First Computer/First Week Online

Wow! So this is the sort of thing I can find on the Internet. I should have done this years ago when my son first suggested it.

I downloaded and spent a couple hours with the demo. This old man feels like a kid again. Such fun even though I got wiped out.

This is the busiest forum I've run across so far, although I haven't seen many. Are any of you guys over 70? I'm curious about the age group that gets a kick out of this game.

------------------

Gilamonster

Welcome aboard, old-timer wink.gif

Seriously, all age groups are represented here. In fact, if you ever get into playing this game PBEM (play by email), you could easily wind up getting your tail handed to you by a teenager.

I have to give you credit, after only being on the internet a week, you certainly know how to pick a good spot to land smile.gif

Some time ago there was a discussion about age. I think the average was somewhere in the mid-forties for the people frequently visiting the forum. Although you wouldn't guess it when you see some of the posts occasionally...

GilaMonster: You sure did get lucky on your first try: I've never seen a community as friendly and knowledgable as this one. Welcome aboard!

I wish my dad (who's a 78) had your enthusiasm regarding new technology, as he's largely responsible for my interest in military history.

GAFF

I've resisted computers for many years, but I don't get around too well anymore and I need something to do. The boob tube (TV)is mindless and I've never been much of a reader. I've always liked the old Avalon Hill wargames so I've been poking around the internet for computer wargames. My son says anything can be found on the internet. So far it seems he's right.

Thanks for the tip on the search feature. A handy thing it is. I get more amazed at these computers every day.

------------------

Gilamonster

Totally O/T this is, but some fifteen years ago there was this Hardcore-punk Vinyl record-zine. There was a song on it(called 'how old are you') that started with a telephone interview with Paul Stanley from Kiss. The interviewer asks Stanley if they don't think they're getting a little old for this. Stanley's reply was: 'I don't think age has anything to do with it.'

I get the same question asked about games frequently, and I'm only 35 years old!

Dowatchalike, Gilamonster! you're never to old for anything!

------------------

I came, I saw, and I tripped and fell

Gila, welcome aboard, just for your information ... "for your information" is usually abbreviated FYI smile.gif Just wanted to toss that in.

ANYWAY ... if you liked AH products you'll think you've died and gone to heaven when you play CM a few times. Even youngsters like myself (50) think it's a great game. So again, welcome and if you haven't tried the demo yet, by all means download it. Then put your order in, they're shipping next week smile.gif

Joe

------------------

"I don't want them brave, I want them dead!"

Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

Welcome GilaMonster,

the rules state that all newcomers must buy a round of beer to all members.

I'm personally in the mood for an ice cold Guiness in a frosty mug, Thank you very much.

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

Gila, I'm aware of a couple of CMers here in their early 60's. You have it on us. Being of the age to have possibly tasted the military life in WWII, did you get in on it in any way?

My brother was in the Air Corps and found himself being being jerked around by a series reassignments near the end of the war, so that he never left Stateside. He would have probably ended up a B29 gunner in the Pacific had that business gone on.

Gawd, I thought I was the only ancient one hanging around this forum. Sure am glad to see some other old-timers. I discovered AH games in the early 70s (Bulge) and have been hooked since. BTW, GilaMonster, I live in Arizona where they have the real thing, among other nasty critters.

------------------

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Anon

Hi Gila,

I'm 32 from France.

Welcome in here and if you're willing to try some PBEM with an older one I'll let you play my dad.

THAT alone should give you a competitive edge seeing as you are ALREADY in here and he hadn't fathom that yet.

;°)

Hi Gelamonster

You will be pleased to note you are still referred to as a "Junior Member"-------you dont become a full member till your 100th birthday like all the other guys stumbling about here on this Forum.

Welcome, you bring a bit of fresh blood (literally when you start PBEM )

Hey grandpa,

I never knew so many old timers were even into any games at all, it would take me grandad and hour to type a sentance cause his arthritis is so bad, and he cant see very much or hear or comprehend much, hes 72. I must admire you.

I told him about you and he said i was speaking rubish and gave me a spanking, lol.

Im a lad of 14.

------------------

aka -panzerhsreck-

Thank you all for the very warm welcome! It appears I will be enjoying the forum as much as the game. I got whipped again last night, but I'm catching on.

I spent a great deal of time last night and early this morning just reading this forum. One of many things I learned is that the game is only available at this website. Is it REALLY safe to toss out credit card numbers over the internet? Has anybody here ever had a bad experience doing that?

Somebody mentioned "Sudden Strike" earlier. I'll pass on that one since it is an RTS game. I learned about those games a few days ago when my grandson brought "Starcraft" over to show me. It looked like it might be fun but I'm not that nimble any more. With Combat Mission I don't have to hurry and I love being able to replay the combat phase over and over so I can figure out what my men are dealing with. Of course, multiple replays haven't helped me too much yet, but I did a little better the second game. Maybe I should have bought a dumber computer.

Now it's time for game 3. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

------------------

Gilamonster

Hi! I've been ordering stuff on the 'net for 4 years now, everything from airline tickets to Christmas presents, and I've never had a problem. Most credit card companies limit your liability for fraudulent charges to about $50 or so although some exempt online purchases from this. It pays to check your cardholder's agreement. One thing alot of people don't realize is that everytime you give out you card number whether it's on the phone or in person in a store someone could use it fraudulently. I would recommend that you get anyone of a number of credit cards with online theft protection (search the 'net to find one) and start shopping! There's nothing like searching for that one hard-to-find item you couldn't find in any store and finding it in 5 minutes on the 'net and having it arrive at your door 2 days later! Welcome to the World Wide Web. Finally, if you're still concerned I believe you can place your order by phone.

Man! I'm a full member and you figured out the smiley faces before me! I have been put to shame, Gilamonster. Well done.

On a side note to Black Sabot:

An ICE COLD Guiness? I think you'd be breaking the most inherent of Irish traditions there, lad.