CMFI BEF 1940 MOD NOW IN PROGRESS

I just wanted to reach out to CMFI players that I am working on this mod. Anybody who wants to be involved can PM me. We can always use modders to help or folks who want to write scenarios for BEF 1940.

I am keeping progress posts over in the general discussion mod tips subforum.

I have stuff all over the place in this CM forum. I scratch my head sometimes on where exactly is best to write or record or note something that I am doing.

I picked this thread to show, for whoever cares to read it, how I will create my first BEF scenario. There are youtube videos and pdf's for CM scenario creation. I can't say this will be a great place to learn anything new but it will show how my brain works. Take it or leave it.

SCENARIO SEEDS:

I get inspired or get an idea from several of my usual places. One source is the ASL scenario archive. I honestly do not have a strong knowledge of France 1940. It seems like such a short timeframe of May-June 1940 but it DOES have tons of scenario seeds waiting to grow a CM scenario. the archive has a search engine and I found actually 2 small scenarios covering the same historical battle with just infantry and Universal Carriers aka "bren carriers". It was 21 May 1940 near Esquelmes, Belgium. The BEF unit was 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards, part of the British 1st Infantry Division (The Big Red One, hahaha just kidding, wrong army!) 

Nicholls and Nash

https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=58768

Carrier Assault on Poplar Ridge

https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=60991

Lots of great documentation on the battle.

https://www.historyhit.com/all-hell-broke-lose-how-harry-nicholls-won-his-victoria-cross/

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/war-diary-3rd-battalion-grenadier-guards-bef-sep-1939-to-jun-1940.27587/page-2

I have old maps from the 1930's.

txu-pclmaps-oclc-6624543-tournai-64.jpg

I have google earth.

I have started the map in CM. I am working on the mods for the Bren Carriers and the Grenadier Guards battledress.

I will keep you posted here how it shapes up over the next few weeks and then I HOPE to do a PBEM DAR here to display the scenario and mod.

I think I can make a mod to create 3 distinct Carriers! I will purchase the Universal Carrier, the Bren Carrier and the Vickers Carrier. I think they normally ALL look for the same bmp as a base model. But I can trick-fugg the mdr file to rename the bmp's they look for. I have some research to do for the formation signs. 

I don't really know what names they used for the vehicles in this unit (3 GRENADIER GUARDS). I decided to have the names start with the letter G. Poetic License.

Gwendolynn T5653

Gorilla T5637

Gosport T5644

Nothing new. Just using Google Earth and old maps to determine what goes on my CM map. I will press the magic override button and slightly move north so my Scheldt/Escaut River-Canal is easier to make in CM. National Route N50 will also be made to be vertical. Rue du Village might be able to be at a 45. No big deal. 

253-in-prog.png

254-in-prog.png

hmmmm. I think I will go with this layout of 880 by 440 or so. It grabs the defensive positions of the British. It shows the river there but nothing on the east bank, I don't think that is involved. It grabs enough of the town south of the Poplar Ridge and some to the north. So next step is to edit THIS image and just crop and save as special editor overlay dot bmp. It will be a multiple of the same 880 to 440 ratio. 2:1 aspect ratio. I think I grabbed it at 1650 x 825 pixels. Then make the CM map to be about 880 x 440. I think I can do 880 x 448 meters

255-in-prog.png

special editor overlay goes in your z folder...

special-editor-overlay.png

Edited by kohlenklau

I am juggling tasks. The bren carriers are the stars of the show for this scenario. I want 3 distinct carriers. Different markings as applicable and maybe even a slightly different camo pattern. Yowzer! 

Here is how I learn and track the different 3D surfaces so I can make the best 2D bmp texture I can.

I just add text in the bmp on a layer I can turn off when I export the actual camo scheme. I can see what is reversed, inversed or mirrored. :D

Tomorrow with a cup of hot java I will start the first one!

Gwendolynn T5653

Gorilla T5637

Gosport T5644

259-in-prog.png

I spent the morning dressing up Gwendolynn. 😮

She still needs a few items of make-up before she can go out.

260-in-prog.png

There are 3 universal carriers in CMFI.

Plain, Bren and Vickers. All use the same universal-carrier-hull.bmp

I edited the mdr file to slightly change the texture filename for Plain and Vickers to universal-carriep-hull.bmp and universal-carriev-hull.bmp.

This way I can have the 3 distinct vehicles. I hope EDIT: Yes! It works.

