Combat MIssion "Hit"

MMMMM. An old lush like me really digs the finer boozes (boozes?). My old mum had a dandy bottle of single malt for her birthday, no idea what it was, but i really enjoyed it. As far as hard stuff goes I am a big fan of the Wild Turkey, esp the 101 proof variety. Other than that, a nice hoppy ale like an IPA in warmer weather, or something chewey like a dopplebock, yaknow, a beer with BALLS. Not some wimpy farging thing made mostly from rice that was introduced to a hop cone once. Gawd, there should be restrictions on naming alcohols that only faintly resemble their betters!

Some might say that enjoying finely crafted beverages of any sort is snobery, and that any old swill is good enough if ya kin git a buzz frum it. Then again there are some who think that "paint by the numbers" is art.

I guess it takes all kinds, and that's why Coors light sells so much. Or maybe it's Selma Hyak's wunderbrapushedupboobs that sells the "beer."

OK now that the patently obvious dig at our old pal Lewis is over with... Please comment on THE MOST SMOKYEST AND YET STILL POTABLE SINGLE MALT. I want to try it. Let's hear it all you Scotch-drinkin-men!

Peng

thirsty

------------------

I'm talking and I can't shut up!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrPeng:

Please comment on THE MOST SMOKYEST AND YET STILL POTABLE SINGLE MALT. I want to try it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is Laphroiag. I can't think of a more apt all-caps description, come to think of it.

Roger that MKIV. I need some concurrance from others (Truth by agreement you know) before I run out and buy some, but you seem to be a stand up kinda guy...thanks.

Peng

------------------

Charles, I know diddly about alcohol, and I consume same maybe every other weekend, but I can confirm that the Australian Shiraz is good stuff. A good friend of mine back in my hometown is a full Distinguished Prof, has 3 honorary degrees in marketing/management, and has written more textbooks than I can count. One of the things that he does with the money he gets from all this is collect wine. When I would visit him during my college days he would crack open a bottle, one of which was a "Shiraz Bin 389," I believe. Great stuff, perfect to go along with a tasty meal compliments of his wife and then a night of watching football (American, Monday Night).

Ah, those were the days.

DjB

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrPeng:

Roger that MKIV. I need some concurrance from others (Truth by agreement you know) before I run out and buy some, but you seem to be a stand up kinda guy...thanks.

Peng

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still potable is a bit of a tricky concept. I love Laphroaig. If you are new to Scotch, try Talisker first and then have a go at Laphroaig. If you are lucky enough to live in the vicinity of a bar serving it, try it, but don't splash out on a bottle until you are sure you can drink it. In their ads they make fun of the taste, so that should tell you something.

Having said that, just buy the bottle, you can always send it to me if you don't like it...

Lewis, would like to try the Snobbaholix, but am too busy with my sessions at Geeks Anonymous.

------------------

Andreas

Charles,

Thanx for the reply. Well, the missus and I have tried a few reds. I kind of liked a cabernet sauvignon, and her choice was a (pardon the spelling) beaujolais nouveau, which I liked as well, but I thought the cabernet was a little richer. These were from Beaulieu Vineyards (sp.?) Neither of us were big fans of the Chianti we tried (a little too dry), but both kind of liked Merlots in the past. I wish I knew what the names meant. Any books that explain this stuff? I have put the Echelon and Rosemount wineries on "the list" for closer examination.

Learn something new every day.

------------------

CrapGame out

Peng

Almost all the Island whiskies are smoky or peaty or whatever you want to call it. Of these the Islay malts are smokier than the Skye ones. These include such brands as Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bhunnahabhein (no idea how to spell this but its pronounced bunnahaven) and Bowmore. IMO MarkIV is on the button with his assessment of Laphroaig but be aware that it is a bit too "phenoly" for some. On the other hand drinkers of household cleaners may enjoy it. There is a Bowmore that is suspiciously cheap in the US at the moment (like 15 bucks a bottle in NYC). It is called Legend single malt, is of indeterminate age but tastes OK.

PS stop fantasizing about whisky and send me your turn.

