Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMFI 1950 Korean Campaign: 38th Parallel WIP

Back towards the end of 2023 Kohlenklau created a 1950 Korean modification. I always admired his effort and was hoping more would come from it. Earlier than that I was working on a modern day Korean conflict called Red Dragon using the CMBS platform. A hard drive crashed erased about 3 months of work and out of aggravation with myself for not backing things up I dropped the project.

However I felt the time was had come to give Kohs mod its due.  So, with the help of my friend and modding guru @JM Stuff we have created a WIP called the 38th Parallel. It depicts the early semi-historical war actions of the 3rd Bn 34th infantry Regiment, part of the 24th Infantry Division as they attempt to slow the advance of the NKPA starting in July 1950.

My father served in Korea with the 82nd Airborne so this time period holds personal interest for me.

Koh's mod was quite amazing but JM and myself decided to modify it somewhat as there was some glitches that needed ironing out. Koh initially had the US represented by the Germans in CMFI and the British as the NK's. However since the late war US forces in CMFI had most of there weapon layouts we needed that were not in the initial mod we changed things up.

The NK are still represented by the British but I have added the ROK forces represented by the Brazilian forces. JM has done a wonderful job modding uniforms of all combatants in 3d and I have added patches and things to represent the forces involved. JM also managed to add 3d brush camo to the NK, which is amazing when these guys lie prone in grass or brushy areas you can't hardly see them.

Koh did a great job of adding the T-34/85 to the NK side and JM further enhanced it with 3d effects and markings. I also added details to the Sherman Easy 8 that Koh originally had in the mod. All the vehicles have JM personal touch.

I spent hours modding the buildings in CMFI to hopefully Korean style structures. The maps are a combination of heavily modified CMFI quick battle maps and some I created from scratch. The Korean terrain was difficult to create so hopefully I will have passed the test.

There are still a few glitches we are trying to iron out such as the occasional US or ROK soldier holding a ppsh. It's something in the weapon conversion Koh did but we have been unsuccessful in figuring it out. Also I have added a F4U Corsair in place of the P-47D, the pic of the Corsair will show up but it will still say P-47D. I haven't figured a way to change it. So the players imagination will have to suffice to overcome these minor details.

So far I have completed 3 missions of the campaign so it's still a work in progress. JM is still working on modifications for us. Understand most of the missions are defensive in nature early on as the regiment attempts to hold back the NK advance.

Here is a link to some screenshots to give you an idea of the look and feel of the campaign. I hope it will prove enjoyable and something a little different.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/36fc9sgoaavqw7d,n8ne4grd48ourr9,zffjmbr3d1zhf9f,5axu2oxjc0209gn,0uf04bqgpr9g395,kez3x8c6qgm4mxa,4a61vpawylfxq12,2cbd2w4475fpv0e,eaz7iogrjq526iy,pkbbkebo2zbocwk,6cworrp1hzloynp,vt1vso13u2m5hwc,egykvmg1fbglofk,vgcvjupx4yz5cvp,xq81xqxf7xl615y,onnjamp53npnfab,mr745x51jbf3zl3,dmuqpto0yz5stz5,xndbj44fk2xq58i,kgxolt7g85bzvng,bms4cfox8dhds37,uq1p4aqqoljbqmr,npvjuwiiu403ilt,6g0jtf3l88uvhix,e3gusrm3ykmn9mg,3ugyxljqc68cl12/shared

Edited by dragonwynn

When Michael offered me to make another campaign and mods, I didn't hesitate for a second to support him, because I like to create new things and put them into practice.

However, we must give Caesar the credit he deserves.
I thank the way Michael highlights me to help him in his task but it is also necessary to note the great work done by himself, I am only a "Romanus Barus" at his side, by his knowledge to be able to create all the campaigns that he has undertaken alone so far, it is with great pleasure that I offer him my support, but we must not forget the work behind the scenes with the realization of the complete campaign, the creation of the scripts, and the compilation of all these parameters where I have no knowledge at the moment, and also the many tests that must be carried out,
it is therefore with a smile that I support Michael in his projects and I will support all his future actions on CM, and at the same time I know that I will be able to count on him and put his knowledge into practice, when I present mine to him, which are not the least.

We hope that this campaign will please you and give you a lot of pleasure.

19 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Kohlenklau created a 1950 Korean modification. I always admired his effort

He did a good job, and it seems you are carrying on that great work.

Have you or @JM Stuff been in touch with Phil?  I can tell him what's going on if not?  To be honest I keep trying to bring him back and something like this might help.

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Have you or @JM Stuff been in touch with Phil?  I can tell him what's going on if not?  To be honest I keep trying to bring him back and something like this might help.

Yes please. I would love to have him know what we are doing with his excellent mod. I have not had any contact with him and would like him to maybe help with the weapon conversion issue we are having. Thank you.

15 hours ago, Vacillator said:

He did a good job, and it seems you are carrying on that great work.

12 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Yes please. I would love to have him know what we are doing with his excellent mod. I have not had any contact with him and would like him to maybe help with the weapon conversion issue we are having. Thank you.

Exelent initiative Tim !

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

I've emailed Phil and told him a little to whet his appetite.  I also sent him a link to this thread.  He replied with a thankyou, so my fingers and toes are crossed that he takes a look. 

Hi Phil if you do 😉.

Thanks for reaching out. Hope he gives it a look and might be willing to help me work a few bugs out. I really want him to be proud of his mod. It motivated me to do this project thats been in my head for a while now. I also did a campaign for his Finnish Mod Team in CMRT.