Edited by kohlenklau

I am calling GWENDOLYNN completed. This is my "best researched" portrayal of her as a Bren Carrier #8 of 3rd Company of the 3rd BN Grenadier Guards in the British 1st Infantry Division during May 1940.

I also removed the antenna from the Universal Carrier 3D model. @chuckdyke might want the mod...

262-in-prog.png

I am moving on to start GORILLA T5637 which will be armed with a Vickers HMG.

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

I am calling GWENDOLYNN completed

To me (not an expert in BEF matters) she looks good Phil.

Forgive me if I've missed news anywhere, but where are you on Panzer Is and IIs?   Just curious after we viewed the visually rather disappointing (to me) command version of the Panzer I.

28 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

but where are you on Panzer Is and IIs? 

Haven't messed with them since a while ago. But Rebecca and I have selected coloUrs for the dining room! :D Garden Salt Green for the lower edges and Limescent for the upper areas.

Reminds me that I had a question for the CMFI crowd but got no feedback. The vehicle I use for the Panzer I is an Italian vehicle. I am in a pickle. I have Italian tankers in their R35 being French but now again I have Italian tankers needing to be Germans. I have an issue with headgear. But the files in CMFI **SEEM** to show Italian bersaglieri feathered tank helmets. I can't say if I have ever seen these. I tried to find them in game but had no luck. If I can figure this out then I might have a solution for the pickle I am in.

Does anybody see the Bersaglieri Feathered tank helmet in use INGAME  in CMFI and what exact unit?

21 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Garden Salt Green for the lower edges and Limescent for the upper areas.

Sorry but I will have to see it in person to appreciate it 😉.

I don't have an answer to your question, and I'm currently playing as the Canadians in CMFI.  Not very well...

Alright, I didn't work in my dining room today but I did finally do something I had wanted to do for 3 years. The wife bought me a welding machine 3 years ago as a gift for my birthday? I forget for what. I cranked her up today (the welding machine NOT the wife you baztards!) and weld repaired a metal bench I had from Italy. 3 places needed repaired as the welds had cracked. Rebecca was the switch operator and we kicked butt! The welds were admittedly pretty ugly (amateur!) but I cleaned them up with my Dremel. But the operational test was successfully completed (we sat on the bench and leaned back!) and I shot some primer on the welds. Now I am back inside with a cold one.

I am thinking of how the set-up should be for this scenario of "POPLAR RIDGE"...

-I have a British reserve force behind the main National Route. Some scattered British are in the forward area. Leftovers from previous counterattacks.

-The Germans have made it to the Poplar Ridge area and take advantage of any craters/shell holes or other cover/concealment. Some reinforcements are programmed to arrive randomly back near the riverbank.

But on another topic. I was wondering as I am dealing with 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards is it No. 3 Company or C Company or what? Anybody know? BUT the War Diary clearly says "No. 3 company this, No. 1 Company that..." Did the British later officially change to letters for companies? My brain remembers the Might Munch from the Falklands when that Royal Marines "M" company took South Georgia. 

KEY PART OF THE WAR DIARY PASTED BELOW:

1940 May 20
A quiet day.
Battalion H.Q. to BAILLEUL.
The Battalion dug in during the night,
No. 1 Company Right
No. 2 Company Centre
No. 4 Company Left, and
No. 3 Company reserve,
immediately East of BAILLEUL.

