Tiny bug Patton's 1979 wheel animation

laurent 22

While you're at it, don't forget the T-80B.

Lmfao, this **** is so broken.

I really want to like this title, but it's absolute rushed crap. And the worst part is BFC hasn't fixed any of these issues. It apparently takes a couple minutes. Lol. What a high quality game.

crap.png

Note the difference between the T-80B and the Bmp-1:

CM-Cold-War-2022-11-21-18-25-28.png

Edited by Artkin

• 2 weeks later...

IF it is showing oddities when viewed from out at a distance but looks ok up close, that is probably one of the "lod" files.

I don't own the game so if you want me to take a gander at it, please link me the folder for the suspect vehicle. There may also be some shared files to send. Shared among all Soviet vehicles....Soviet Gear and maybe some turret MG?

If there is a low detail model that has an issue, you can overwrite it with a higher detail model. I do this frequently.

example: T-80A

Extract t80.mdr from the archives.

Make two copies of the highest detail model and rename it with t80-lod-2.mdr, t80-lod-4.mdr and drop these into your z folder (other models may need 4 LODs replacing). This will stop the low LOD models being used so you get higher detail, but the downside is the engine and OpenGL stuff now has to cope with the load of more high detail models. In most CM games I do it for specific vehicles that have some weird LOD issue but I have also done this "en mass" (so I use high detail for all LODs except LOD-4) for CMFB and the slowdown isn't too bad though. Also the option function to switch model detail has less effect as you are generally overriding it with vehicles and they are some of the biggest, most detailed model files (though still generally less than or  approx 1 MB).

A few other things to note... Some LODs get lighting glitches, this seems to be temporary and it might be a different vehicle affected next time you load in, but they appear either lighter or darker than everything else. No idea why, quirk of the engine. It can happen even if you replace low LODs with the HD model.

In very big maps with lots of units the detail option seems to be dynamically altered and downgraded to improve performance. You can see this in trees and vehicles etc - on busy maps the lower LODs are seen at closer zooms than they would on less busy maps. This can be very apparent with vehicles so gear on the vehicle might disappear as you zoom in and out (some LODs don't have the same gear as the HD model because the options on the HD model are chosen randomly from a set of gear options - the low LODs dont know what options were chosen or they don't have them at all. So this info isn't transferred between LODs by the looks of things).

You can also turn your 3D model quality to "best" in the options menu, but it will affect everything and slow performance and it won't prevent problem LODs being used, they are just used less.

Also good spot on the M60 wheels, nice fix koh

Edited by Jace11

Dear Kohlenklau, no doubt the problem of the Patton sprocket wheel would have been corrected by BFc in a far future. Same for badly positioned tank commanders in FI. I was only reporting these problems to BF.c so that they could be corrected by their teams.

On the other hand, I don't think that BFC would have corrected the English and French helmets, which are perhaps voluntary artistic choices and not errors. That's why for the helmets, I asked you directly if you could do something. Thank you so much for that (the British have become my favorite troops ever since). I have a little obsession with helmets as evidenced by this old thread from the early days of CMBN (my nickname was Fugazy at the time) about the German helmet, and I was finally heard by BFc: 

For the request to have a chance of being heard by BF.c, or by you, we must make an effort to ensure that it is well understood and to be precise.. This is not the case here, we don't understand what the problem or problems exposed by Artkin are, and he remains laconic when asked for clarification. I don't have any problems with the T80, whether seen from close or far, and the size relation between Russian tanks and BMPs seems correct to me (as Jace says, perhaps his sense that there is a problem comes from her personal game setup or the power of his computer...)

To come back to the problem of helmets and caps, I would like to know how you manage to put them back in their place correctly in Blender.  To understand, I opened the French helmet's mdr in Blender with the addon you linked: the object is alone, and the soldiers' "skeleton" files are in mds format, which I don't know how to open. I would like to see if it is possible to improve by myself the position of the caps of German and Russian officers. Right now I'm reading the tuto PDF (Mike Bailey Oregon university) your are linked. But if I start this conversation, it would be necessary to migrate to the mod forum.

I noticed another small issue with the positioning of the Valentine's commander in RT when the turret is open (I searched if it was already reported on RT forum with the term Valentine, without result): the feet protrude from the floor, and the right arm tends to come out the sides of the turret when it rotates. It's a curious problem because when the commander puts his head out, his feet protrude slightly but not his right arm. It is when the turret rotates that the right arm extends a little, and the arm then stays a little outside when the turret returns to its normal position. For the feet, it would be necessary to raise the commander a little bit, it is already a little low. The problem of the arm seems delicate to me because the turret is narrow. Nevertheless BFC had already solved similar problems in the past with other vehicles.

View Valentine problem:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/4zdgb2ai2888v43/Valentine.jpg/file

Once again you are absolutely right, BF.c will take care of it.

There is an open ticket (from a year ago) still open, for the M48 and M60 rear sprocket wheels not moving. As far as why it's not yet fixed - I'm just a beta tester and don't have visibility into what gets fixed when. 

As for the T-80s, ignoring the expletive, I took that screen shot with my graphics settings on "Improved" and my T-80s in Valley of Ashes look fine from that view. I tried to duplicate your view, and tried it with shaders and shadows, every combination of on/off of those. With shadows on it was hard to tell because they are in shadow from the near trees, but other than that, they look better than yours, anyway, @Artkin.  Are you using lower graphics settings? I can run it on "Best" with shaders and it looks like this. (of course the screen shot doesn't look quite as good as in game).

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 1.50.55 PM.jpg

Edited by Ultradave

Of course, the jpg compression of the photo alters the reality seen on the screen. The photos on this forum are always low resolution. 

My screenshots of T80 with not too strong compression. You can zoom to see the details remain fine (Win 11, I9, 48 Go ram, nvidia 3060 rtx):

Close:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/ew89cix909y4l83/T80_close.jpg/file

Far:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/5uqqximhlaj1ybl/T80_far_away.jpg/file