TOW missile speed

Chibot Mk IX

US 79 campaign mission 3, a M150 detected a BRDM at 3200m. It took gunner 6 seconds to aim the target. a TOW missile fired at 58:51, hit the target at 58:31. 

20 seconds flight time. Average speed is 160m/s.

Does that sound correct? I have seen a lot of reference put TOW's max speed at 320m/s, average speed at 250m/s  

6sE8Vj9.jpg

pbqq2Jg.jpg

hUwFUmM.jpg

3wvUsC2.jpg

11 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Here's a quick-and-dirty graph tracking TOW velocity / range / time. Numbers gleaned off the internet. 🙂

Tow missile graph.jpg

Using that chart 200m/s seems like a better average than 160m/s for the 3km target.

Also, according to the chart the missile should be at ~3600-3700m at 20s, instead of the 3200m that Chibot has recorded.

Edited by Artkin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 7:11 AM, Artkin said:

Maybe next year this echo chamber will get another semi-official to official reply. 

The numbers don't match. So what's the deal? 

If the Dev team can fix it ASAP that would be great

Right now I am more interested in collect each ATGM's in game speed data and develop a tactic based on this information.   

After fire the missile, most of ATGM vehicles will sit in the open reloading the missile. Occasionally a close missed AP round or a spotted enemy will make TacAI realize the danger and move the vehicle to a safer place. But 80% of time they just sit in the open, usually that didn't end well. 

So I am thinking , at least for long range engagements, I will use a shoot and scoot approach. Hide the ATGM vehicles behind the cover. Move the ATGM vehicles forward in the 2nd half of 30s. Usually the M150 and M901 with its thermal sight can acquire the target in less than 15s , they will fire a missile at the end of the turn. Then I will calculate how much more seconds until the impact. Give a pause to the calculated impact time, then reverse back to the safety. 

What has been called for for years is an improved shoot and scoot command (improved over what we had in CM1).  ie:  Wait in ambush until a target appears, shoot and then scoot to a safer location (player determined).  Would be useful for ATGM vehicles as well as snipers and any ambushing unit.

3 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

Then I will calculate how much more seconds until the impact. Give a pause to the calculated impact time,

My understanding is that you do not need to give a pause while guiding, the vehicle will stay in position until the missile either hits or misses its target.

Edited by Grey_Fox

15 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

My understanding is that you do not need to give a pause while guiding, the vehicle will stay in position until the missile either hits or misses its target.

Thanks for the tips. Yes you are right. When the missile is on the way to the target, just give a reverse order, No need to give a pause as the vehicle will stay there.

Everyday learn something new!

but that brings another problem.....

What should I do, if I really really want to abort the attack and bring the vehicle to the safety ASAP 😐  

Edited by Chibot Mk IX

31 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

Thanks for the tips. Yes you are right. When the missile is on the way to the target, just give a reverse order, No need to give a pause as the vehicle will stay there.

Everyday learn something new!

but that brings another problem.....

What should I do, if I really really want to abort the attack and bring the vehicle to the safety ASAP 😐  

Pray to the CM gods, or order reverse if this moment happens during the command phase (or if playing RT). 😉

Often the vehicles will reverse automatically to reload, I think tied to whether there are other enemies in view or not.

Edited by Lethaface