1940 May 21
All quiet at Stand Down.
At 0730 hours a violent Artillery, Mortar and Machine Gun barrage fell on the whole of the 1st GUARDS BRIGADE front.
A determined attack was launched at the point of junction of the Battalion and the 2nd Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS.
A crossing was forced and Machine Guns, Mortars and Snipers got across the river, infiltrating on the left, and forced our men back as far as the PONT A CHIN road.
The open country held by our forward Companies was completely under enemy observation, and every movement made by our troops was dogged by accurate Machine Gun and Mortar Fire.
No.s 1 and 2 Companies stood firm, and Captain P.T CLIFTON with the reserve Platoon of No. 1 Company and some men of No. 2 Company under Captain P.J.C. RADFORD-NOROP organised an immediate counter attack and regained the line of the river bank.
Meanwhile Major W.R.J. ALSTON-ROBERTS-WEST Commanding No. 4 Company gathered the remainder of his Company and made a great but unsuccessful effort to regain the lost trenches.
In these attacks Machine Guns and Mortars accounted for Major A.R. WEST and 2/Lieutenant A.N. BOYD (killed), Captain P.T. CLIFTON, Captain P.J.C. RADFORD-NORCOP and Lieutenant The MASTER of FORBES (wounded) and many men.
Seeing that the situation was serious the Commanding Officer went forward in a Carrier and made a recce on the spot as there was no post from which he could see what was happening.
As a result one Section of Carriers was sent to cover the Right, and No. 3 Company was ordered to counter attack and regain No. 4 Company’s position.
Supported by one Section of Carriers under Lieutenant H. REYNELL-PACK and the Mortar Platoon this attack went in with great dash at 1130 hours, but the men were mown down by hidden Machine Guns mentioned above, although it got within a few yards of the river bank and the old positions it was impossible to hold them.
Lieutenant H. REYNELL-PACK in his own Carrier went right across the open country having spotted where the Machine Gun fire was coming from, and silenced the guns on the left, but still the fire was too heavy, so Captain L.S. STARKEY with the remainder of No.s 3 and 4 Companies took up a line covering the main road.
In this counter attack Captain R.E. ABEL-SMITH, Lieutenant H. REYNELL-PACK and Lieutenant The DUKE of NORTHUMBERLAND were killed.
Owing to the danger of the break through, two companies 2nd Battalion HAMPSHIRES were put under Command Major A.H.S. ADAIR, M..C, one taking up a position in support on the line of the road and one in reserve East of BAILLEUL.
Towards dark enemy Artillery and Machine Gun fire died down, and patrols sent forward found our banks clear of enemy, and the line was re-established.
The remainder of the Battalion being organised into one Company under Captain R.N. BRINCKMAN who came up from ‘B’ Echelon during the night, and more and more men were collected from weapon pits of the forward area, therefore at Stand Down in the morning the Battalion was organised into two Companies, one under Captain L.S. STARKEY and the other under Captain R.N. BRINCKMAN.

1940 May 22
A quiet day.
Every effort was made to collect wounded still lying out, invariably followed by Mortar and Machine Gun fire.
2100 hours
Again a heavy Artillery, Mortar and Machine Gun barrage came down on the Brigade front on our right.
The situation at times appeared critical as reports received stated that the enemy were again across the canal at our point of junction with the 2nd Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS, but although enemy elements crossed the canal and penetrated possibly as far as the main road, the line held and the withdrawal that had been ordered for the night 22/23rd was carried out successfully, 1st GUARDS BRIGADE holding the line of the canal until 0300 hours the 23rd May.
The casualties during this attack were fairly slight.

1940 May 23
The Battalion was lifted behind the defence line prepared by 2 CORPS since their arrival in FRANCE.
The Battalion went into Billeting Areas, being in Brigade reserve, rested, cleaned up and dug in.
The Battalion by now had collected a number of men who had got mixed up with Units on either side during the fighting of the 21/22nd May and it was found that the losses in that fighting amounted to 186, and the Battalion was again organised into 4 companies each of 2 platoons.
Captain C.W. NORMAN-BARNETT joined the Battalion from leave.

Edited by kohlenklau

On 7/4/2023 at 5:22 PM, kohlenklau said:

But on another topic. I was wondering as I am dealing with 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards is it No. 3 Company or C Company or what? Anybody know? BUT the War Diary clearly says "No. 3 company this, No. 1 Company that..." Did the British later officially change to letters for companies? My brain remembers the Might Munch from the Falklands when that Royal Marines "M" company took South Georgia. 

Well, I emailed an expert and he said that the numbering of the company was a special GUARDS kind of thing.

Alrighty, GORILLA T5637 is done and sits proudly next to GWENDOLYNN T5653. I still have to go into Blender and remove the antenna off the 3D model of the Vickers Carrier. The squadies are wearing @Falaise BEF uniforms and helmets. Merci mon ami.

Next up is the unarmed carrier, Gosport T5644.

The map is taking shape and I am figuring out what buildings get plopped on it. A church and a few houses --- maybe a lingerie shop, French knickers for the bird back in blighty. nudge nudge wink wink, say no more.