Joe

Peng; Laphroaig it is IF it is smoke that you want. The joke in the store that I buy it from is that if you open up the sampler bottle (big smile on my part) the smoke alarm goes off.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Laphroaig uses 100% peat smoked malt in the brewing/distilling process.

If you pour a shot in a brandy glass, and swirl it around slightly to warm up from your hand temperature, you'll quickly have that 'campfire' smell wafting up.

5m

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

I wish I knew what the names meant. Any books that explain this stuff? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The names mean the type of grape used (except in Europe where the name is the place the grapes are from). "Merlot" is a kind of grape, as is "Cabernet Sauvignon". "Beaujolais" is a geographical region in France, and the wine is made from the Pinot Noir grape (there's no way to discern that from the label - you're just supposed to know that wines from that area use Pinot Noir).

I recommend the book "Wine for Dummies". It's really helpful!

Charles

Guest Germanboy

CrapGame,

'Casillero Del Diavolo' is a Chilean red (don't ask me what grape, I could not care less) and it is among the best red wines I have drunken in my life. The bottle went for about C$15 in Canada. I can only highly recommend it.

Beaujolais Nouveau is a very young wine, the first to be released from a year's vintage, and supposed to be consumed within six months from bottling. It is very light and fruity, and I like it. Very quaffable.

One important thing is that country of origin matters almost more than grape variety. I hate Australian wine (sorry Aussies, I know a lot of people like it, I happen to be the odd one out). They are very strong and have very distinct tastes. That's cool if you like it. In my opinion, if I want something that tastes like black-currant, I make my way to the grocer's, but I know I am being unfair.

German reds (which are hard to come by outside Germany, especially if they are drinkable) are very light, and low in alcohol. Quite a few of them are surprisingly good, I find.

Argentinia is supposed to be up and coming, and allegedly has better climatical conditions than Chile (and I really like Chilean stuff), so maybe you want to give that a try.

As with all things, your personal tastebuds will decide what you like. Mine happen to be calibrated to enjoy lighter wines.

Oh, and never drink red wine cold. Room temperature. White wine depending on the climate. In winter I would give it a try at slightly below room temp, in summer I like it quite cold.

A nice refreshing summer drink at home is a 50-50 mix of sparkling mineral water and light Riesling. Drunk quite cold, but without ice, of course.

how about alt.booze.panzer?

------------------

Andreas

Guest Big Time Software

I'm pretty sure that 'Casillero Del Diavolo' is made by Concha y Toro and should be relatively easy to find in North America.

Charles

Thanks for the advice guys. It is the smoke I am going for. I had a strong Scotch ale once that had smoked barley in it that really knocked my socks off. I just have this smokey thing going...I will consume just about anything smoked...herring, eels, slabs of steer or pig, reindeer, horse, ducks, clams, cheeses (gouda!), frogs, fruitbats ourangutans, karp, breakfast cereals...

Yup. stick the SOB in a smoker, put it in front of me and it is highly probable that I will cram it down my gullet and wash it down with a fermented beverage.

Peng - hungry

------------------

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

I'm pretty sure that 'Casillero Del Diavolo' is made by Concha y Toro and should be relatively easy to find in North America.

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one - my brain is going mushy, I forget all sorts of things... Who are you again? Must be the long wait for the game...

------------------

Andreas

You mean 'Casillero del Diablo', from Concha y Toro. It's a very good red. And the grape do matter - if you can get a '97 Cabernet Sauvignon, do it! I also recommend the Chardonnay. BTW, I think the Chilean wines are way superior than those from Argentine.

Seesh, my first post and it is already off-topic...

Peng, about all these <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>herring, eels, slabs of steer or pig, reindeer, horse, ducks, clams, cheeses (gouda!), frogs, fruitbats ourangutans, karp, breakfast cereals... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> that you'd eat.

They wouldn't happen to have been killed by the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, now, would they?

DjB

Never heard of these other scotches. They sound expensive and potentially caustic on my tender tonsils.

Glenmorangie tastes great. I like it in a shot glass, no chaser no water. Roll it around the palatte a bit then swallow slowly. It's smells like butterscotch or caramel and has a peppery aftertaste. Great apperitif. Don't suck in a breath after downing it, kinda burns and spoils the effect!

