Pacific War Project

37mm

Well I spent a few hours today going through the old mods & transferring or tweaking the Japanese. This is where we are now...

h546B02.png

... which is a considerable improvement over the concept videos.

I've a few more things to tidy up & sort out but we're basically already at an early alpha stage (which i'll release soon).

2 hours ago, 37mm said:

Well I spent a few hours today going through the old mods & transferring or tweaking the Japanese. This is where we are now...

I've a few more things to tidy up & sort out but we're basically already at an early alpha stage (which i'll release soon).

Nice! Just a quickie. I notice the guy in the foreground has outlines of pockets on his tunic, this looks like it may be caused by a normal map - if the original uniform normal maps are in use then it might be best, for now, to use a blank file for normal maps until you get new normal maps done.

20 hours ago, 37mm said:

Yeah we figured out fairly early on that you could flood the CMSF trench terrain with water (indeed we initially thought we might have discovered a bug) however it wasn't until I started playing around with some of @dragonwynn's Heart of Darkness maps that I realized just how much terrain could be flooded.

Here you can see the new style rice paddies (which will feature in the next version of H&E)... they are shallow ford tiles set to, say height 6, whilst the field tiles around them are set to height 5.

The flooding only reaches one action square so you have to create a gridwork of shallow ford squares & surrounding fields.

Yep, shallow water overflows into neighboring AS if offsetting the -1 dig with +1 ditch locking lowest level water terrain.  Nice things we can do with a terrain´s ground shaping properties combined with ditch locks, either blue/black plus or minus. 😎

Ah... reminds me I still want playing some of @dragonwynn´s gorgeous stuff, if I´d find the time. His CMFB mod set is stunning. 🤩 Already using parts of autumn set.

Re rice fields I´d likely try a custom made flavor object made of billboard type then looking like

8367386-gr%C3%BCnen-bereich-asien-reisfe

similar to how CM crop fields are made. @Lucky_Strike🤔

That´ll improve the proper south east asian terrain looks even more IMO. Looking good in your video already. 😎 Comparing with ARMA3 Prairie Fire it comes pretty close.

37 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Nice! Just a quickie. I notice the guy in the foreground has outlines of pockets on his tunic, this looks like it may be caused by a normal map - if the original uniform normal maps are in use then it might be best, for now, to use a blank file for normal maps until you get new normal maps done.

No it's the original bitmap too... plus it seems to be accurate.

6 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Re rice fields I´d likely try a custom made flavor object made of billboard type then looking like

similar to how CM crop fields are made. @Lucky_Strike🤔

The single face billboards, like the doodads, work because they rotate to face the viewer, they don't have any volume as such, better would be a full 8m square made up of a series of rows each comprising a sandwich of three billboards which would give more of a sense of volume and can be oriented to align with your paddy. 

9 hours ago, 37mm said:

h546B02.png

So they look a little differents as the first pic but now they are good resized but to apply dds textures oh Got o Got.

I propose yours textures and my chinstrap and perhpas the helmet...😆

Helmet will be with or without chinstraps with or without protection for the sun !

They are not finish !

Opinion reclamation...

JM

lSGBVyx.jpg

Jez423d.jpg

mdE1n3I.jpg

8 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Ah, okay it's actual shadows drawn on the uniform texture.

The old mods are based on the British overalls & they kind of fit on the Italian uniforms (plus we get to keep the Italian putees). For the officers I went with the original mod style (German luftwaffe models with the British overall textures).

It'll do for an early alpha but obviously will need some work.

8 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Opinion reclamation...

JM

Perhaps the polygon count is too low as, currently, the helmet isn't very smooth?

This morning I did manage to convert the Makin map into CMFI*, so I just need to spend some time swapping the Brits for Italians & we're good to go...

JLRmIE0.png

ulQK4Oe.png

*Very weird one... a simple hex edit didn't work initially so I, naturally, assumed I had to swap out the tall bocage.

I couldn't see the bocage in the editor because of all the trees so I decided to alpha out the editor tree tiles. Feeling pleased with myself, I then quickly swapped all the "tall bocage" tiles for low bocage.

Afterwards, the hex-edit worked & I loaded the map up into CMFI... to my great surprise the tall bocage was still there & it turned out that I had swapped all the hedges for low bocage!

Why this allowed the hex edit to work I'm not too sure.

Either way, I created a tag [half] to thin out the tall boccage as per the original mod & map design as well as another tag [island] for the ocean horizon.

Edited by 37mm

36 minutes ago, 37mm said:

The old mods are based on the British overalls & they kind of fit on the Italian uniforms (plus we get to keep the Italian putees). For the officers I went with the original mod style (German luftwaffe models with the British overall textures).