263-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

I am doing house chores while my brain mulls over the POPLAR RIDGE scenario. I will use again the rubber assault boat mod from the Sedan scenario. The wife heads out of town for a trip of 6 days so I see good time availability in this next week. I have many irons in the fire. Getting this first BEF scenario done is definitely doable. I am held up on the Blender vehicle mod for the A13 Cruiser MkII. Just having technical issues making the cupola and revised mantlet. I am also struggling making the Vickers MKVIb. You wouldn't believe where I am getting the turret for that! It is hilarious but right now it looks like my best candidate for the mesh is scaling and rotating a Tiger I turret. The MKVIb turret was flat faced at the back vertical but horse-shoe (I call it) for the rest. The Tiger I turret seems to have this shape but 180 reversed so I just need to edit it.

lSBjOTL.png

Googling to find a nice look for GOSPORT T.5644.

The below photo has the bridging symbol up higher on the front hull vertical. I will do that. Which clears the front mudguard for an Aos symbol.

The next image shows the WD number much larger and with a vehicle number above that. I will copy all that style for GOSPORT.

The 3rd photo has an odd camo pattern which I will try to copy.

h5-JDSb83w-V74it-Ly-NH4x5-Pm7zfc-UOAMgk-

Vickers-Armstrongs-Universal-Carrier-or-

R-31.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau

So, the scenario...I am sure many other guys here can describe it better how they make a scenario come to life. I will rattle off how I do it for this one.

I read the war diary and my brain has a mental picture of how it all happened, true or false my brain now has this story and I then use CM scenario editor.

The war diary excerpt one last time.

At 0730 hours a violent Artillery, Mortar and Machine Gun barrage fell on the whole of the 1st GUARDS BRIGADE front.
A determined attack was launched at the point of junction of the Battalion and the 2nd Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS.
A crossing was forced and Machine Guns, Mortars and Snipers got across the river, infiltrating on the left, and forced our men back as far as the PONT A CHIN road.
The open country held by our forward Companies was completely under enemy observation, and every movement made by our troops was dogged by accurate Machine Gun and Mortar Fire.
No.s 1 and 2 Companies stood firm, and Captain P.T CLIFTON with the reserve Platoon of No. 1 Company and some men of No. 2 Company under Captain P.J.C. RADFORD-NOROP organised an immediate counter attack and regained the line of the river bank.
Meanwhile Major W.R.J. ALSTON-ROBERTS-WEST Commanding No. 4 Company gathered the remainder of his Company and made a great but unsuccessful effort to regain the lost trenches.
In these attacks Machine Guns and Mortars accounted for Major A.R. WEST and 2/Lieutenant A.N. BOYD (killed), Captain P.T. CLIFTON, Captain P.J.C. RADFORD-NORCOP and Lieutenant The MASTER of FORBES (wounded) and many men.
Seeing that the situation was serious the Commanding Officer went forward in a Carrier and made a recce on the spot as there was no post from which he could see what was happening.
As a result one Section of Carriers was sent to cover the Right, and No. 3 Company was ordered to counter attack and regain No. 4 Company’s position.
Supported by one Section of Carriers under Lieutenant H. REYNELL-PACK and the Mortar Platoon this attack went in with great dash at 1130 hours, but the men were mown down by hidden Machine Guns mentioned above, although it got within a few yards of the river bank and the old positions it was impossible to hold them.
Lieutenant H. REYNELL-PACK in his own Carrier went right across the open country having spotted where the Machine Gun fire was coming from, and silenced the guns on the left, but still the fire was too heavy, so Captain L.S. STARKEY with the remainder of No.s 3 and 4 Companies took up a line covering the main road.

EDIT: I had an idea to also examine the war diary of the unit to the left. 2nd Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS. I found it and here is an excerpt to just see the lead-in and the battle through another writer's eyes.