Dewars is nasty, especially with water, but nasty in any form really. I mean yuck.

Not a scotch, but Wild Turkey bourbon whiskey is great too, especially mixed in a whiskey sour.

Ren

My wife, God love her, bought me a bottle of 15yo Laphroaig for our anniversary two years ago. Made it last until last year's anniversary when ... lo and behold ... at bottle of 16yo Lagavulin showed up.

Laphroaig is tops in my book for Scotch whisky, followed closely by Lagavulin. If I'm in a mood for a lighter sip, an aged Glenlivet tickles the buds just fine.

Irish whiskey: Hey, Fionn, I'm open to suggestions.

Bourbon: Knob Creek or Booker's.

Gin: Tanq has a bit too much juniper for my taste, but it's smooth. Bombay is pretty tasty and I won't snivel at Beefeaters, either.

Vodka: I'm a gin drinker.

Beer: A tall creamy Guinness is all I need ... however the Germans do a nice job, too.

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

Since there are various Scotch newbies asking advice, I must speak up for Tullamore Dew. It's Irish, and it's a blend, so it has zero snob appeal. On the other hand, it's relatively cheap (~$30 here, in Utah, where the state liquor monopoly ensures that all liquors are twice their rational price) and remarkably drinkable. It's the standard house whiskey here. Black Bush is similarly Irish, blended, cheap, and remarkably decent. You may want to consider one of those before paying double that for a bottle of Laphroig that, frankly, is a *very* aquired taste.

Guest Big Time Software

On the recommendations here, tonight I sampled a glass of Dalwhinnie, my first glass of 'real' Scotch. Ever.

Liked it. smile.gif A lot. biggrin.gif

Now please help me to avoid embarrassing myself (further). Please spell Laphroiag, Glenmorangie, Talisker and Lagavulin phonetically, so I know how to pronounce them when I order a glass and not have some big guy in a kilt come out from behind the bar and throw me out of the place yelling, "An doooan come backear tell yakin lurrrn ta speak tha Keng's English, laddeh!!" smile.gif

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Now please help me to avoid embarrassing myself (further). Please spell Laphroiag, Glenmorangie, Talisker and Lagavulin phonetically, so I know how to pronounce them when I order a glass and not have some big guy in a kilt come out from behind the bar and throw me out of the place yelling, "An doooan come backear tell yakin lurrrn ta speak tha Keng's English, laddeh!!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is funny. I can just picture Mike Myers as Fat Bastard behind the bar screaming this.

Dalwhinnie is rather tasty. Got my bottle on saturday due to the recommendations here. I have Talisker, Lagavulin and Laphroiag on "the list".

Time to return to doing the rare Native American "Mail Dance" ritual, where warriors desiring to show their bravery in battle dance around the mailbox in an effort to influence the Mail Gods to deliver a specially desired package. Very impressive sight, indeed.

------------------

CrapGame out

Laphroiag, Glenmorangie, Talisker and Lagavulin phonetically<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they pretty much are phonetic, except Laphroiag is "la-froyg". At least that's how I've always said them and it works.

On the recommendations here, tonight I sampled a glass of Dalwhinnie, my first glass of 'real' Scotch. Ever.

Liked it. smile.gif A lot. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations, my son. You have seen the light, but you have only begun to learn.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Now please help me to avoid embarrassing myself (further). Please spell Laphroiag, Glenmorangie, Talisker and Lagavulin phonetically, so I know how to pronounce them when I order a glass and not have some big guy in a kilt come out from behind the bar and throw me out of the place yelling, "An doooan come backear tell yakin lurrrn ta speak tha Keng's English, laddeh!!" smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't find a schwa on my keyboard, so I'll use @ instead:

La-froy@g

Ta-lis-ker, with the 'a' as in 'cat'

La-ga-vul-@n

Glen-mor-an-jee, with the 'a' as in 'cat'

These are pretty easy, really, with the possible exception of Laphroaig. It's when you get to Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Auchentoshan, Bruichladdich, and the like that one can get quite tongue-tied -- especially after drinking them in that order.

BTW, I have never had a hang-over after drinking quantities of good Scotch. Truly it is the uisquebeach -- the water of life.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 06-19-2000).]