Are Abrams using a new invisibility technique?

Me and a buddy have been playing a number of scenarios. US vs Russia.....we alternate every game and the Abrams seem to be invisible. The Russians can be sitting there observing their front with open hatches and as the Abrams move up they just take out each tank before they are even seen in total daylight. I'm in a game right now where 2 Abrams are slowly advancing upon the Russians in a static position and they always get the first shot which is lethal and even if it takes two shots they are still unseen. The Russian tanks aren't even getting off a shot. They don't seem to see the Abrams until they are already dead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 7:57 AM, AndreaVochieri said:

I'm not experiencing the same...My Abrams get destroyed easily in the campaign I'm playing when I do not pay attention. By the way, the manual states that newer Abrams versions have top notch optics and firing control system, what do you expect?

Well I would expect static tanks under cover and scanning their front from open hatches would be able to see a moving tank and be able to get off a shot.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:53 AM, Mesquite55 said:

We alternate sides and the results are the same. Abrams are taking out Russian tanks in massive numbers. In our current game 5 Abrams have taken out about 30 t-90's which are under cover and static with open hatches with no return fire....not even aiming.

I have not experienced this in games i play.  Often T90s spot Abrams first.

Curious, is there an elevation difference between the units?  If so, which is higher.  I havent tested it to know for certain, but I suspect that units at higher elevation spot quicker than units at a lower elevation. (it is just an anecdotal observation at this point).

At what kind of ranges? 

At 2km out the Russian tank commander is probably using binoculars to scan with, and those do have a limited field of view. 

Don't put tanks w/o thermals where they can see for long distances. If they can see 4km away, they can be seen 4km away.

Use scout teams to watch for approaching armor. Infantry hiding in buildings is a lot harder for thermals to spot. Once they are spotted ambush M1s from the sides or rear whenever possible (with ATGMs too). 

H

In my experience yes Abrams will spot and shoot first. It will take multiple hits to the front except on the top hull or the gun mantlet. So you really don't want to mess with them. My advice is never look directly at them.

If you try the scenario "First Clash" you will quickly learn that the Russians have nothing to fight Abrams with. Even Kornet teams will typically get outspotted especially after they fire.

My advice is to fight Abrams as close of a range as you possibly can, minimizing ATGM flight time (Unless firing from the flank.. but even then expect to immediately run or lose your team), and maximizing rpg accuracy. Suck the Americans in close (With a false sense of security) and fight them there. Usually towns are the best for this, hiding infantry in the 2nd or even the 3rd line of houses. Keyhole all of your forces, so you minimize the effectiveness of armored platoons in their ability to immediately counterattack you with cannon fire.

Absolutely nothing in the Russian inventory stands a chance. If your opponent is good not even T-90AM will be able to kill their Abrams tanks.

Open hatches are a waste of time. Up close your commanders get killed by infantry. Far away and your commander won't be able to see as well as he can with his swiveling commanders periscope. There might be a sweet spot at around 3-500m, but the usefulness of this is extremely limited. When you keep your hatches open that's just another couple seconds your crew will waste in targeting, since they need to button up before firing. You really don't want that. In the WW2 titles fine, but in this age vehicles can turn their turrets VERY quickly and kill you just as quick.

Like XCOM, you learn that a lot of these things are just a case of ending up on the wrong side of the numbers. Most of the time, spotting works exactly how you'd expect.

Other times, it will drive you absolutely crazy.

The T-90 is a great tank when you play against similar equipment, it's top-of-the-line, but you soon realise the FCS is nowhere near as good as the Abrams. The commander does has a habit of missing seemingly straightforward spots.

Just keep playing and accept that on this occasion the CM2 Gods did not smile upon you.