Combat MIssion "Hit"

Maker's Mark.... Nothing better to wet your whistle..

Then Gatorade after about 25 moves in a 60 move scenario!

Followed by a vicotry Brandy, warmed by candlelight, with a roll in in the clover with your companion to finish night between the covers. biggrin.gif

------------------

"Victory smiles upon those who anticipate the changes in the character of war, not upon those who wait to adapt themselves after they occur."

General Guilio Douhet

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the need to bump this fine, vintage thread; Lord knows, the board needs all the refinement it can find.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the Scottish custom of drinking whiskey with the malt in one hand and a glass of water in the other -- as opposed to a splash of water in the malt or <shudder> ice. I discovered this only recently whilst reading The General Danced at Dawn by George MacDonald Fraser -- well worth reading as is anything else by Fraser, especially the "Flashman" series -- and tried it the other day with a glass of my beloved Lagavulin: chilled filtered water in one hand; two fingers of the blessed distillate in the other; alternate sips of each.

Any afficianado of Scotch should try it this way. For whatever reasons, it highlights a whole new set of flavors within the miraculous spirit. Haven't tried it with any other marks yet, but rest assured I will, as soon as I can get them down my neck.

Slainté.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Germanboy

Righty, time to give this one a bump. After extensive fieldwork (including gate-crashing the 'afters' at a wedding in County Wicklow) I can now reveal that Guiness can only be drunk in the most beautiful and green realm of Eire. I look forward to EU funding for a 59-year research project on whether:

a) it is better on the west coast than on the east coast and

B) which county boasts the best Murphy's

No contention of my scientifically well-based claims are admitted, unless the person has been to Ireland. Paper submitted to 'The International Journal of Alcoholics and Tank Employment Studies'.

------------------

Andreas

• 1 month later...

The Cesspool may be the Mutha-beautiful Thread, but this is certainly the most sublime thread. Hence this bump.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

The Cesspool may be the Mutha-beautiful Thread, but this is certainly the most sublime thread. Hence this bump.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well done Ethan - there's a man to my taste. Have had a go at Bowmore 12yrs (an Islay) whisky during the last few weeks. Some friends brought it as a present. Really lovely stuff. Smokey, nice.

Also getting into Port a bit (work in Westminster, so there) any recommendations?

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Also getting into Port a bit (work in Westminster, so there) any recommendations?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, let someone else pay for it: good Port is expensive. Also, check out the Food and Drink website at the Beeb, they usually do a tasting of good yet affordable fortified wines around the holiday season, and Oz Clarke knows his wine, even if he comes across as a bit obnoxious on the box.

The Bowmore sounds nice. I haven't tried it yet myself. Still working on the Lagavulin myself: the very nectar dripping off Hera's teats that is.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

What I want to know is why the hell I can't find 40s in England. What, good American malt liquor isn't good enough for these cretins? Bah, they don't know a good thing when they see it. 'Ooh, real ale. Ooh, make mine a bitter, mate, and while you're there, might you kindly smack my bum? Cheers, that's a good lad. ' Pssh, buncha pansies...

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Yes, let someone else pay for it: good Port is expensive...Still working on the Lagavulin myself: the very nectar dripping off Hera's teats that is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye... just had the Lagavullin 15 in Atlanta; cleared the palate, and then a Talisker. Nothing like a good hotel bar for the old scotch smorgasbord (to mix national characteristics). I don't like Oban as well as I used to, I find.

As for Porto, I'll drink it, but I prefer a nice dry sherry anyday. I was keeping Dry Sack in business when it wasn't cool. It's probably still not cool, and I'm still keeping them in business.

Hmmm... now I'm inspired to head out and pick up some bottles. Perhaps then I'll send you a turn (if I can find it).

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Hmmm... now I'm inspired to head out and pick up some bottles. Perhaps then I'll send you a turn (if I can find it).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what, while you are boozed, send me a setup. We still have that small matter of the draw to settle. You do the choices (I would prefer a canned scenario). Eagerly awaiting the file in my inbox.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-29-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...

Calm the nerves?!? Nay! I want to be so keyed up that when that first explosion touches off, I want to damn near fall out of my chair with my heart pounding out of my chest. My drink of choice is espresso and lots of it chased with a coupla Red Bulls. I want to have the jitters just like those green troops did! -tink-

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -tink-:

Calm the nerves?!? Nay! I want to be so keyed up that when that first explosion touches off, I want to damn near fall out of my chair with my heart pounding out of my chest. My drink of choice is espresso and lots of it chased with a coupla Red Bulls. I want to have the jitters just like those green troops did! -tink-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO, that is pretty much what I end up doing. Go to the first (and lowest view) then just move along with your troops during the resolution. And I will tell you when that first explosion of gunfire (or HE) nails the squad, first you say it (sh*t) then you do it!

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Germanboy

Seeing the proliferation of locked TCP/IP threads on the board, I thought I would do my bit for a more interesting board experience (and the benefit of the new members) to revive what is one of my favourite threads of all time.

