Fionn? What about molotov coctails agains tanks?

A well-aimed Molotov can take out any tank in the world.

Get a nice solid hit over the engine intake or near an open hatch and you'll either suffocate the crew or burn them to death. It doesn't matter what size the tank is if you drop a molotov onto the engine deck or in a hatch.

Also keep in mind that a flaming liquid could easily find its way into a tank via ventilators and vision ports. Imagine the site of buring gas pouring into your tank while you are sitting next to MG and cannon rounds, not to mention the amount of gas fumes that must have been in there.

I read a Russian book about Kursk once and their mentioned that during the battle infantry took out many tanks by simply forcing their flamethrower nozzels into the air ports. Ouch.

MikeT

The germans (I think) used to use a magnetic anti-armor mine that the infantry carried around, in case they got close to enemy armor.

The problem was you had to have some serious kahonas to run up and stick on to an enemy tank.

(not sure if that was americans or germans)

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Guest Big Fat Guy

Mines were also a favorite German trick to use against tanks.

Do tank killer squads come in the final version?

Yes it was the germans who used magnetic mines to great success, especially against the Russians.

It was their own success with these mines that the zimmer anti magnetic coating (yes i know thats not the exact spelling)was introduced but turned out that nobody else used those magnetic mines to any great degree.

A great scene in "stalingrad" is when the Russians are advancing with armor on the foxhole position, it shows the germans running after the t-34's and placing their magnetic mines on.

Ya, now I remember.

Back when I was playing ASL I remeber having to roll the dice for a moral check using the German ASSLT engineer sqaud to run up and place the magnetic mine on the "Beyond Valor series".

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

The Finnish tactics during Winter War was to use a two-man tank destroyer team. One man had demolition charges and the other had Molotov coctails. The demolition man would throw his weapon first and after the explosion had either knocked the tank out or immobilized it, the other would set the stopped tank to fire.

The Soviets started to use metal nets on top of their tanks to cause Molotov coctails to bounce off. The response was to put some barbed wire on the bottle so that it would stick to the net and then to break the bottle somehow.

- Tommi

Guest Schuggerbaby

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

I wonder if molotov coctails were usefull against tanks.

I read couple of times that during Warsaw uprising Tigers were destroyed with molotov coctails.

Was this weapon effective against Tigers/Panters?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think one must be very lucky to take out a tank with a molotov coctail

During my infantry drill in the german army we used "mollies" just to blind the commanders and drivers views, then the other member of the AT Team rushes out from cover and deploys the AT mine.

During the Hungarian uprising all the soviet tanks, T34, JSIII, t54, etc were knocked out by molotov cocktails. A good tactic is to first throw unlit cocktails. This will allow the flammable liquid to run down into the tank, then throw a burning one or shoot a flare at the tank. You can add all kinds of materials to make the fluid sticky/smokier. It always takes alot of guts though.

Lewis

I made a Molotov when I was a kid, and threw it out into a local field. Kabloowee! Its not an ideal infantry weapon though, who wants to lug around glass jars of heavy volatile liquid? I think the Russians were doing some serious improvising.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to drag up this old-assed topic, but it's better than making a new one me thinks + I've just found a wicked Molotov link (follow this link and then click on "Molotov Cocktail" 1/2 down the page):

http://www.winterwar.com/Weapons/FinAT/FINantitank2.htm#THE MOLOTOV COCKTAIL

CM2 has got to have Molotovs, it's just got to!

[This message has been edited by 2B (edited 12-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

CM2 has got to have Molotovs, it's just got to!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Molotov's, magnetic mines and satchel charges are all close-quarters anti-tank weapons and thus modeled by the satchel charge already in CM. I don't see why they should model these seperate weapon types seperadly (for the graphics?) since they have the same method of delivery and effect.

I'm more anxious to see anti-tank rifles like that Impressive Finnish L-39 modelled in CM2. Good link!

Whacking Pzkw II's and Pzkw III's with AT-rifles should be fun.

Grtz S Bakker

Hrm, no, I disagree with that actually. The Soviet Union mass produced lots of molotov cocktails. LOTS. IMO if these were simply represented as satchel charges, you'd have to either deny them to units other than engineers, which would create an ahistorical underavailability, or make satchel charges available to all units, which would make for some seriously weird gameplay. Molotovs are great for burning stuff, but they can't demolish a house nor clear a minefield.

If you were arguing that they should be represented as part of the current way CM models close assaults, I'll go along with that, but I think making satchel charges and molotov cocktails interchangable would be a bad idea.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 12-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spider:

thicken your gas with soap, eggs or polystyrene and youll understand their value<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wellll.... that's a good way to thicken the gasoline and make a poor man's napalm, but for AT work I'd rather mix in some oil and kerosene- the oils burn longer and at higher temps with lots of smoke (great for asphixiating the crew) but is rather hard to ignite. Hence the kerosene / gasoline.

Well then Chupacabra, but how does CM model anti-armor close assaults? Is infantry presumed to have Molotovs, grenade bundles and such, or is an infantry assault on an MBT useless unless the infantry have a demo charge? To date, I think that all my infantry kills on armor have been via shaped charge weapons.

------------------

Also los, Augen zu, und hinein!

Chief -

If you have infantry close enough to a tank, and if they're not suppressed or otherwise unable/unwilling to do so, they'll attempt to close assault the tank.

This is represented graphically by your squads tossing hand grenades at the tank. This representation is an abstraction for someone throwing open the hatch and dropping in a grenade, or sticking a gun through the vision slits, or however else infantry might kill a tank.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.