Creating Maps with CMAutoEditor

Butschi

I'm at a complete loss.

I wanted to get the elevation data for this area following the instructions in the video.

0gkXVwd.png

But I couldn't download anything.

V8Gqyw4.png

So I went to this website and downloaded the DGM1 data for the Hunfeld area as that is the major town in the area.

BDSxPGF.png

On extracting the data there wasn't a folder where I could get the the ETRS data.

6P4twXd.png

Regarding the aerial images, I couldn't get that to work. I followed the instructions....

vtXpgiW.png

.... but still no aerial image.

zKQvzjf.png

Edited by nathangun

On 3/18/2023 at 11:52 PM, Butschi said:

CMAutoEditor is a tool that takes "external" data, like elevation, and automates clicking in the CM scenario editor.

Hiya Butschi. I watched your video on Youtybe and thought that maybe your program could use the same website for getting map data as is used for the game Cities Skylines.

When you choose an area on the map on the website https://terrain.party/ you get a zip-file containing three or four files with data. Those files could maybe be used for the same purpose in your program as it is in the mapeditor of the game Cities Skylines.

But maybe the amount of work with those different files would be similar to what is required now.

14 hours ago, nathangun said:

I'm at a complete loss.

I wanted to get the elevation data for this area following the instructions in the video.

0gkXVwd.png

But I couldn't download anything.

V8Gqyw4.png

So I went to this website and downloaded the DGM1 data for the Hunfeld area as that is the major town in the area.

BDSxPGF.png

On extracting the data there wasn't a folder where I could get the the ETRS data.

6P4twXd.png

Regarding the aerial images, I couldn't get that to work. I followed the instructions....

vtXpgiW.png

.... but still no aerial image.

zKQvzjf.png

Apparently you are another victim of German Federalism. As I mentioned above and in the tutorial video (but seems like I wasn't clear enough on the point, sorry for that), the resources for elevation data and aerial imagery shown in the video only work of Northrhine Westphalia. The Fulda Region is (mainly) in Hessen, so you need different sources. You already found the one for elevations. I am not sure about whether they have aerial imagery for the relevant time frame, though. From the top of my head, I think they have something for the 1960s. Currently I'm off for the Easter Holidays with only my mobile, so I'd have to look it up later.

From your screenshot it seems to me you have the elevation data you were looking for (the xyz files). Or what did you mean by ETRS data?

I think the plugin for JOSM is called ImportImagePlugin. But I can look it up once I have access to my PC.

8 hours ago, nathangun said:

Somehow I screwed up.

I entered what looked like the correct data.

6oIJcQt.png

Then the program crashed after displaying this.

BrJEtmn.png

Don't worry, we'll get there, eventually. 😉

I can take a closer look later but I think a) Grüsselbach is in Rasdorf, not Hünfeld and b) it might be that your bounding box is a few meters in the next Federal State, Thuringia. And... you guessed it, you'd need that data from elsewhere. 🤷‍♂️ Sorry, my tool currently expects you to give it a bounding box within valid data and it is not very communicative as to why it crashes. That's on the growing list of "things I should add/fix/improve".

Edit: The tool should have produced an image, probably Grusselbach_orig.png You should see the data you downloaded and the bounding box there.

Edited by Butschi

33 minutes ago, nathangun said:

Thanks for sharing!

And excellent timing, too, I'm done with part 3 of the tutorial except for the thumbnail (the things you have to learn when initially all you wanted to do was make some nice maps :D)... So you can directly continue and populate your map. 😉

33 minutes ago, nathangun said:

@Butschi I'm running the auto editor for the elevation in CMCW, it drawing the elevation but then expands the width on the left (west) side of the map and reduces it on the right (east side) and drew the map as a 208 x 208 map and keeps repeating that process. Is that normal?

Yes, working as intended. I use the smallest possible "window size". The smaller the map, the less the editor has to recalculate after each click and the faster the clicking can be done. Don't worry, the editor doesn't delete what is outside of this window and, once finished, the actual map size is set.

8 hours ago, Artkin said:

I get an error when trying to run the tiff2csv converter. What am I doing wrong?

problem.png

I guess you didn't activate your conda environment? It says (base) there. Or you didn't properly install it?

I'd advise to try the .exe-files first. geotiff2cm doesn't have a fancy GUI yet(!) but you can provide the input without going to the cmd shell as described here:

Edited by Butschi

@Butschi Still busy with stuff so I haven't given this a full test run yet. But I did stumble across this https://portal.opentopography.org/raster?opentopoID=OTALOS.112016.4326.2 its a site that provides geotiff height data for pretty much the entire world and for free. No account needed or anything either. The only downside I see is the resolution of the data is 30m, I guess in combat mission terms that's about a three by three square. Do you think this would be useful to add as a data source to your wiki? The data is actually based on 5m resolution data but that doesn't seem to be available to the public. 

Out of curiosity as well, do you know what resolution the German sites are?

36 minutes ago, Dawntaker said:

@Butschi Still busy with stuff so I haven't given this a full test run yet. But I did stumble across this https://portal.opentopography.org/raster?opentopoID=OTALOS.112016.4326.2 its a site that provides geotiff height data for pretty much the entire world and for free. No account needed or anything either. The only downside I see is the resolution of the data is 30m, I guess in combat mission terms that's about a three by three square. Do you think this would be useful to add as a data source to your wiki? The data is actually based on 5m resolution data but that doesn't seem to be available to the public. 

Out of curiosity as well, do you know what resolution the German sites are?

The German sites I have listed are all 1m resolution. I didn't check all federal states, though. The other sites I've listed are all 1m or 5m, expect for Belgium with 20m. ALOS3D is as good as it gets for (free) satellite data but the issue here, as I've explained in the previous thread, is that they are just surface models which include tree tops and houses, as far as I can tell.