It'll do for an early alpha but obviously will need some work.

Perhaps the polygon count is too low as, currently, the helmet isn't very smooth?

This morning I did manage to convert the Makin map into CMFI*, so I just need to spend some time swapping the Brits for Italians & we're good to go...

JLRmIE0.png

ulQK4Oe.png

*Very weird one... a simple hex edit didn't work initially so I, naturally, assumed I had to swap out the tall bocage.

I couldn't see the bocage in the editor because of all the trees so I decided to alpha out the editor tree tiles. Feeling pleased with myself, I then quickly swapped all the "tall bocage" tiles for low bocage.

Afterwards, the hex-edit worked & I loaded the map up into CMFI... to my great surprise the tall bocage was still there & it turned out that I had swapped all the hedges for low bocage!

Either way, I created a tag [half] to thin out the tall boccage as per the original mod & map design as well as another tag [island] for the ocean horizon.

The old mod was really already complet, a good job from our friend,

(The Magician @LongLeftFlank ), very nice atmostphere with the palms...

You dont want say too much but, the true is, you want to build a fortress in the front of the palms, and you fail... 🙃, yes CM or blender surprise us, sometime with the result !

Ok I will check what I can do !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

6 hours ago, 37mm said:

So you have tall bocage in a CMFI map?! This is very odd but suggests that the tall bocage is activated in Italy just not in the editor. Even stranger that the hedge was the thing preventing the hex editing from working. Wonder what would happen taking a CMBN map into FI. 

21 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

The single face billboards, like the doodads, work because they rotate to face the viewer, they don't have any volume as such, better would be a full 8m square made up of a series of rows each comprising a sandwich of three billboards which would give more of a sense of volume and can be oriented to align with your paddy. 

Yep, that´s what I´d in mind. Think I´d try 2x2 or 4x4m flavors for that and a flavor type beeing not an obstacle for any units movements. There´s a couple of them. Also smaller area FO´s allows adding more variety and won´t get all removed at once if some big HE hits the FO´s placement point/origin. More work to place these but SHIFT-ALT Click can place these comparatively quickly even on large fields.

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

Yep, that´s what I´d in mind. Think I´d try 2x2 or 4x4m flavors for that and a flavor type beeing not an obstacle for any units movements. There´s a couple of them. Also smaller area FO´s allows adding more variety and won´t get all removed at once if some big HE hits the FO´s placement point/origin. More work to place these but SHIFT-ALT Click can place these comparatively quickly even on large fields.

Sounds like a good plan. Adding it to the list ...

On 11/9/2022 at 6:15 PM, Lucky_Strike said:

So you have tall bocage in a CMFI map?! This is very odd but suggests that the tall bocage is activated in Italy just not in the editor. Even stranger that the hedge was the thing preventing the hex editing from working. Wonder what would happen taking a CMBN map into FI. 

My suspicion is that it wasn't actually the hedges, more some weird aspect of working on & saving the map to a later version... indeed I just checked @Aquila-SmartWargames later conversion hex edits without any difficulty, Tall Bocage & all.

Finishing the conversion is taking a little longer than I'd hoped. On the Japanese side, I have to swap out all the British bunkers (at least the ones not burning) for Italian ones... I'm about halfway through that task.

On the American side, the converted forces were kinda screwy so I had to rebuild & replace a lot of them.

However the extra time has had some added benefits, for instance motivating me to work on the US uniforms which are now all HBT* (original mods by KilgoreT )...

DYmooAy.png

As well as converting the LVT mod for M3a1 Half Tracks (I don't think there are M5a1's in FI)...

C9BXd3v.png

I've also broken up the "wave 3-5" reinforcement into its individual waves, just to make things a little less daunting for the player.

Here's an example of a screwy conversion artifact, a 3 man Sherman carrying Demo charges...

8w2kLpd.png

I've also added some force backgrounds, a rudimentary splash screen, some music & played around with the floating icons... oh & tidied up the tiny concept scenarios with some basic victory objectives & AI plans.

Better get back to swapping those bunkers!

*The late war Marines from the original Pacific mod are now activated by a [brown] tag.

Edited by 37mm

17 minutes ago, 37mm said:

My suspicion is that it wasn't actually the hedges, more some weird aspect of working on & saving the map to a later version... indeed I just checked @Aquila-SmartWargames later conversion hex edits without any difficulty, Tall Bocage & all.

Finishing the conversion is taking a little longer than I'd hoped. On the Japanese side, I have to swap out all the British bunkers (at least the ones not burning) for Italian ones... I'm about halfway through that task.

