Tips for playing.

6 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

I´ll try making tank crews "unfit" and then see if it changes their (TacAI) behavior considerably once forced to bail out. (in panic, broken or routed)

I don't think it will, for infantry their marksmanship remains the same when exhausted. To model unfit crews in my opinion they would lose their cognitive abilities after a time. Possibly the status would be green or conscript for the scenario.

8 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I don't think it will, for infantry their marksmanship remains the same when exhausted. To model unfit crews in my opinion they would lose their cognitive abilities after a time. Possibly the status would be green or conscript for the scenario.

very likely, yes. What I´d in mind is that when bailed crews are unfit that they don´t fast move (panicked or broken state) into the landscape. If they can´t "run", then alternatively the TacAI got to force them to slow/crawl instead. That´s the idea. I think dependent upon circumstances this should keep more crews alive. Still haven´t tested yet.

EDIT: Now tested. No, doesn´t work (of course). Erroneous thinking of mine. Crews start in "ready" state so are always free to fast move initially. But maybe have better survival chances once they run away a bit. A bailed test crew (their tank just got shot off under their a**es, with 2 survivors) immediately fast moved (panicked) 30-40 meter or so, then stopped in "tired" (or tiring) state. Got to test that some more. Still find this can be usefull for certain mission design situations.

Edited by RockinHarry

14 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Here we move to tips for the soft factors. I would suggest screenshots of scenarios played. Yesterday I couldn't cancel the move of a 'Rattled' unit when it was time to plot moves.

how do you cancel the move? I grab-move the movement plot to a different AS, then change move type to crawl. Not reliable as well. Indefinite pause does the trick most the time.

Panther.png

PantherB.png

PantherC.png

Soft Factor -2 for influence but still spotted a Panther over 2km away. Let infantry do the spotting soft factors appear not to influence ability. The HQ T34/85 was unbuttoned but still received the tentative contact(Distance Three Action Squares). Armor the only formation with radios so they lead an attack. 

Edited by chuckdyke

55 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Soviet artillery doctrine which we could use in the game. Use indirect only if direct fire is not possible. Great point to consider for the on-map mortars.

I like very much this thread "chucky",very  kind of you to take the time to explain and to share.

Cheers

Edited by JM Stuff

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Am also curious.  AFAIK one cannot cancel a panic move - just change it.

Take the good and the bad, the soft factors obviously played a role.

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

chuckdyke said the unit was rattled, not panicked. Yeah, just movement plot change (not always) as emergency measure.

Rattled is the first stage of recovery from a shaken morale stage. My hypothesis is this, if the AI generated the move during a panic or shaken state, we can't probably change it.

On 2/16/2023 at 4:00 AM, chuckdyke said:

The important thing is there are choices, and you can make use of them. Don't be a lazy player and let opportunities slip.

In the example your talking about I will pile on some extra fire if it can safely be done and the unit is worth going the extra mile to eliminate. Sometimes just have the second angle of fire coming in is enough to take it out. Even if it's just a target briefly for 30 seconds or so.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, PEB14 said:

I cannot distinguish any visible difference between the pro and commercial version at first glance. Does anybody know what are the main differences?

There is a short vid on YouTube that has what I think is the modernized Strikers in it. Auto-cannon and a javelin mounted outside the vehicle instead of the TOW. They fire it without the operator having to be opened up to. I just watched it a couple days ago but could not find it just then. I think it is from one of the fight club channels though

Spotting to do this exercise you need to select 'Iron'.

2men team approach a building on hunt. Inside they are soon in contact. The third squad plays for Red and are hiding.

exercise.png

Blue Scouts are outside approaching the buildings.

exerciseb.pngOnly when a Red Team opens fire are Blue Scouts in full contact.

exercised.png

Blue Assault Team approaches the building out of C2 they don't have tentative contacts.

exercisee.png

Only when they are adjacent to the building are they in contact with the Red Teams.

exercisef.png

Edited by chuckdyke

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Rattled is the first stage of recovery from a shaken morale stage. My hypothesis is this, if the AI generated the move during a panic or shaken state, we can't probably change it.

Yeah, I´d guess something like that. There's not much we can do if pixel troopers panic, other than help them with other friendly troops, giving cover fire, throwing smoke, and so on. I think the more interesting question is how to prevent troops from panicking in the first place (outside of more random, uncontrollable circumstances). Influence of soft factors, C2, terrain and placement/movements, fire tactics, etc.

Edited by RockinHarry

7 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

I think the more interesting question is how to prevent troops from panicking

You will get attrition, and if they take out a team, we take out a squad, if they take out a squad, we take out a platoon. Inspired by the Godfather for that one. It is called escalation, the only thing you can do. If you do that most units are not panicking 😎🤞

Edited by chuckdyke

4 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

You will get attrition, and if they take out a team, we take out a squad, if they take out a squad, we take out a platoon. Inspired by the Godfather for that one. It is called escalation, the only thing you can do. If you do that most units are not panicking 😎🤞

yeah, meant something more specific. Likely deserves a seperate thread, but anyway... I know how to deal with all that (in context of general tactics application). More or less lol 😅

9 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

great tactic, but the inspiration is 'the untouchables',  s. connery to be exact.

cheers,

rob

Using on map assets without going through the off-map fire direction centre. Playing Soviets, the player just loses too much time. 

First place a waypoint at the area you plan your fire mission.

plotting.png

From there you plot an LOF to find a position for your mortar.

plottingb.png

At the bottom of your screen, you click your waypoint on your LOF and there you will deploy your mortar.

plottingc.png

Drag your first waypoint away from your objective and it will end up near your deploy waypoint.

plottingd.png

Check or you are able to carry out your fire mission. For realism have the C2 generates the tentative contacts. 

Edited by chuckdyke

Mines approach "slow" one square at a time. This makes sure everybody in the team stops at a waypoint.

mines.png

Now the Mark Mines Option becomes active. Forest was removed for illustration purposes. You can't go wrong as you can plot only a move on the mine square.

minesb.png

It can take a few minutes but rest assured a secure passage will be created.

minesc.png

Slow is I found the best approach if you suspect mines. Not a big deal if the team gets tired. It means the team can't run which is a silly thing to do in a minefield. Next is fatigued it means no hunting through a minefield. Don't be put off by fitness when you go through a minefield. The unit was tiring nothing was affected yet.

Edited by chuckdyke