How the 'Tiger-fibel' and 'Panther-fibel' came about - a short history

I fell down this rabbit hole when doing some research on panzer crew training for my panzer tactics series.

Its interesting this approach still resonates in more modern military manuals, guess attention spans of teens has not changed that much in 80 odd years...! 

Edited by George MC

7 hours ago, George MC said:

I fell down this rabbit hole

Worse than that George, at a comedy night in our village, the comedian asked if anyone had any Nazi books (whatever they are) and my wife shouted out that I did, based on such classics as Panzers in Normandy and The Battle of the Bulge Then and Now. 

I am now the 'Nazi in the village' 😂.

More oddly, I was approached afterwards by a lady I knew, who offered me a copy of Mein Kampf.  I refused, saying it is not a good read 🤪.

7 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Worse than that George, at a comedy night in our village, the comedian asked if anyone had any Nazi books (whatever they are) and my wife shouted out that I did, based on such classics as Panzers in Normandy and The Battle of the Bulge Then and Now. 

More oddly, I was approached afterwards by a lady I knew, who offered me a copy of Mein Kampf.  I refused, saying it is not a good read 🤪.

I hear you, Tim. First time my cleaning lady cleaned my study room, she thought I was some military nut, with all my books,military medals, battle paintings, swords and other weapons. She now knows me as quite harmless and peaceful, but one can't be too careful with proclaiming our 'hobby'. 😀

11 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Ha! Ha! Excellent story! I always have to explain my book collection when people come to visit. I feel I need to provide context to what they are seeing! Luckily majority of my close friends ‘get it’ and are mildly interested in the subject themselves  

Yeah never read MK and never will. 

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I hear you, Tim. First time my cleaning lady cleaned my study room, she thought I was some military nut, with all my books,military medals, battle paintings, swords and other weapons. She now knows me as quite harmless and peaceful, but one can't be too careful with proclaiming our 'hobby'. 😀

He! Aye for sure :)

9 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

If anything, I'd guess it's worse now.  🤣

I suspect it is.

I notice it in my professional life with younger people. Requires a whole different approach based around very short snappy chunks of info! Still too much text on these old books and you can’t interact with anything ;)

11 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I couldn't help but imagine this as an episode of "Keeping up Appearances" :)

6 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I couldn't help but imagine this as an episode of "Keeping up Appearances" :)

I'm not sure if that's a reflection on me, or our village?  😂  Either way, I think you're saying I should be called Hyacinth, not 'the Nazi in the village'?

45 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I'm not sure if that's a reflection on me, or our village?  😂  Either way, I think you're saying I should be called Hyacinth, not 'the Nazi in the village'?

This really minds me of the Father Ted episode when Ted is seen (mistakingly) doing a Hitler impression…

9 hours ago, George MC said:

I suspect it is.

I notice it in my professional life with younger people. Requires a whole different approach based around very short snappy chunks of info! Still too much text on these old books and you can’t interact with anything ;)

Very much so.

I hire about 400 lifeguards every summer and though we have some as old as 62, the vast majority are teens and 20's and it gets worse every year.

2 line emails have to be sent 4 times to get most of them to read it and so on.