On the American side, the converted forces were kinda screwy so I had to rebuild & replace a lot of them.

However the extra time has had some added benefits, for instance motivating me to work on the US uniforms which are now all HBT* (original mods by KilgoreT )...

As well as converting the LVT mod for M3a1 Half Tracks (I don't think there are M5a1's in FI)...

I've also broken up the "wave 3-5" reinforcement into its individual waves, just to make things a little less daunting for the player.

Here's an example of a screwy conversion artifact, a 3 man Sherman carrying Demo charges...

I've also added some force backgrounds, a rudimentary splash screen, some music & played around with the floating icons... oh & tidied up the tiny concept scenarios with some basic victory objectives & AI plans.

*The late war Marines from the original Pacific mod are now activated by a [brown] tag.

I won't even pretend to understand most of what you're doing, it's a whole other kind of magic that I'm not very familiar with at all. However it does look great and sounds like you're making good progress, and that'll be appreciated by everyone I'll sure.

I have been looking at my earlier tree work again as I intend to get back to making my long promised mods for various theatres, all good as I can apply what I'm learning to creating some trees for the Pacific theatre. 

9 hours ago, 37mm said:

DYmooAy.png

C9BXd3v.png

8w2kLpd.png

Although I´m not overly interested in PT... but this I´d like trying out when it´s ready and when I´d ....CMFI (which I don´t 😛).  And I see many interesting little concepts  put to practice here! 😎👍 Inspiring.

10 hours ago, 37mm said:

DYmooAy.png

C9BXd3v.png

8w2kLpd.png

The second series of Screenshots are really interresting and promoting I like better the ww2 series this is perhaps the reason.

I would like to give full my support of this project, but I fall of a helmet model that for me is too complicated to resolve the overview.

Also when @Lucky_Strike give me his full heart to help me, i am not able to change much of the model, this is why I propose to send you the stuff that I did, you can use what you judge interresting to added like minimum perhaps  the straps, and covers, but probably keep the helmets that you did already, sorry to don't respond completly to my proposal, but for the time I try again to have a correct aspect of the helmet, only to inform you that not all is lost about what I do, and I keep my words.

I will be very happy if you can change yourself the meshes of the helmet.

Let me a link that I can send the stuffs that you see the first approach.

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

Ok new try @37mm with the original mod from @LongLeftFlank renamed for the Italians !

blender view right uk airborne  I guess that you are using in the frst screenchot ?? left the new japanish 

jGw6HCE.png

5TYoynU.png

In game overview 

CaHZZsm.jpg

UdST3KI.jpg

Opinion reclamation...

if there are ok I will try to work on (off and nco helmet) cup

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

7 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Ok new try @37mm with the original mod from @LongLeftFlank renamed for the Italians !

blender view right uk airborne  I guess that you are using in the frst screenchot ?? left the new japanish 

jGw6HCE.png

5TYoynU.png

In game overview 

CaHZZsm.jpg

UdST3KI.jpg

Opinion reclamation...

if there are ok I will try to work on (off and nco helmet) cup

JM

Looking good JM! 😎 For net covered helmet version I´d likely try a normal map version for even better looks. Just need someone who can create these properly.

9 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Looking good JM! 😎 For net covered helmet version I´d likely try a normal map version for even better looks. Just need someone who can create these properly.

Thank you @RockinHarry, I made already one normal map with paint.net but like we can see the result is not what I was waiting, I will check if I cannot added more "bumb" with another procedure.

JM

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Thank you @RockinHarry, I made already one normal map with paint.net but like we can see the result is not what I was waiting, I will check if I cannot added more "bumb" with another procedure.

JM

Mark shared a link to online normal map creation site just recently. But haven´t tried yet, so IDK how it works there. Always used that NVidia plugin for Photoshop CS2.

https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

52 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Mark shared a link to online normal map creation site just recently. But haven´t tried yet, so IDK how it works there. Always used that NVidia plugin for Photoshop CS2.

https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Ohhhh !!! normal map online never saw this I was busy to test emboss, outline, relief... from paint but I wil try first your link !

😉 

cK2ze4t.png

10 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Ohhhh !!! normal map online never saw this I was busy to test emboss, outline, relief... from paint but I wil try first your link !

😉 

cK2ze4t.png

ah nice. Didn´t know paint has a plugin like that. GIMP has as well but I´m too much used to the NVidia thing in PS, been always of good use and providing great results. But anyway, normal map would be just icing on the cake maybe. Your current helmet versions look great already. 😎