What ever happened to the North Africa game from years and years ago?

I bought NA years and years ago and would like to play it again.  I miss playing the early war years with inferior equipment and tanks, yeah weird I know

but anyway, can one still buy it?  

Edited by lcm1947
Corrected Spacing issue in my paragraph.

45 minutes ago, lcm1947 said:

... I miss playing the early war years with inferior equipment and tanks, yeah weird I know

but anyway, can one still buy it?  

Totally agree as my signature suggests and not weird at all. Really sad the new engine hasn't gone back in time.

From GoG.com.

CMAK:
https://www.gog.com/en/game/combat_mission_afrika_korps

CMBB:
https://www.gog.com/en/game/combat_mission_barbarossa_to_berlin

EDIT:
Found this thread as well that might be of use if you get them again:

Also, for my setup, from the main screen in game, I have to ctrl + alt + tab and then come back into the game, otherwise the game gets bogged down with very very slow FPS for whatever reason.

Scenario Packs in thread below and right above that post is mention of, with the GoG purchase, fog now works on newer computers.

Edited by Blazing 88's

Thanks for the reply, Blazing.  I got a kick out of looking at those references you provided.  I guess I had forgotten what the graphics looked like back then.  Funny to see 

now a days after the giant improvements to games we'd experienced.  I actually laughed out loud.  After seeing that yeah I'll just wait for them to upgrade before wanting to play anything that looks like that.  🙂

23 hours ago, lcm1947 said:

Thanks for the reply, Blazing.  I got a kick out of looking at those references you provided.  I guess I had forgotten what the graphics looked like back then.  Funny to see 

now a days after the giant improvements to games we'd experienced.  I actually laughed out loud.  After seeing that yeah I'll just wait for them to upgrade before wanting to play anything that looks like that.  🙂

Yep, just for the fun of it, I installed and fired up CMAK some months ago.

But, indeed, not only the looks, also the game play is miles away from the current CM family.

However, are you aware that @kohlenklau created some brilliant NA scenarios and mods? Based on Fortress Italy, if I am not mistaken.

8 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yep, just for the fun of it, I installed and fired up CMAK some months ago.

But, indeed, not only the looks, also the game play is miles away from the current CM family.

However, are you aware that @kohlenklau created some brilliant NA scenarios and mods? Based on Fortress Italy, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks I'll have to take a look cause I could never suffer through the graphics of NA today.  Hope maybe BF will upgrade it sometime - soon.  

4 hours ago, womble said:

I take this as strong evidence that good gameplay trumps graphics for game popularity and longevity...

I fully agree - to a point.  I recently purchased a recent extremely popular game on Steam and had to request they take it back, which they did, because of while the gameplay was much improved over its other titles the graphics were such that I just hated it and refuse to play it.  It was so cartoonish it's like it was designed for little children.  Too cutie to suite me.  Was very impressed Steam would do that for a customer.  Impressive.  

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.  Those games were masterpieces in that one could play the entire war with one game/  And a well-modded CM1 game when viewed from level 3 or above had competitive-looking graphics to CM2.  Of course when at level 1 or 2 there is no comparison re which looks better.  And yes, if CM1 had the CM2 interface and options...