Is there any female here at all?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhhhh... I dont think girls dig the war thing, man. biggrin.gif

All my friends that are girls pretty much know there was a war between 1939-1945 between Japan n Germany vs The world.. n thats it. When i start goin on about its history or about watchin war movies.. they look at me weird.. frown.gif it amuses me.

Oh well.. we all have our peculiarities..

Zaff'

First off - yes, I'm a woman gamer. (That's one!)

Second off - I suspect there are a bunch of us lurking around, and even more who play the games but don't post on this forum. I think Fionn is right and that all the hassles we get if we make ourselves conspicuous as women just aren't worth it, whether that means being hit on, condescended to, or just plain insulted. I'm not implicating any of you guys -- this is one of the *more* respectful places I've found. I'm just pointing out that given gender stereotypes in this day and age, and given cultural attitudes of how it is acceptable to treat women, gaming culture *can* (but does not have to!) be a very unfriendly place for a woman to show herself.

That said, it should be clear that I'm not afraid to let you guys know I'm a woman -- those of you who are cool with it are cool with me as well, and I will happily beat any others into submission. =)

In general, the female gamers I have met (and the ones I know in the computer game industry) tend to shy away from wargames. Of course, that is a stereotype, but if you are collecting gender data the way that you are collecting age data, I would bet a lot on there being a huge skew towards males.

Loki - Gender is about as relevant to this discussion forum as age is. I believe the poster meant nothing harmful by it, just idle speculation.

Fionn - I believe you are correct, my female friends tend to get a lot of attention because of their gender, when it is known, for better or for worse. I have an opinion on the average age of discussion forums, and how it relates to such attention, but I will keep it to myself wink.gif

-Scorp

Oh, and I'd appreciate it if people like Zaffod wouldn't generalize about women not liking war or war games. The women you know may not like them, but that may mean you need to hang out with women who are more hard-core. =) There's a whole hidden network of us out here, who are just trying to survive the weight of expectations (from men and women alike) about what we *should* like or *should* be as women -- things are difficult enough as it is without hearing the same old arguments from within the gaming community.

As I see that you're relatively new to posting here, Shrapnel (from your profile), it thus behooves me to bid you welcome in the same way as I welcome any new CM poster here.

Even though I'm cool about you & other women posting here, and that you should feel every bit comfortable to do so and be extended the courtesy as given to any other gamers here, I can be bad enough in my play that you would still beat me into submission. wink.gif

If you've been lurking here for a while, you will find that a few gamers here can get pretty personal or even downright nasty. The grand majority of posters here, though, are well worth sharing comments or CM gaming tips with.

Ed

Shrapnel - sorry for posting my 'generality.' However, I have a very close female friend who works for Gas Powered Games, and she has stated that the statistics show that wargames tend to be low on the list of what female gamers like.

That isn't what they *should* like and it isn't making a statement as to what they *should* like, it is simply a matter of numbers.

-Scorp

Guest TomServo

I remember in the past(like november or something)there was another post about this, and there were a few then.

I think its nice. smile.gif But, i do believe telling my ex-girlfriend that i do ww2 reenacting, that was what made her brake up w/ me. smile.gif Like a week after i told her.. *poof* haha.. anyway yeah..

I wish more women would get into wargaming, that way when i find myself talking about historical crap, they are dumbfounded(not generalizing because i have met a few that knew their stuff, just most in my experiance). So, the more the merrier smile.gif

------------------

Formerly TomServo who was formerly Tom punkrawk

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shrapnel:

I think Fionn is right and that all the hassles we get if we make ourselves conspicuous as women just aren't worth it, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just wanted to say hello and you'll get no hassle from this guy.Your just another gamer.

I know of many female wargammers: they just play historical minatures, not computer games. This game, however, may just change that.

I'm bringing my laptop with me to my next gaming session, I know it's gonna go over big.

I did some work analyzing survey results and people almost always insisted that we asked people what their sex was, but in 90% of the cases there were no differences between men and women.

These were mostly opinion surveys about associations (like Medical associations), one of the surveys was about learning styles and again there was no significant difference between respondents whether they were males or females.

I think society fluctuates over time, sometimes it's socially popular for women to be involved in wars (e.g. the Celts vs. the Romans, in Gaul) and other times it's not (like Victorian times). We are only about 100 years away from Victorian times, so some of that lingers.

We are making progress though.

Also women are put against impossible standards, more so than men I think. (I'm male by the way). e.g. women have to be slim but at the same time they can't be flat so they are almost forced to go to the plastic surgeon. It's either one or the other, women can't be both. This is just an example.

Careers and doing the house work too -- women usually do 70% of the household chores, even when they work as many hours as their husbands. The husbands commonly overestimate how much housework they do, many say 50-60% but in fact it's more like 30-40%.

Suffice it to say that there are more difference within each gender than there are across the sexes.

Enough stats.

smile.gif

Aye, a couple of women gamers have written to me in the past week asking CM questions etc. They seem to be shy of posting to this forum because, IMO, all women are quite careful of letting it be known they are around since often it does lead to undesirables acting even more undesirable wink.gif. I've seen some of what they put up with in online games and some of it is not only puerile but quite pathetic. Guys can be such children.

Personally I think that they have a good method going here. Post but don't let anyone know your gender and everyone will generally assume you are male and the morons can't target them. Anyways, I firmly believe that the best way for everyone to post here is in a non-gender ID'ing way since that way everyone just judges everyone based on what they say. Even things like the age poll tend to skew how you view certain people who are either older or younger than you imagined.

Too True Fionn..

I've found a problem in some other on-line forums and in the games them selves. Most people (hell almost everyone) has no idea where my nick comes from (it is obscure).

Needless to say I'be been the target of a lot of male hormones who think that Lorak is Karol spelled backwords. Although I will give them credit for coming up with that.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

Most people (hell almost everyone) has no idea where my nick comes from (it is obscure).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lorak - God of the Sky, Birds, and Justice (Ruler of the Gods)

Right?

[This message has been edited by Pvt. Ryan (edited 08-03-2000).]

Pvt. Ryan,

Nope, I've seen something to that effect when searching the web.

The Oracles of the Gods of the Fey, long silent since the First War of Darkness began to stir. The Gods of Lorak were awakening, and what they saw did not please them. That they Fey would wage war on humans was an abomination.

But that isn't where I got it from... smile.gif

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

Guest Mirage2k

When I first saw your name I thought it was some sort of bizarre interpretation of Dr. Seuss' Lorax, but that must be way off. I'm stumped. Hmm...Lorak...the Ak of Lor...thorax...bug...nope, not a clue.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

What gender you happen to be tends to have little to do with your opinions and preferences. Whenever I see or hear of women acting irresponsibly, my reaction used to be "hey, don't do that, you're supposed to have more sense". Eventually I worked out that gender makes no difference. I hate stereotypes... people expect women to like shopping and babies, and supposedly they're smarter than men... whereas men are just witless morons who watch football and drink beer. In reality, if you group people by their character, you'll find equal numbers of men and women in each category. We're all just people - half of us are Model A, the rest are Model B - but that has little to do with the kind of people we are.

David