This was partly inspired by my trip to Hastings, where I found a lovely pub in a village named 'Pett', halfway between Winchelsea and Hastings, and a liqour store that had Laphroaig on offer for only £17.99/bottle. It still is one of my favourites. Has anyone tried something new since the last time this thread was revived?

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-02-2000).]

Guest barrold713

Let me first state that if I had my druthers, I would always like to have any number of the premium single malts righteously praised through the ages of this fine thread.

There are times though that the investment of $40-75 USD conflicts with the financial philosophy of my portfolio manager (i.e. wife). Birthdays and Christmas will find me with a good bottle wrapped in shiny paper, but for everyday something less expensive is the compromise.

The solution? McClelland's single malts! They produce a pleasant although unremarkable scotch from several regions. They have a Highland, Lowland, Islay, etc., and I can pick up a bottle for only $19.97 USD. I have tried most of them and they are perfectly acceptable. A fellow might even transfer the contents into the empty bottle of the premium stuff to serve someone not on your 'A' list of guests. Not that I would do that, smile.gif but you could.

BDH

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barrold713:

A fellow might even transfer the contents into the empty bottle of the premium stuff to serve someone not on your 'A' list of guests. Not that I would do that, smile.gif but you could.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a very nicely shaped generic bottle that I use to store the Oddbin's (not sure, could have been Thresher's) own-brand Whisky in. The Island Malt they have is very good, and you can do away with the bottle. I don't have friends good enough to offer decent whisky, so that problem does not affect me biggrin.gif.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-02-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Hmm, I haven't tried the black label, so my comment was aimed at the red.

So maybe I should give the Black Label a try.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you want to try the JW Gold (if you can afford it): it's only half the cost of the JW Blue, but a lot better than the JW Black (which is not bad itself, I have to say).

I have an IV bag of JW Black hanging over my PC, which may explain some of my late night moves...

Anyway, here I am on another road trip down in Foobar-land, and what do I spy on the shelf tonight but Glendronach 15? Never tried it, golden opportunity, so down the hatch.

NOT recommended. Very alcoholic with a mediciny aftertaste. I was quite disappointed (the more so, since I passed up a perfectly good bottle of Laphroiag on the same shelf). I would be interested to know if our educated members have had similar experiences with the Glendronach, perhaps of different ages. Barring informed opinion to the contrary, it is off my list for good.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I would be interested to know if our educated members have had similar experiences with the Glendronach, perhaps of different ages. Barring informed opinion to the contrary, it is off my list for good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a good friend (who introduced me to Single Malt, the bastard) who is of the opinion that any Glendronach sold post-1992 is not worth drinking. It was apparently really nice stuff before then, but they changed something (maybe a corporate take-over, not sure) and it was never the same. So I have not actually bothered to try it.

GO! alt.booze.panzer

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-07-2000).]

While at my parents over the Thanksgiving holiday, I had the opportunity to try Glenfiddich "Special Reserve". Let me tell you, it was not a "Special" moment. I think I will reserve the rest of it for the drain in the kitchen sink. It was very clear in color, and the aroma and taste reminded me strongly of poor quality tequila - like the $4 a bottle stuff my roommate would drink in college. I would avoid this if you can.

------------------

CrapGame

Buying CM for yourself is like giving lingerie to your significant other. It's the gift that keeps on giving back!

Thanks to Germanboy for bumping this thread!!!

I'm definitly a scotch man (Single Malt = The Macallan, Blended = DeWar's), but something other than scotch (or the occasional beer) the other night that was great! You've probably heard of a "Cosmopolitan". Sounds like a girly-man kind of drink to me. But this was a little different. It was made wioth raspberry Stoli's and WOW was it good!!! I had 2 before I knew it and had to cut myself off. They were great!

I never drink anything but scotch or imported (Canadian or German) beer, but I highly recommend this drink. If you have a pallate for scotch, this makes a great diversion from the norm. Thanks.

COG

My wife introduced me to The Singleton single malt, very smooth to my palette. What I'd like to find is a tolerable blended Scotch that is still 86 proof. I can only find one in my area and it comes in a plastic bottle. I thought Scotch wiskey by definition had to be 86 proof.

If ever in Chicago check out the Duke of Perth pub, when I was there a few yeas ago they had over 2 dozen single malts at the bar and pretty good food as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Germanboy

Two words:

Caol Ila

Jesus Christ on a bicycle it is good. Bought a bottle of Fortnum&Masons's Connoisseur's Choice range for my parents for Christmas. It was distilled by Caol Ila on Islay in 1984, and bottled in 2000. 16 years old. The smoothest stuff I ever drank. The bottle does not come cheap at 26 Uk pounds, but what the hey!

Merry Christmas.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-26-2000).]

Being temporarily in a real city, I'll be out scotch shopping later today, as a matter of fact.

A sales manager just bought my undying loyalty for a 15-year-old Laphroiag which arrived just in time for the holiday. This will enable the astute to calculate precisely what my loyalty is worth...