Hey guys. Just popping in from retirement to help out. I do sincerely appreciate CM modders and the time they invest. Anything you want to do to anything I had previously made...HAVE AT IT!

How can I help you? I will give it a try based on stuff you said above.

Issue: PPsH is showing in odd times? I took a quick look at my mod z folder and saw I had modded both the Sten and Thompson to be the PPsH. I think I only purchased US troops as Mountain Battalion so they ONLY had the M3 Grease gun. Try to delete those weapon swaps out of the mod and see if it solves the issue?

I only used "some" Germans as US in order to bring in the "super bazooka" - which was really the PanzerShrek. Mostly the US were the US. :D

Issue: P-47 should say F4U Corsair. Hmmm. I have edited in various mods the string file to change some annotations in the GUI. That should easily solve that minor issue. Be advised that if a new version of the game comes out then it gets a new string file.

Best wishes guys

~Phil

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

Issue: P-47 should say F4U Corsair. Hmmm. I have edited in various mods the string file to change some annotations in the GUI. That should easily solve that minor issue. Be advised that if a new version of the game comes out then it gets a new string file.

Hey Phil. Good to hear from you. Hope you are well. 

Ok to the mod: I went into the string file and tried changing the P47 to Corsair. Based on what I saw it needs to be in alphabetical order so I removed the P47 and wrote in Corsair. However in game it still showed P47 with the Corsair pic. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

Issue: PPsH is showing in odd times? I took a quick look at my mod z folder and saw I had modded both the Sten and Thompson to be the PPsH. I think I only purchased US troops as Mountain Battalion so they ONLY had the M3 Grease gun. Try to delete those weapon swaps out of the mod and see if it solves the issue?

I took out the Thomson folder from the weapon swap but when I did the US and NK are sporting sten guns. When the Thompson folder is in the NK have the ppsh as they should but officers and some drivers in the US also carry it. It’s random. 

I am using the armored infantry as the US, Brazilians are ROK. JM tried to swap some files around as well but the ppsh still shows up randomly.

Its a minor thing but im anal about details lol. 

Anyway if you can see where I am messing up in the string file on the corsair please enlighten me.

One other issue we had. The Korean voice mod sounds real slow, like a 45rpm record at 33rpm. I am using a Japanese voice mod right now. Have any idea what would cause this? Maybe recorded at the wrong bit rate that the game recognizes!

It’s great to hear from you and I want to do you proud on your mod. It’s a great piece of work. I’m surprised no one did anything with it. Give JM a personal message I am sure he will be happy to hear from you.

Edited by dragonwynn

1 hour ago, dragonwynn said:

Ok to the mod: I went into the string file and tried changing the P47 to Corsair. Based on what I saw it needs to be in alphabetical order so I removed the P47 and wrote in Corsair. However in game it still showed P47 with the Corsair pic. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I will mess with it and report back. The string file might have several P47 entries. Search them all out and change ALL to CORSAIR.

I took out the Thomson folder from the weapon swap but when I did the US and NK are sporting sten guns. When the Thompson folder is in the NK have the ppsh as they should but officers and some drivers in the US also carry it. It’s random. 

Well, sometimes in mods you have certain formations/timeframes you purchase that work or at least work better than others. Similarly, some formations do not work very well with a mod. Maybe try to make the truck have a conscript driver to change the Thompson PPsH to just a carbine? Or have trucks be Brazilians or another CMFI nation might work? 

One other issue we had. The Korean voice mod sounds real slow, like a 45rpm record at 33rpm. I am using a Japanese voice mod right now. Have any idea what would cause this? Maybe recorded at the wrong bit rate that the game recognizes!

I am sure I screwed a few up. Most sounded fine to me. I spent quite a few hours doing those voices from an old North Korean propaganda movie. But I wonder if you have my latest efforts? I can take a look at the file dates. Let me know your general file dates for the sllllloooow voices.

4 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

am sure I screwed a few up. Most sounded fine to me. I spent quite a few hours doing those voices from an old North Korean propaganda movie. But I wonder if you have my latest efforts? I can take a look at the file dates. Let me know your general file dates for the sllllloooow voices.

Yea I know what you mean. I did them for my Red Dragon campaign, used an online translator then took them into a sound editor to change the pitch so they wouldn’t sound so monotone. Sounded pretty good once done but was a pain in the *** lol.

There was one guy in your mod that was still talking British. JM and I went through every file you had but still couldn’t find him lol. 

But it’s all the voice files that are slow on my system. I use a Mac so not sure if that has something to do with it. I’ll check the file dates and let you know.

I did a quick test on the string file and had P47 change to CORSAIR so it is possible

It looked like this

CORSAIR                      Fighter

Thunderbolt                 Bomber

So CORSAIR popped in with my quick test. You would then also change Thunderbolt to maybe F4U?

Or better is vice versa.

F4U                              Fighter

CORSAIR                     Bomber

or Corsair, whatever you desire

Edited by kohlenklau

The string file has at the very bottom 

<E>ZSU-23-4

so go UP and towards the letter A.

You will see <E>Thunderbolt  change it to Corsair

farther up you should see the P's

P-40F

P-47D

P-51B

P-51D

EDIT: It changes it in the purchase screen and in the GUI. I always had this part of the mod as a "Nice to have" with the gamer understanding he could place this outside the z folder when not needed

Edited by kohlenklau

2 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

well, uh, what was he saying? That is a clue on where to look if I goofed up. Not if! :D

EDIT: I can take a look if you remember what it was he was saying...

To be honest I can’t remember. I think it was general chatter. 

Thanks a bunch on the help with the string text I’ll check it out