CMFI BEF 1940 MOD NOW IN PROGRESS

• 3 weeks later...

Map is 99% done. AI plan #1 written for the Germans.

I am playing it in scenario author mode and really enjoying it. Making tweaks as I see what needs tweaked. Shaping up nice. Tomorrow morning I crank out a briefing and a TACMAP. In a few days I can release it. "Another banger" :D

Unless someone volunteers to playtest it first.

Edited by kohlenklau

poplar-cover.png

Poplar-Tac-Map.png

1115, 21 May 1940. Along the Escaut Canal near Esquelmes, Belgium. A slight haze, light wind from the east. 

You are the human player controlling the counter-attack of the 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards. 

The mission is to counter-attack and destroy the German bridgehead. Occupy the objective. Sweep it clean of Jerry to obtain 500 points and win the battle. 

Excerpts from the 3rd Bn. Grenadier Guards War Diary...
**1940 May 21
**At 0730 hours a violent Artillery, Mortar and Machine Gun barrage fell on the whole of the 1st GUARDS BRIGADE front.
**A determined enemy attack was launched at the point of junction of the Battalion and the 2nd Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS.
**A crossing was forced and Machine Guns, Mortars and Snipers got across the river, infiltrating on the left, and forced our men back as far as the PONT A CHIN road.
**The open country held by our forward Companies was completely under enemy observation, and every movement made by our troops was dogged by accurate Machine Gun and Mortar Fire.
**Seeing that the situation was serious the Battalion Commander went forward in a Carrier and made a recce on the spot as there was no post from which he could see what was happening.
**As a result, No. 3 Company was ordered to counter attack and regain No. 4 Company’s position. Supported by one Section of Carriers under Lieutenant H. REYNELL-PACK and this attack went in with great dash at 1130 hours

The platoons of No. 3 Company (reserve force) have been ordered to the start line west of the PECQ - PONT A CHIN ROAD. 7 Platoon has already arrived and can be repositioned in the dark blue set up zone. 8 and 9 Platoon will arrive in that same area at 5 and 10 minutes respectively, more or less centered on the map. You can shift the axis of the attack as you desire. Finally, the carriers are being fueled and will be in position at 1130 in the south-west corner of the map. 
NOTE: The Germans are attempting to reinforce the bridgehead. You must decide to either wait for the carriers or to press onward now with 7 Platoon. 
A few men from No. 4 Company are still trapped down by the canal bank, most likely in rough shape. 

Edited by kohlenklau

15 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I'm on it Phil (or will be shortly).  Liking the instructions...

No hurry Tim. Just PM me the comments and criticisms and I can try to improve it. It can always be improved I suppose. 

I might have 1 other scenario to pack with this part of the mod and then pass to Senor El Bootie.

note to self...

8. A13 Mk I, Mk II, & Mk II CS
[Cruiser Tanks Mk III, Mk IVA, &
Mk IVA CS]: The performance of the
Russian BT tank sparked consideration
of a much faster Cruiser, resulting in the
A13 which was based on the same U.S.
Christie tank that had inspired the BT—
though the A13 omitted the latter’s abil-
ity to be driven without tracks. Only 65
of the A13 Mk I were built, with all
subsequent models having extra armor
plates attached to the hull nose and the
turret front and sides. This uparmored
version was known as the A13 Mk II—
or alternatively as the Cruiser Tank Mk
IV or IVA, with the Mk IV having a water-cooled CMG and the
Mk IVA an air-cooled CMG. 133 Mk IV and 172 Mk IVA (includ-
ing a limited number of CS tanks) were built. While somewhat un-
reliable, the A13 series nonetheless was the design foundation
upon which all subsequent Cruisers were based. A13 types were
used in the same manner as the A9 and A10 in France, Greece, and
North Africa, forming the striking power of British armored divi-
sions until replaced by the A15 Crusader.
† A13 Mk II Dates and RF for ETO use are 5-6/40 (France; 1.2)
and 4/41 (Greece; 1.3); for North Africa they are 12/40-2/41 (1.2),
3-6/41 (1.0), 7-8/41 (1.1), 9-10/41 (1.2), and 11-12/41 (1.3). For
A13 Mk II CS use in the ETO they are 5-6/40 (France; 1.5) and
4/41 (Greece; 1.5); for North Africa they are 12/40-2/41 (1.5), 3-
5/41 (1.3), 6-8/41 (1.4), and 9-12/41 (1.5).
See also British Vehicle Notes B (A13 Mk II only), K, N (A13 Mk
II and A13 Mk II CS only), S (A13 Mk II CS only)

BEF1940 THE BRIDGE AT L'AVALETTE

AXIS-VS-AI-ONLY.png

Lavalette-TACMAP.png

1445, 25 May 1940. Approaching a bridge over the Canal d'Aire at L'Avalette; near Bethuny, France. A slight haze with a light wind from the east. 

You are the human player controlling the probe by elements of Rommel's 7th Panzer Division. 

The mission is to cross the bridge and clear the area on the far side. Occupy the objective. Sweep it clean of the British to obtain 500 points and win the battle. 

Herr General Rommel is angered at the delays experienced by the division in crossing the canal. Radio intercepts indicate we are confronted by the "Royal Irish Fusiliers". They are a British infantry division with limited support from their French allies. We can expect light anti-tank weapons and some variety of barbed wire or other obstacle. 

A small scout patrol has just approached the outskirts of the bridge. The rest of that rifle platoon follows close behind. At 5 minutes another rifle platoon with a demolition team is due to arrive - and finally a few panzers at 10 minutes. 

Edited by kohlenklau