Combat MIssion "Hit"

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beauty of Scotch is that there is a brand for any discriminating palate. I thoroughly enjoy Laphroiag, but if I want something lighter, Lagavulin is superb or lighter still ... an 18 y.o. Glenlivet.

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change." -- Oddball

"Crap." -- Moriarty

The beauty of Scotch is that there is a brand for any discriminating palate. I thoroughly enjoy Laphroiag, but if I want something lighter, Lagavulin is superb or lighter still ... an 18 y.o. Glenlivet.

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change." -- Oddball

"Crap." -- Moriarty

Originally posted by Moriarty:

With the resurrection of the 'flag planting' thread, I knew this one wouldn't be far behind... Good to have alt.booze.panzer back!

Moriarty, if you're into Laphroaig, try the 10 y/o cask strength! I was surprised at how good so young a whisky can taste, a real treat. Much better than the 'pre-diluted' stuff...

Marnix.

Originally posted by CrapGame:

As a stalwart fan of Lagavulin, it pains me to say this but, here it is:

I had Tullamore Dew this weekend and I really enjoyed it!

Hakko, Andreas, Mark IV, Chup, feel free to release the hounds on me.

Ahhhh,Crapgame(my favorite gamming pastime)you have discovered the mystery of life!!!!"Every man deserves his Dew" "TULLAMORE DEW" is the smoothest irish sipping whiskey this side of heaven and even gives "Chivas 12yr old" a bold test!!! I got ahold of this 30 yr ago and they stopped importing it to the USA 20 yr ago,Only way I could get it up till a couple of years ago,was thru a nurse friend of the wife's who went over to the old country every year or so and would bring 2qt.s back for me.Sadly she died 2 years ago and my son finished off my last bottle while the wife and i were away for the weekend last summer(the fur was flying after that).I had a small stash in an original irish crock bottle and it's almost dry when we get invited to a cousins wedding a couple of months ago and low and behold ;I spied on the desert cart a qt. bottle of

"The Dew".I ignored the bar for the rest of the day and promised to make a dent in this rare find.Btw I read on the back of the bottle that it was imported by "Hiram Walker"

------------------

"Git thar firstest with

the mostest"

:Nathan Bedford Forrest

Ahhhh,Crapgame(my favorite gamming pastime)you have discovered the mystery of life!!!!"Every man deserves his Dew" "TULLAMORE DEW" is the smoothest irish sipping whiskey this side of heaven and even gives "Chivas 12yr old" a bold test!!! I got ahold of this 30 yr ago and they stopped importing it to the USA 20 yr ago,Only way I could get it up till a couple of years ago,was thru a nurse friend of the wife's who went over to the old country every year or so and would bring 2qt.s back for me.Sadly she died 2 years ago and my son finished off my last bottle while the wife and i were away for the weekend last summer(the fur was flying after that).I had a small stash in an original irish crock bottle and it's almost dry when we get invited to a cousins wedding a couple of months ago and low and behold ;I spied on the desert cart a qt. bottle of

"The Dew".I ignored the bar for the rest of the day and promised to make a dent in this rare find.Btw I read on the back of the bottle that it was imported by "Hiram Walker"

------------------

"Git thar firstest with

the mostest"

Ahhhh,Crapgame(my favorite gamming pastime)you have discovered the mystery of life!!!!"Every man deserves his Dew". "TULLAMORE DEW" is the smoothest irish sipping whiskey this side of heaven and even gives "Chivas 12yr old" a bold test!!! I got ahold of this 30 yr ago and they stopped importing it to the USA 20 yr ago,Only way I could get it up till a couple of years ago,was thru a nurse friend of the wife's who went over to the old country every year or so and would bring 2qt.s back for me.Sadly she died 2 years ago and my son finished off my last bottle while the wife and i were away for the weekend last summer(the fur was flying after that).I had a small stash in an original irish crock bottle and it's almost dry when we get invited to a cousins wedding a couple of months ago and low and behold ;I spied on the desert cart a qt. bottle of

------------------

"Git thar firstest with

the mostest"

Ahhhh,Crapgame(my favorite gamming pastime)you have discovered the mystery of life!!!!"Every man deserves his Dew". "TULLAMORE DEW" is the smoothest irish sipping whiskey this side of heaven and even gives "Chivas 12yr old" a bold test!!! I got ahold of this 30 yr ago and they stopped importing it to the USA 20 yr ago,Only way I could get it up till a couple of years ago,was thru a nurse friend of the wife's who went over to the old country every year or so and would bring 2qt.s back for me.Sadly she died 2 years ago and my son finished off my last bottle while the wife and i were away for the weekend last summer(the fur was flying after that).I had a small stash in an original irish crock bottle and it's almost dry when we get invited to a cousins wedding a couple of months ago and low and behold ;I spied on the desert cart a qt. bottle of

I hope I can get it here again!!

