Just Purchased CBCW - will not run

snapbean

Are you running on Windows or Mac ? If you're running on Windows, is this a laptop or a desktop computer ? Do you have anti-virus/security software running ? Did you install the game to the default location or to a custom location ? Is the game executable file still in the game's directory or did it possibly get quarantined by your security software (if you're running any) ? Usually if a file can't be found you'll get a message on launch (from Windows) saying so.

This typically shouldn't be necessary, but you can attempt to launch the game by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu.

If it's a Mac, select the .app file, right click and select Open.  Then wait.  You might have to do that twice to get it to respond. It can take a significant amount of time to open the first time, and you'll have to say OK, or OPEN or some such in response to the malware/virus warnings. It's not saying there is one, just that it can't check. You can trust Battlefront software, so tell it to go ahead.

Once it has gone through this once you won't have to do it again. It will open in about 1 second flat, with no questions.

Dave

I seem to remember having an issue similar to this a few years ago. I was running Windows. My anti-virus was a bit too hyperactive and was quarantining the executable (it did this a few times before I finally just uninstalled the AV (I was using Trend Micro) and started just relying on Windows Defender). See if you can figure out how to check the scan history of whatever anti-virus you are using, and see if it has quarantined or removed any .exe files.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working with tech support on this issue and I'm getting nowhere.  I owned CMCW on an older machine and it ran fine.  I bought a new computer so I downloaded and installed CMCW on it.  Well it didn't work.  So I figured I needed to buy another copy for this new machine.  So uninstalled the old copy and download and installed a new copy and the new copy isn't working either.  I'm running Windows 11, btw.  I don't have anti-virus software running and I've tried to run it as an administrator.

Edited by snapbean

Tech support told me to:

1. Verify that "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is selected. If it is not, select that option and click "Apply" and then try and run the game.\

It was selected so they wanted me to add the .exe file to the DEP exception list and I did, but it still did not work.

They also wanted me to verify that the "Runservice.exe" file was installed and I COULD NOT FIND IT.  But I checked on my old machine, where CMCW is running fine, and that file doesn't exist on that machine either.  WTF?

Edited by snapbean

@BFCElvis Declan, you really should be advising people about installing VC Redist x86.  Particularly when they have a Win11 machine.

Mr Bean: no idea.  But the redist was usually pre-installed in Win10 (I think) so for most people the games just worked.  Not present in Win11 though.

After all of that work

Well my dear boy, I did advise you about 3 weeks ago to try this 😉

Edited by PIATpunk

5 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

I don't think I've needed it before but I will check it out now. Thank you!

I have the feeling that this kind of problem occurred on a regular basis recently and it would be understandable if the new pbem ++ system requires this. 

Not just here in the forum but on the few good men forum too. Plus I had  2 instances in my direct surroundings where this problem occurred and could be solved as in this case. 

So maybe a little note at the right place could help people to get it solved faster. At least the people at the help desk should add this one to their troubleshooting routine.