Kohlenklau's 3rd Annual Christmas 2023 Scenario Challenge!

kohlenklau

LET US DO THIS AGAIN! I give everybody quite a bit of time. Make a scenario for the community.

The 3rd time is the charm is this year's motto!

Alright, 105 days until X-mas. (Julian 358-263=105).

Let us swamp the community with some scenarios. Use or modify an existing map if you need to (and give polite credit in your briefing or designers notes to prevent accusations of being a dreaded parasite!). Make your own simple map! Use the new CM AutoEditor? No Rembrandts are required! Dial it down to 208 x 208, if needed, the teeniest tiniest map you can make. ANY SIZE MAP IS GOOD! That's what she said! Playable from only one side is AOK. Just make sure to say that guidance in the main cover description. Use just a tiny force. Put the AI on defence and the AI plan is EASIER! Use just a small timeframe of 10 minutes!  I (and a butt ton of others) am here to lend a hand to answer questions or go now and read the famous JonS scenario guide pdf in your main install folder. All these different titles can use some new juices. I got a couple coming down.

Or whatever size map and time you want!

In 2021 we got between 16 and 20 new scenarios.

In 2022 we got 14 new scenarios.

I am not a CMCW, CMSF2, CMBS modern war bubba but please use this as a reason to make a scenario for those games. This is not just for WW2 games. 

Best wishes and who wants to post a pledge to make a scenario?

I will try to have my campaign ready for Xmas. Try.

Also ... anyone is welcome to use in whole or in part any of my maps, scenarios or mods. Or to modify them to your taste. They are out there for everyone to enjoy. No need to ask my permission.

50 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Another "I will try" here...

3eoou5U.png

... a miserable September morning sees a reinforced US mechanized platoon trying to delay a Soviet MRB at a small village called Hohkeppel.

Always in favor of more CMCW scenarios. I'm actually surprised at how few CMCW scenarios have been made so far (I only count 13 on the Scenario Depot so far).

Edited by Centurian52

On 9/28/2023 at 11:25 PM, Centurian52 said:

Always in favor of more CMCW scenarios. I'm actually surprised at how few CMCW scenarios have been made so far (I only count 13 on the Scenario Depot so far).

I don't know how many people play CMCW compared to the other CM titles. But apart from that CMCW is really about mechanized warfare with large formations. The WW2 titles are fun with just a company or less on both sides but for CMCW to really shine we are talking battalion level with plenty of room to stretch your legs and have those long engagement ranges. That means large maps and making those can be really daunting task. The teaser image above is from a 1840m x 2560m map.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

COMING SOON! "Operation Coup de Main" should be done for Christmas. As of today all individual (12) scenarios have been completed and tested 'free standing'. Appear to play okay. Tested in both "scenario author" and "iron" modes. Campaign compiles okay after discovering that one should not substitute the word 'and' with '&' in the syntax. The next and final phase begins tomorrow and will consist of evaluating if the Refit, Repair, Restore and Rest values strike an appropriate balance between the situation and game flow.

• 4 weeks later...

20 days until Xmas.

I have a Korea scenario in AI plan play testing...

ROK REBEL'S ROOST

KOREA1950mode1.png

ROOSTER-Op-Map.png

Poplar-CFTac-Map.png

UN Blue scheme for these images.

Briefing for US player:

1200, 10 July 1950. 500 yards east of Chonui, Korea. The sky is a haze with a light wind from the west. It is hot and the ground is very dry. 

^

The North Korean 4th Division (commanded by Major General Lee Kwon Mu) with Colonel Choe U Silk's 107th Tank Regiment was attacking south from Chonui. Earlier in the morning, the North Koreans mauled the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment. The battalion held for three hours against the North Korean onslaught. But two mistaken attacks, one from USAF F-80 fighters and the other a bombardment from friendly 155mm artillery were too much for these green troops to endure. Soon, the battalion was running in headlong flight to the south despite the regimental commander, Colonel Richard W. Stephens' efforts to maintain order. Colonel Stephens ordered his 3rd Battalion to regain a low ridge east of Chonui.

^

You are Lieutenant Colonel Jensen and command the 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment. You have 2 understrength rifle companies supported by four M-24 Chaffee light tanks.

^

Your enemy are believed to be elements of the North Korean 4th Division with tank support from the 107th Tank Regiment. 

^
You have 35 minutes to accomplish your mission to attack the ridge and clear it of the enemy. Victory is settled by post-battle analysis by the human player. If you have cleared the North Koreans off of the ridge, you have won. Any that are still there might be cowered or broken and might not count. 

^
The 3rd Battalion commander, LTC Pryor, became a non-battle casualty and was unable to carry out the order. Colonel Stephens immediately replaced him with LTC Carl C. Jensen. At about 1200, with the support of four M-24 Chaffee tanks, LTC Jensen launched his counterattack on the ridge. A firefight ensued with the defending North Korean infantry on the ridge. M-24 Chaffee tanks from the 24th Reconnaissance Company and Company A, 78th Heavy Tank Battalion engaged in the first tank-to-tank action of the war. One Chaffee tank achieved a "lucky hit" and killed a T-34/85. Two M-24s were knocked out in the process, while at least one M-24 (Rebel's Roost) survived the action. It was "no small achievement", but the 3rd battalion soon regained control of the ridge. Jensen's victory was short-lived. The next morning, the North Koreans executed a nearly perfect text book attack that regained the ridge, killing LTC Jensen in the process.

