow

Rebel Yell

Jim Beam

Southern Lady (No, not Southern Comfort. Southern Comfort only comes in glass bottles, with no handle)

Break out your hip flask and fillerup! Any of these will get you sloshed very, very quickly, and seeing who can take shots of this stuff without wincing is a fun party game.

The whiskeys are also perfect for boilermakers. Ideally, boilermakers should be made with a nice light beer, like Busch, Genny Cream Ale, Meisterbrau, or Old Milwaukee.

Any of these fine spirits are guaranteed to leave you with an incredibly massive hangover, which will provide a convenient justification to skip your early classes or be late for work. Come on, you know you want to anyway.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Ehhhh.. All this talk of booze and fine liquers rouses my appetite for a different form of comfort... especially durring a hearty exchange of arty and MG fire. What beter way to DULL the senses than with a little bit o' that mean green! the purple herb.. the red haired wonder... yess, a lil' mary J can calm one's senses quicker than any bottle of granny's moonshine. Though i must say... its important to not engage thyself too liberally for not only will one's senses dull but so will one's coordination.. not the path to go when coordinating a battalion of Panzergrenadiers! So when your feelin fine after a fine puffin', seein a wave of your infantry go down to HE fire aint too big of a thing... let the next one get em... its only lunch time, man... ya got plenty o time... Hey wait a minute.. ive had a column of panzers back here this whole time.. we can throw those guys in the mix too... it all makes for a bloody yet groovey good time.

Zaf'

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Anyone know a good Port?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They say that Southampton is good, but if you're bringing in large amounts of tonnage, try Ramsgate.

On another matter, does anyone have any AARs on Glendronach? I have a bottle which I haven't cracked yet. Meanwhile, I must content myself w/Lagavulin.

Of course, at the moment, I am up at my parent's house, where they lack both whiskey and air-conditioning. At least they have a cable modem, so that's some consolation.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

They say that Southampton is good, but if you're bringing in large amounts of tonnage, try Ramsgate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So how does it feel to be re-educated? Obviously so far your sense of humour has not been affected. You may take that as a compliment or not...

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Havermeyer:

How does one drink a single malt scotch. I've never been one to do so... but I picked up a bottle on the way home (can't recall what kind-- but it was neither great nor blended). In a glass on the rocks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NEVER EVER ON THE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me while I try to recover my composure. Try a very small splash of bottled water (to avoid chlorine taste) or drink it straight at room temperature. Either way is fine, and some benefit a lot from the water, because it releases something that makes it taste better. Which one have you got?

------------------

Andreas

Pardon... I asked because I was afraid I would do it wrong. Heaven forfend I disturb the luxurious elixir I so eagerly await to share with a little of scenario *snip* (pounding Juardis into submission-- like that Sherm105? Or the new one with 70 rounds of HE?-- Eat lead (or something)).

Good... I don't have any good ice, but plenty of good water. I got a speyburn (sp?). Will head across the border to buy better cheaper (hopefully tomorrow).

Typically a bourbon drinker, meself... but you bahstahds and this thread prompted me to wheel by the ABC... (Charlotte, NC). Me wife is amorous this evening... tis a pity.

I have a mission to finish.

Guest Germanboy

Typically a bourbon drinker, meself... but you bahstahds and this thread prompted me to wheel by the ABC... (Charlotte, NC). Me wife is amorous this evening... tis a pity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wife is ready, are you?

Looks like you have been assimilated to me. Never had Speyburn, let us know what its like.

Slainte.

------------------

Andreas

How does one drink a single malt scotch. I've never been one to do so... but I picked up a bottle on the way home (can't recall what kind-- but it was neither great nor blended). In a glass on the rocks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Germanboy is right (there, I said it): never drink a proper malt on the rocks. Apparently, the true connaisseurs among the Scots have a glass of malt in one hand and a glass of spring water in the other. Alternate sips. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat until assimilated.

But if your wife is amorous, what are you doing hanging around the thread. You've a job to do, young man.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

A lot of the producers of single malts have had glasses specifically designed for them. I'm partial to the glasses that I've obtained from buying Bowmore 12. Its rather fat/bulbous at the bottom, tapering slightly in the middle and then flaring out at the top. It makes it quite easy to hold in one hand while warning the malt to the point where it becomes quite aromatic.

When I started, it was over one ice cube; now I prefer it straight or with a dash/drop of mineral water.

Andreas is quite right; sometimes a drop of water does wonders (if you do this with Laphroaig you can smell the smoke wafting up).

A *very* good site is www.scotchwhisky.com

It has tons of information, giving tasting notes, how to get started, the different regions, etc.

Myself, I am partial to the Islays (typically very smoky, peaty and phenolic/medecinal), but am starting to discover the subtelties of Highland malts.

5m