Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

8 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Oh that is some clever engineering!  Instead of having the gun recoil backwards, it moves forward and recoils only slightly past its starting point.  Presumably this allows the crew to be active directly behind the gun without threat of being sent into the next field with a hundred broken bones.  Very interesting.

[edit] info out there says the primary reason for the design is to keep the overall weight down and also ensure that the Humvee platform doesn't fall apart after being used a bunch of times.

Steve

5 hours ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

I cant think of many systems that employ such a recoil system, well spotted. Very curious to know how viable these systems are. To me this sort of gun system could very feasibly be mounted on a wide variety of wheeled chassis, though the range might be a problem with the FPV threat. 

As Armored Top Hat sort of mentioned, artilleries biggest problem is now drones. One noteworthy advantage of this system, and it has quite a few, is that there is no base plate or similar that has to be put down, and then picked up. That allows it to stop, fire, and then displace, that much faster.  Given the unfriendly attention a mid range gun like this one would draw as soon as it opens up, that matters.

Edited by dan/california

I cant think of many systems that employ such a recoil system, well spotted.

It's part of the job.  As was forwarding this to the programmers and saying "guess what you need to code?"

Very curious to know how viable these systems are. To me this sort of gun system could very feasibly be mounted on a wide variety of wheeled chassis, though the range might be a problem with the FPV threat. 

Now that I've seen it in action (thanks for that) I recall reading about this system a while back.  I guess I didn't think through what I read about the novel recoil system in terms of visual simulation.  Now that I see it... well, it's kinda obvious!

I have a pretty good understanding of the dynamics and physics of recoil (again, part of the job).  My guess is the Humvee's chassis is reinforced quite extensively, but similar modifications to similarly capable vehicles should work fine.  In fact, thanks to FPVs and mines I would be looking at having the gun be readily installed/removed by mid level maintenance.  That way a battery could have a couple of spare chassis sitting rearward as replacements for the platform getting put out of service.  Because it's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where the vehicle is put out of action for a while yet the gun is still serviceable.  Such a feature would also make it pretty attractive to other clients because they could add it to whatever their Humvee equivalent is.

In fact, if I were in charge of military purchasing strategy, I would put out an edict that all mobile weapons platforms have a bolt on/off feature for the weapon.  For all I know this one has that already.

Steve

9 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Oh that is some clever engineering!  Instead of having the gun recoil backwards, it moves forward and recoils only slightly past its starting point.  Presumably this allows the crew to be active directly behind the gun without threat of being sent into the next field with a hundred broken bones.  Very interesting.

[edit] info out there says the primary reason for the design is to keep the overall weight down and also ensure that the Humvee platform doesn't fall apart after being used a bunch of times.

Steve

It also looks like it has two stabilizer legs on the back of the Humvee to lock it into position... make sure the 3D team sees that when they build it.  ;)  Still, I would imagine this thing could fire off half a dozen rounds throw those legs up and drive to a new position in minutes.  

1 hour ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

Potentially valuable strike provided its not a decoy. Radars I would presume are the first failing point with regards to limited reserves for S-400 I would presume? 

Absolutely. The amount of launchers is in the hundreds. The amount of radars is the Achilles' heel.

Now could it be propaganda? maybe. also keep in mind Russia and Ukraine are using civilian looking vehicles and especially for Ukraine, NGOs help supply Ukr forces, with that said, i dont have any reason to doubt deliberate targeting of civilians, article is talking about constant attacks occurring in Kherson oblast, air glide bombs no longer occur, but Russian forces train in the sector, especially their FPV teams. 

https://kyivindependent.com/human-safari-kherson-civilians-hunted-down-by-russian-drones/

Edited by FancyCat

47 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

Now could it be propaganda? maybe. also keep in mind Russia and Ukraine are using civilian looking vehicles and especially for Ukraine, NGOs help supply Ukr forces, with that said, i dont have any reason to doubt deliberate targeting of civilians, article is talking about constant attacks occurring in Kherson oblast, air glide bombs no longer occur, but Russian forces train in the sector, especially their FPV teams. 

https://kyivindependent.com/human-safari-kherson-civilians-hunted-down-by-russian-drones/

I don't think it is propaganda. As the article says "The sapper shared a Telegram channel where Russian drone operators post videos of these attacks." I didn't watch it but remember seeing one of the commonly linked Twitter accounts post such a video of an attack on a woman riding a bicycle.