Edited by kohlenklau

32 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

The next morning, the North Koreans executed a nearly perfect text book attack that regained the ridge, killing LTC Jensen in the process.

If it's this guy, then I think you're selling him a bit short :)

https://militaryhallofhonor.com/honoree-record.php?id=216819

Do you know if he was of Danish descent? His name sounds like it.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:05 AM, Bulletpoint said:

If it's this guy

I will put your research into the designer notes. Thanks.

I don't know what nationality he came from. Sounds Danish. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REVISED BRIEFING

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1200, 10 July 1950. 500 yards east of Chonui, Korea. The sky is a haze with a light wind from
the west. It is hot and the ground is very dry. 

^

The North Korean 4th Division (commanded by Major General Lee Kwon Mu) with Colonel Choe U
Silk's 107th Tank Regiment was attacking south from Chonui. Earlier in the morning, the North
Koreans mauled the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment. The battalion held for
three hours against the North Korean onslaught. But two mistaken attacks, one from USAF F-80
fighters and the other a bombardment from friendly 155mm artillery were too much for these
green troops to endure. Soon, the battalion was running in headlong flight to the south despite
the regimental commander, Colonel Richard W. Stephens' efforts to maintain order. Colonel
Stephens ordered his 3rd Battalion to regain a low ridge east of Chonui.

^

You are Lieutenant Colonel Jensen and command the 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment. Your
men are just off of the soft life doing occupation duty in Japan (The 24th Infantry Division).
You have 2 understrength rifle companies supported by four M-24 Chaffee light tanks. Some of
your men are seasoned WW2 veterans but most are the draftees of a nation convinced that all
future conflict is most likely an atomic war. Ammunition levels reflect the sorry state of
logistics during the first few weeks of the Korean War!

^

Your enemy are believed to be elements of the North Korean 4th Division with T-34/85 tank
support from the 107th Tank Regiment. They are dug-in on the ridge and have eyes on areas near
[or in] your set up zone so deploy carefully! 

^
You have 45 minutes to accomplish your mission to attack the ridge and clear it of the enemy.
Victory is settled by post-battle analysis by the human player. If you have cleared the North
Koreans off of the ridge, you have won. Any that are still there might be cowered or broken and
might not count. 

^
The 3rd Battalion commander, LTC Pryor, became a non-battle casualty and was unable to carry
out the order. Colonel Stephens immediately replaced him with LTC Carl C. Jensen. At about
1200, with the support of four M-24 Chaffee tanks, LTC Jensen launched his counterattack on the
ridge. A firefight ensued with the defending North Korean infantry on the ridge. M-24 Chaffee
tanks from the 24th Reconnaissance Company and Company A, 78th Heavy Tank Battalion engaged in
the first tank-to-tank action of the war. One Chaffee tank achieved a "lucky hit" and killed a
T-34/85. Two M-24s were knocked out in the process, while at least one M-24 (Rebel's Roost)
survived the action. It was "no small achievement", but the 3rd battalion soon regained control
of the ridge. Jensen's victory was short-lived. The next morning, the North Koreans executed a
nearly perfect text book attack that regained the ridge, killing LTC Jensen in the process.
(The designer notes contain additional info about this historical encounter...)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a scenario on the way, for CMCW, a US mech company team attacking at night in the desert.

Haven't really published a scenario, and I'm not sure how to wrap this one up. One AI plan is complete, briefing's drafted, and I suppose I can swap in screenshots for the strategic and operational briefing images. 

p.jpeg

Edited by MHW

Merry Christmas!

CMFI-KOREA-1950.png

Alrighty, here is what I have to offer you all for under the tree. The mod with 1 scenario to play as allies versus axis AI. Maybe more to follow later.

@Bootie Please upload to CMMODS. There is an image and a readme to paste for your website description. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/geb3uexdjidapkteoq4gx/h?rlkey=upqq0d2hpfszu0tv38cst5h1l&dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

Right... Well, I promised I would try. Anyway, I've uploaded what I have so far:

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-cold-war/cm-cold-war-scenarios/cmcw-a-miserable-morning/

It is really more of a map than a scenario, and the map lacks (proper placement of) flavour objects. There is an AI plan for the US but it is only partly working. No victoriy points, etc.

Oh well, it is really only a preview. 😔

For the general story look here:

This scenario is right at the beginning of the campaign. A Soviet MRB is trying to keep momentum and break through NATO lines while on the other side a reinforced US platoon in a forward position tries to buy some time for the company to dig in and setup a defensive line and if possible to keep the road open a little longer for elements of the recon platoon to make it to safety.