Combat MIssion "Hit"

What an inspiring thread! Winding my way home I picked up a few half-bottles of some of the fine singles malts you have mentioned here.

And starting out with a wee sip of Laphroaig before dinner I can already tell it was a very good idea indeed!

Body to the point where I can almost skip dinner, mmm!

Actually buying them certainly put into perspective the value for money that CM offers though, ho!

M smile.gif

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

...Next stop, Johnnie Walker Black.

[...]

Many single malts WILL taste like cat piss until you've acquired the palate.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many, but not all! If you like the Johnny Walker Black Label, may I recommend the Mortlach (single malt, 16YO). It's the 'active ingredient' (i.e, the malt that the grain whisky is blended with) for the JW Black Label. Very subtle, as are most Speyside whiskies. It may be a bit difficult to come by, I bought one in Scotland but I don't think they export a lot. I'll post the address of the whisky shop in Dufftown if anyone's interested, they ship everywhere. Of course you may have to wait until they get their manuals printed. wink.gif

Also, if you, like me, enjoy The Macallan, their malt is used in the Famous Grouse blend (which they own), a good one to start with if you don't want to spend too much at first. Be careful with those single malts, before you know it you'll be spoiled and won't drink those cheapo blends anymore...

Marnix.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Mortlach, eh? I'll be looking for that. Never had it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whaddayaknow, the Dufftown Whisky Shop even has a website! The Mortlach is in the top picture, the bottle on the top left shelf, the dark one, under the plant. I kid thee not!

Marnix.

Charles,

I am glad you liked the Dalwhinnie, IMO it is one of the better Highland malts. If you get a chance try Dalmore, i enjoyed it also.

The Islay malts (eye-lay) can be overwhelming at first but if you acquire the taste they are some of the best.

Lagavulin (la-ga-voo-lin) and the

Laphroaig (la-phroyg) are definately worth trying. The Bowmore Legend is also good but not as smooth as the Lagavulin. Some of the older Bowmores can be fantastic, the 17 year old is worth trying.

Slainte, (cheers)

Bratch

Germanboy, MarkIV,

Tried the local liquor store during my lunch break here at work, and found myself a 10 yr old bottle of Laphroaig, and a 10 yr old Talisker as well. Can't wait to get home, crack open my CM, pour a snifter of Talisker and get a glimpse of Paradise. My only regret is that Lagavulin seems to be rarer than the Sushi I had for dinner on Friday.

Something else to look forward to I guess.

Cheers

------------------

CrapGame out

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

My only regret is that Lagavulin seems to be rarer than the Sushi I had for dinner on Friday.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only real Sushi i served on the west coast (of Japan, of course...) That Tokyo stuff is disgusting, Kyoto is too far from the coast and you are a brave man for eating it in NY... So consider yourself lucky that Sushi is scarce where you are.

Enjoy the drinks and have one on me.

------------------

Andreas

My girlfriend is Japanese, so I eat sushi at least once a week, plus Thai, Vietnamese, and Korean all the time. I eat many things that I once considered bait, or worse.

And because I don't have my game yet and I'm leaving town Wednesday AM, I am relegated to posting drivel about drink and food. This is the only thread relevant to my condition.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

The only real Sushi i served on the west coast (of Japan, of course...) That Tokyo stuff is disgusting, Kyoto is too far from the coast and you are a brave man for eating it in NY... So consider yourself lucky that Sushi is scarce where you are.

Enjoy the drinks and have one on me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, many Japanese connoisseurs of sushi will tell you that New York has as good or better sushi than Tokyo. Much of the stuff that shows up in Tokyo is actually caught in the North Atlantic, flash frozen, then airlifted from New York to Tokyo. Also, most of the uni in Japan now comes from Maine (umm, sea urchin gonads...). If you're ever in New York, try Sushisay, Nobu, or, if you know the right people, the private dining clubs where senior Japanese execs and yakuza eat.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Hello guys,

Thanks for the great tips and thoughts on Scotch. I may just have to try it again.

I checked out the following site and highly recommend it for neophytes.

www.scotchwhisky.com

Plan on trying to find some Dalwhinnie or maybe even The Malcallan tonight on the way home to my (hopefully) beloved copy of CM!!

wink.gif

Cheers to all,

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

On the recommendations here, tonight I sampled a glass of Dalwhinnie, my first glass of 'real' Scotch. Ever.

Liked it. smile.gif A lot. biggrin.gif

Now please help me to avoid embarrassing myself (further). Please spell Laphroiag, Glenmorangie, Talisker and Lagavulin phonetically, so I know how to pronounce them when I order a glass and not have some big guy in a kilt come out from behind the bar and throw me out of the place yelling, "An doooan come backear tell yakin lurrrn ta speak tha Keng's English, laddeh!!" smile.gif

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better to be tossed out than used as a caber.

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost Dog:

El Misione Combatante-00.

A bit nutty and oakish,but hey.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I found the El Misione Combatante to have an odd taste, like lots of tiny pieces of white hot metal. It has an olive-drab color, and a bouquet of gunflint and cordite. Definitely a strange drink, but it has its devoted followers! biggrin.gif

Charles

Charles,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Personally I found the El Misione Combatante to have an odd taste, like lots of tiny pieces of white hot metal. It has an olive-drab color, and a bouquet of gunflint and cordite. Definitely a strange drink, but it has its devoted followers!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touche'

------------------

CrapGame out

I can't let this thread die... it's all I have now.