From the London Times this morning:

Macallan whisky is teetotal Speaker's brand

BY ROLAND WATSON

MICHAEL MARTIN came within a whisker of breaking the habit of a lifetime when he helped to choose a whisky to bear the Speaker’s name and coat of arms.

The election of Mr Martin, Westminster’s best known teetotaller, to succeed Betty Boothroyd had thrown MPs and the Commons authorities into a flap over whether he would end recent tradition by failing to endorse a malt. His abstinence presented the most obvious stumbling block, leaving some MPs concerned that they would no longer be able to impress their constituents with presents from the Commons gift shop of the Speaker’s special brand of scotch.

Unwilling to disappoint, Mr Martin enlisted the help of MPs on the “all-party scotch whisky group” to aid him in the onerous duty, with guidance from David Robertson, a master distiller and nosing expert. The result of the blind tasting of four whiskies, though Mr Martin restricted himself to sniffing sample measures, saw the Macallan 10 Years Old crowned. It will soon go on sale as Mr Martin’s single malt. The Macallan, from Speyside, the area that produced Miss Boothroyd’s chosen tipple, defeated strong challenges from Highland Park of Orkney, the Famous Grouse Vintage Malt 1987 and Bunnahabhain from Islay.

The choice plugs a gap in the market which had existed since just before Christmas when the final bottles of Miss Boothroyd’s choice were snapped up by MPs.

So if my recommendation was not enough for you, you now have the English legislature as well. The Macallan 10-yr really is very nice.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

[...]So if my recommendation was not enough for you, you now have the English legislature as well. The Macallan 10-yr really is very nice.

Amen to that! So are the 12, 15 and 18 y/o (progressively more expensive of course). I haven't had the chance to try the 25 y/o yet though. Or the 40 y/o, but that one will probably remain out of my reach forever (at about US$2000 a bottle eek.gif ).

When I visited The Macallan distillery last year, I saw they also sell a 1920s, 1930s, 1950s and 1960s-style Macallan, attempts to recreate the taste from those periods (the 1940s is apparently inferior, not surprising when you consider the shortages of just about everything during those years). Has anyone here tried one of those 'historical' Macallans?

Marnix.

[This message has been edited by Marnix (edited 03-02-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

So tonight at the local Albertson's (mass food chain) I note they have delved into quality scotch.

Among the usual suspects are the "Dew" line of single malts. I have never heard of them and they are suspiciously cheap. There is an Islay Dew, and a Speyside Dew, from a Ewen (or something) distillery in Leith. There is florid but vague prose on the label of each, which is absolutely useless.

These gems are $15.99 for 750ml. I don't expect them to win any competitions, but does anyone knowledgeable (i.e., freer with their 16 bucks than me) know whether these are worth the investment?

Being conservative, I instead purchased some Dry Sack, some Heineken, and brought them home to meet my old friend Johnnie. Being ecumenical, I have indulged all 3.

Obligatory WWII content follows: This investigation has relevance to the simulation of wartime expedients in the production of vital materials under budgetary constraints. DO NOT DRINK THE RESULTS OF THIS STUDY. This is a simulation. Or a reenactment. It's living history. Oral history, in fact....

I take it that nobody else thinks McCormick's vodka is a quality drink?

------------------

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, Classic threads, and more!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Mark IV:

C'mon you lamers, where's my review? Dast I risk the 16 bucks or not? Geez, if I was asking for a video card recommendation there'd be 22 posts and a flame war by now.

I never came across these, thanks be to God, and being a 'snobby elitist' (for a moment I was toying with the idea of re-registering), I would not drink them unless offered by a (no doubt cheap) friend...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

For Normandy battles I'd suggest a bottle of cider, preferably from Normandy.

Of course, for those with deeper pockets, some decent Calvados will do just fine.

Though usually it's Löwenbräu for me... With less limited funds I'd go for Lagavulin.

[This message has been edited by Zakalwe (edited 03-20-2001).]

Guest Madmatt

Okay, The forum seems to be having issues with threads over 200 or so messages so I am going to lock this one down and if you wish go ahead and start it up again.

Madmatt