How to get your CMRT game on Steam

Important: The key that is used to get you Steam key is your CMRT key. 

Hi guys,

We’re very pleased to be working with Battlefront and know many of you are eagerly anticipating the release of Combat Mission. We wanted to give you some details on how things will work and both teams will do their best to make this process as painless as possible for you all to get your games working on Steam. 

·        Steam keys will be available to anybody who purchased the game, no matter where they purchased. All users will get steam keys by creating an account with Matrix/Slitherine to redeem a steam key. The reason for this is Matrix already have a process to distribute the keys and Battlefront didn’t and it would have been a lot of work for them to create such as system so it felt simpler to use a system that already works. Sorry for the inconvenience of anyone who needs to create an account because of this. 
·        Once you have an account you can redeem Steam keys in the normal way by following these instructions - https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585
·        Note that if you bought a bundle from Battlefront you will only have one serial for all the games in the bundle. To redeem all the pieces of your bundle as Steam keys you will need to register that serial for each part of the bundle. E.g. if you purchased the base game and Commonwealth bundle you would register that serial twice, once to the base game and once to the DLC. Each will generate a unique Steam key for that piece of content on Steam and must be redeemed on Steam separately. 
·        When purchasing a bundle on Matrix/Slitherine you will receive a serial for each part separately. 
·        The versions on Matrix, Battlefront and Steam are identical apart from some minor changes to make the game compatible with Steam. Steam requires all the game content to be in the install folder so the placement of some files will be different to the Battlefront version but this is all behind the scenes and the features are identical. Multiplayer is possible between versions. 
·        Customers who buy from Matrix/Slitherine will have access to the Matrix installer and a Steam key. Customers who buy from Battlefront will have access to the Battlefront version and Steam key. Matrix/Slitherine customers will not have access to the Battlefront version and vice versa. 
·        Any Steam key redemption issues should be reported to the Matrix forum, as Battlefront are not able to help with that. 
·        Other tech support should be requested at your point of purchase but both companies will try and help out anyone who has an issue if they can. Obviously any order issues can only be investigated by the site you purchased from as neither company has access to that kind of info for the other. 
·        If you have any questions or problems please let us know and we will do our best to help. 

Easy as. Copy and paste codes from BF into Slitherine, rinse and repeat for each module/bp. Then copy and paste codes generated from Slitherine into Steam, rinse and repeat for all RT stuff. Once activated in Steam download/install and you have a Steam install. Then finally cut/copy and paste your Z mods folder from your non-steam install into your new Steam RT directory and party on ladies and gents. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

It seems I can't write a review for cmrt on steam (bf download version activated on steam). It worked on cmbn though.

I would like to leave a positive review on steam, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, jimgiven said:

HI.  I bought the game on steam and downloaded it but I don't see any "Incoming email" or "Outgoing email" folders to play PBEM.   Anyone know where they could be?  Is there a different process?  Thanks

For Steam they will be found in : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Combat Mission Red Thunder\Game Files

Unlike where the Battlefront version puts them in Ian's example above.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Oh good to know - thanks for the save @BFCElvis

I do a lot of monkeying around with Steam while getting things set up. It hasn't been until a few months ago that it is easier to get to than I had been doing with Windows Explorer. 

In Steam, selecting the game, Manage and Browse local files will open the Explorer window to the main directory. Making getting to Game Files even faster. 

BF.png

(Yes, being a developer gives me access to every Slitherine/Matrix game for free. 🙂 I didn't buy those other games)

4 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I assume they're not up to the standard of BFC games 😁.  In fact, I think I actually know they're not in some cases.

*guilty ducking of me head* I haven't tried any of them. Way way way way back in the day I played Close Combat. But then CMBO came out and I never looked back.

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2024 at 12:13 AM, AdamPraha said:

Hi

Pardon.

I have Cold War on Steam. But not Red Thunder and its dlc.

I've had Red Thunder installed for so long that I don't remember the password or the key.

So how do I get the original password so I can install it on Steam ?

Better open up a ticket at the Battlefront helpdesk

https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/

The chances of the right person to see this here in the forum would be rather lucky than anything else.

4 hours ago, AdamPraha said:

I also wonder if the dlc from steam will work together with the game ?
Because the game doesn't come from Steam...

You cannot mix the gameversions with each other (BFC and Steam)...at least not directly. You need to get your free Steamkey for the main game first, before it can merge with the module there

How to you get the Steamkey for the main game you can read in the first posting of this thread from BFC Elvis.

1.)

Is this the original password received after payment ? 
Do I stick it in Steam as if I were buying the game now ?
This registers the game inside Steam ?

So I have to found this several years old password somewhere ?

Where can I find this " key from all the games bought here ? Or where is it hidden ?

Edited by AdamPraha

2.)

If I have to register it on Steam now. Where are the instructions on how to activate all mods again please ?
I mean, I know that steam have "mods" somewhere else ?
Is there a guide somewhere on how to activate mods on steam ?
Because I have them all in a folder "Z inside "data.

1.   As Brille said, see the first post from BFCElvis in this thread.  If you need to ask more questions feel free 😉, I've done this for all titles (acquired from BFC but added on Steam via a Matrix/Slitherine key) and it works.  Having said that I still play just the BFC versions but that's neither here nor there.

2.  You need to create a Z folder folder in your Steam 'CM title'\Data folder, and put your mods in it.  One of mine is here as an example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Combat Mission - Battle for Normandy\Data\Z

So it works the same way, it just needs to be in the Steam folder structure not the BFC folder structure.

18 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

1.   As Brille said, see the first post from BFCElvis in this thread.  If you need to ask more questions feel free 😉, I've done this for all titles (acquired from BFC but added on Steam via a Matrix/Slitherine key) and it works.  Having said that I still play just the BFC versions but that's neither here nor there.

2.  You need to create a Z folder folder in your Steam 'CM title'\Data folder, and put your mods in it.  One of mine is here as an example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Combat Mission - Battle for Normandy\Data\Z

So it works the same way, it just needs to be in the Steam folder structure not the BFC folder structure.

Order Content
Product ID Product Name Price Quantity Total
Shipment # 1 - $0.00
CMRT-P1V4
Activation Code(s):
xxxxxxx6464asdzpeFUxxxxxxx

CMRT Battle Pack 1
Options:
Platform : Platform
Download URL:
There is no download for this product. Use the Activate New Products utility and enter the license key to activate the Pack. Your game must be installed through v2.12.

And password for REGISTRATION "inside Steam is ACTIVATION CODE ?(Left side ?)xxxxxxx6464asdzpeFUxxxxxxx

$5.00
(Not Taxable)
1 $5.00
Edited by AdamPraha