I've been hanging at http://www.laphroaig.com among others and it's much better than your average shill site. Linked over there from Gromit's post and thank you for that.

Interested parties, do pay a visit.

Link's fixed now, too.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 06-20-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

Evil evil evil thread - I went down to London today, and not only did I spend a lot of money on WW II books - no I also got a bottle of Scapa, and I decided to give Oddbin's (a UK highstreet liqour chain) own brand Islay Whisky (1990, aged 8 years before bottled, at which time the maturity process stops) a try. It is about UK£6-7 cheaper than lower end Single Malt, and I look forward to testing it. Given the typical UK summer, I can always use it to make Hit Whisky with it.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Evil evil evil thread - I went down to London today, and not only did I spend a lot of money on WW II books - no I also got a bottle of Scapa, and I decided to give Oddbin's (a UK highstreet liqour chain) own brand Islay Whisky (1990, aged 8 years before bottled, at which time the maturity process stops) a try. It is about UK£6-7 cheaper than lower end Single Malt, and I look forward to testing it. Given the typical UK summer, I can always use it to make Hit Whisky with it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddbins is probably pretty good. Look forward to an AAR. Scapa is, IMO, nothing special, more of a novelty really: whiskey made by Vikings. Orkney Islanders are much more Norse than they are Scots. Heck, they're closer to Bergen than they are to Edinborough.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Im pretty simple

6-pack o' Miller Lite - (only the best NASCAR beer will do) and a big ol, nasty chaw (chewing tobacco for you city boys).

It makes me feel... well... American smile.gif

GreasyPig

yes Sergeant Major Im a hick.

True story: While head'n to chow one day of my past, illustrious military career, I relaxed a little bit as I couldn't see any brass around. So I cocked my hat back and jammed my hand in my bdu pocket to.. you know.. play with my spare change. Bout half way up to the door I caught out of the corner of my eye some big, older soldier making an attempt to run me over! Scared the hell out of me! Startled I jumped back in one of those defensive half karate-kid swan positions then.. gaped! It was the dang Sergeant Major of the Post and ol "RED DOT" was pissed bout somethin!!! We use to call him "Red Dot" cause he use to go around the post on a crusade with a paint brush painting red dots anywhere he thought a soldier should be made AWARE that this equipment or place requires EXTRA SAFETY considerations. This whole thing with the dots started out well enough. Dots started appearing on heavy doors, blind hallways, awkward steps. But.. Me and the boys thought he went a little too far when dots started showing up on the Abrams, and Bradleys. Afterwards I said to my 1st sergeant "Top, if I find one of those red dots on the trigger of my M16 I'm gonna be a little worried bout the lack of faith in this outfit". Anyway, ol RED DOT was pissed, It took me a sec to figure it out then I jerked my hand out of my bdus like I had just touched a hot stove and snapped to parade rest ...but... forgot my cap. He looked at me REAL hard then started shouting "WHAT THE !#@$, WHAT THE HELL KIND OF SOLDIER ARE YOU YOU YOU !$@$%^&&^@, WHAT @$$%# COMPANY YOU IN. DOES YOUR COMMANDER EVEN KNOW THE KIND OF $@#$!^ SOLDIERS HES OVER!!". He then backs up a little bit looks at my cocked-back head gear and shouts for whole post to hear " WHERE IN THE HELL DO YOU COME FROM BOY!?!? ". Feeling really worried as I didn't know if I should answer or if this was a retoricle question I nervously waited. I must of looked pretty pathetic. "WELL!!" he said. So I answered... "IOWA, SERGEANT MAGOR!!". His beaddy little eyes unsquinted a little and his tight lips loosened into a little smile and then he just calmly said " Never mind." and then evenly walked into the chow hall. I was left there just standing. After a sec I fixed my hat and decided to nix the chow hall idea and have supper at the NCO club.

[This message has been edited by GreasyPig (edited 06-20-2000).]

So, last night, I enjoyed my first snifter of Talisker as I played Chance Encounter on the full game. Not only was the sound and visual effects stunning, but the Talisker is such a smoky scotch that I could smell the battle as well.

It really doesn't get any bettet than this.

good night all.

------------------

CrapGame out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

So, last night, I enjoyed my first snifter of Talisker as I played Chance Encounter on the full game. Not only was the sound and visual effects stunning, but the Talisker is such a smoky scotch that I could smell the battle as well.

It really doesn't get any bettet than this.

good night all.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crapgame; if you can possibly find it, and if your pocketbook can stand the strain, try the Talisker Distiller's edition. A tad peatier. The 12 yr old Bowmore is also quite nice

5m

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

A nice can of Sterno with some Iodine stirred in...

Oooooooohhh thats smooth.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and a little Coca-Cola for color, eh, Mr. Roberts

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

A nice can of Sterno with some Iodine stirred in...

Oooooooohhh thats smooth.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and a little Coca-Cola for color, eh, Mr. Roberts

------------------