Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

What happened to the Combat Mission demos ? Will they return ?

Since Battlefront moved over to Slitherine the demo files of all those games seem to have vanished.

They cannot be found either on Slitherine.com, nor on Steam itself.

Will they make a return at any point ?

I know that Steam has a 2 hour/14 days-trial policy where you can return the game without any questions. However that may not be enough for potential customers.

This is not for me, as I have all the Combat Mission games.

8 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Then you are not going to like Matrix.  But steam lets you buy and try for a few hours of play.

You're right I don't like Matrix. And I don't like Steam either. I remember buying something many years back. The online receipt was in tiny black lettering on a dark grey background. So I didn't even see the bit about "buy and try", until after they had refused a refund. It turned the time allowed to play the game wasn't even enough to get through the tutorial. I might be in a minority of one, but I'm saddened to think the BFC want to work with such a bunch of (insert expletive of choice).

I've found dealing with Slitherine (the relevant part of Slitherine/Matrix for CM) to be good.  They respond to questions and requests for help, or if it's more appropriate I believe they'll send you in @BFCElvis's direction.  I haven't tried to get a refund though.  Why would I 😉?

Steam is for me perhaps less of a 'personal' experience, it seems more like a games-selling-machine than a group of humans.  However I have previously 'returned' a game within the 2 playing hours time limit and got an immediate refund (the game was so bad I can't even remember what it was).

All of which does not help with the lack of demos.  I would also like to see them return as I sometimes suggest them to new players.  I'm even trying to set up a PBEM with a new player (aka a neighbour of mine) using the CMBN demo which I downloaded some time ago.

As a wacky suggestion I wonder whether all of the demos could be made available at the TFGM Scenario Depot hosted by @Bootie?  Of course there may be some 'legal' reason why they can't, and I suppose it may not be the most obvious place for potential new customers to look, so putting them on the Slitherine site might be better overall.

Edited by Vacillator

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

As a wacky suggestion I wonder whether all of the demos could be made available at the TFGM Scenario Depot hosted by @Bootie?  Of course there may be some 'legal' reason why they can't, and I suppose it may not be the most obvious place for potential new customers to look, so putting them on the Slitherine site might be better overall.

Not a bad idea. I'll ask around. I can definitely post a link tot he demos, similar to the Mac downloads. 

I have had a bit of a problem with our demos for a while because they aren't updated to the latest engine. I think the CMFI demo may have been built with Game Engine 2. And I never got one for Cold War. I had a whole Demo page set up and ready to go once the Cold War demo was released because I wasn't keen on the demos being in each game's page, rather than a single Demos page.

But sumfink is better than nothing.

5 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

The fact that the demos are outdated makes them a lot less useful.

Perhaps, but when I played the demos of CMBN and CMRT it was enough for me to buy the games.  Only later did I become aware of the 'what needs fixing'.

But time moves on and they get older so if the suggestion is newer demos, I agree.

1 hour ago, Redwolf said:

Hopefully there will be some Charles time to rebuild them one more time.

Don't hold out hope, my brother. That is serious rearview mirror stuff.

But to tease a little, there is a HUGE amount of resources being put into CM3. As Steve said in a post......The team is very large. Our new partners know what you guys want and that is the focus.