2nd Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS war diary

1940 May 19
After a peaceful night, the withdrawal began with No. 1 Company acting as rearguard, while a mobile rearguard to BRIGADE was supplied by all its Carrier Platoons commanded by Captain FANE.
No. 1 Company were in contact with the enemy at LOCH at about 382544 before final withdrawal.
The roads were slightly shelled as our march began; one shell killed a signaller.
CWGC :: Casualty Details
CWGC :: Cemetery Details
All units of the 1st GUARDS BRIGADE had to march on the right of the road while the 2nd INFANTRY BRIGADE used the left and various transport used the centre; all moving in the same direction.
Thus for mile after mile this road, like many others, presented to the enemy airforce an unbroken stream of marching men and transport.
Luckily for the B.E.F. the GERMAN Airforce was occupied elsewhere.
At 1400 hours in the neighbourhood of NEDERBRAKEL the BRIGADE embussed in 3-ton ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS lorries.
The Battalion debussed at QUAREMONT and continued to march in odd parties as the bus column had been hopelessly disorganised en route.
Ultimately the whole Battalion reached PECQ on the River ESCAUT by 1900 hours, after a march of 22 miles.
Immediately each Company sent a Platoon to a position on the banks of the ESCAUT.
No. 1 Company was on the right, No. 3 Company in the centre, No. 4 Company on the left with No. 2 Company in reserve, while the Battalion H.Q. was in an evacuated convent with large rooms and even larger glass windows.
The Line to be held by the Battalion was altered on several occasions.
It was finally fixed by Brigadier BECKWITH SMITH in the evening to run from the bend in the River ESCAUT at 906396 to the big tannery and the river in front of it at 898412.
This front was 1,800 yards.
The GRENADIERS were on our right, the 2nd HAMPSHIRES in BRIGADE Reserve and the 3rd DIVISION on our left.
For a few hours the 1st Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS and Captain FOX’s Company of it, was on our left but was later relieved.
This evening Brigadier JACK WHITAKER visited the Battalion at the RELIGIOUS INSITUTION, PECQ.
This day’s route was EYCHEN - VOORDE - NEDERBRAKEL - RENAIX - QUAREMONT - HERCHEM - KERKHOVE - AVELGHEM - BOSSUYT - WARCOING - PECQ.

1940 May 20
At 0130 hours the main bridge over the River ESCAUT was blown.
This explosion broke most of the glass in the town and Battalion H.Q. was moved to a Chateau a few hundred yards away at about 1000 hours.
At dawn the Battalion started to dig itself in.
The town of PECQ was practically deserted and we were able to get a certain amount of food.
Our position here, besides being overlooked by the opposite bank, was also dominated by MONT ST. AUBERT.
The day passed quietly though some enemy activity could be plainly noticed on the other bank.
Late this evening the Hon. E.F.V. BOSCAWEN received a wound form which he died during the night.

1940 May 21
At 0100 hours Battalion H.Q. moved again to a large Chateau just East of ESTAIMBOURG.
There was a river mist in the early morning.
At about 0200 hours No. 3 Company was heavily mortared but though a very unpleasant experience, few casualties were sustained.
Some movement observed near the bridge.
At 0600 hours Mortar and Artillery fire started on the whole of the Battalion Front, and shortly afterwards it was reported that the enemy had crossed the river by No. 1 Company’s position.
Major W.S. STEWART BROWN was, therefore, sent forward to restore the situation, taking with him the Carrier Platoon under Captain FANE, who was shortly afterwards killed by a shell when making a recce.
The situation on the COLDSTREAM Front was soon restored as it was found that only a few GERMANS had managed to get across despite the intensity of the GERMAN covering fire, but a gap had appeared between our right and the GRENADIER GUARDS’ Left and other GERMANS were losing no time in exploiting this.
No. 2 Company formed a defensive flank towards the GRENADIER GUARDS, while Major STARKEY’s Company of GRENADIER GUARDS was ordered to counter attack on our Right.
In this counter-attack all the Officers were killed, including Captain The Duke of Northumberland under whose command was Lance-Corporal NICHOLLS, to whom was awarded the first V.C. given to the Army in this War.
Until the successful conclusion of these counter attacks the line on our right was withdrawn from the Canal to the PECQ - PONT-A-CHIN Road.
Now it was restored to the Canal bank and one Platoon of No. 2 Company under the command of 2/Lieutenant BRITTON took up a position to fill the gap between the GRENADIER GUARDS and ourselves.
At about this time Battalion H.Q. received several salvoes of GERMAN medium Artillery which killed C.Q.M.S. BURNETT and several pioneers.
By about 1700 hours No. 1 Company reoccupied their posts on the Canal, some of which had been earlier evacuated.
P.S.M. COURT, who had remained at his post regardless of what was happening on his flanks, was found killed.
Our casualties in this encounter were not so heavy as first appeared, numbering about 30 killed and wounded, which included Lieutenant Sir John PIGOTT-BROWN who was evacuated with a scalp wound.
Lieutenant C.H. FIELDEN who was commanding No. 1 Company was also ordered back to rest at “B” Echelon with a very badly burned hand.
Lieutenant E.L. GIBBS was transferred from No. 4 Company to command.
This day Guardsman SWABEY of No. 4 Company shot 14 GERMANS with his own rifle from the windows of the tannery to the North of PECQ.

Edited by kohlenklau