Gamey or Not?

What is the feeling on this, is it gamey to pick Airborne Infantry and Tanks in a QB without telling your opponent. Or is mixing different types of units ok? The reason I ask is because I love some of the British Tanks but hate the firepower of their Infantry, even with the organic mortar.

Thanks Pvt.Tom

I'd personally call this gamey, yeah. It's not as bad as using, say, American infantry with British tanks, but I would probably avoid it, or at least clear it with your opponent first.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Some players don't mind if you keep it within the nationality ... and don't go too far afield. It's best to talk with your opponent and agree on how "historical" you're going to go.

Example: German paras only get StuGs for support if you're playing historically. You may agree to go to any German medium tanks ... not historical but could be fun. Most players probably won't go for paras backed by a battalion of heavies, though ... unless it's a mutually agreed slugfest where anything goes.

Bottom line: Talk first, shoot later.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

Yeah, I know it happened. Happened elsewhere as well. But wouldn't you be the least bit suspicious if, in a QB, you suddenly found yourself face to face with a few companies of American GIs supported by Churchills and Fireflies, and when you asked him what was up, he said "Nijmegen?" I'd think twice about playing that person again.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

You saying that is was extremely rare to have an Airborne unit supported by armor? No, I have no books, or famous bull**** to cite, I'm just surprised. Seeing as the 101st landed early on the 6th of June and stuck around for a long time, I can't imagine that it was the exception to the rule for them to fight with armored support.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Guest MantaRay

I dont see the big deal about mixing tanks with AB units...even of other Nationalities. I think in small battles, this would even be kind of fun.

Lets stop throwing that word, "Gamey" around so much. It is getting played out.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Airborne troopies LOVED to get armor support... biggrin.gif

It's a pity so many people hate "gamey" tactics. If it works, it works. And if it's TOTALLY unrealistic, then that should be brought to the attention of the makers.

Just remember that in most modern wars, TO&E were only good on paper. No unit ever had only exactly what was written in the tables, and they frequently had less.

Just my $0.02 on that one... *shrug*

biggrin.gif

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

Edit: Oopsies... tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by I/O Error (edited 12-20-2000).]

I don't especially feel like getting into a discussion of whether "gameyness" is a problem or not. Do a search on "gamey recon" and you'll have all the discussion you can handle.

I prefer to play in a certain way, and I prefer that my opponents play the same way. I have no problem with people using whatever units or tactics they want in games, just so long as they're not with me. Maybe this makes me closed-minded. I have no problem with that. I have fun playing the way I do; I don't have fun playing otherwise.

Pvt.Tom asked for opinions, I gave mine. He can do with that what he likes. Simple.

------------------

As to whether or not its gamey...I would think that late in the war, especially from the german side, they threw together whatever forces they could muster for defense. Also, since there is a scenerio or two, such as "Drive to Caratean"(sp), with the game, then its legit to me to mix forces. I think the recon issue is totally seperate...using particular forces in they weren't usually used is a different topic all together...IMO biggrin.gif

Cav Scout

"If you ain't Cav...you ain't"

Please realize that some of us (most?) are not Grognards. And we have NO idea what armor units would or would not support airborne units. (or whoever)

But just because we may put a unit on the field with some other unit that would not have usually been there does not make it "gamey" at all.

I repsect the fact that you (Chupacabra) want to play historically correct actions. No problem, as long as you let you opponent know.

Me? I couldn't tell you which tank would or wouldn't be on the field of battle with which unit. And I don't much care.

Ok, US Paras supported by British armor I can see.... US Paras supported by a mix of US and British armor is pushing it. Churchills and Fireflys would be pushing it as they were never mixed, but Cromwells and Fireflys would be cool. Mixing Fallschirmjäger with Herr or SS would be cool, because it happened often enough in 44-45 to almost be the norm anyway. It is best to discuss it in advance.

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

I prefer to play games using historical TO&Es. To each his own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW, me too.