NEW CMFI SCENARIO WITH MODS: ITALIAN PARTISANS

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

I also want to "blank" out some of the headgear files so guys show up without a hat. The poor new guy! Aint got no hat yet!

+1.  IMO a scattering of no headgear helps to portray an irregular unit or a hard pressed conventional unit.  Good job. 

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

a scattering of no headgear

any advice on where to tuck in the empty one?

such as for file names...item, item 2, item 3, item 4, item 5, you know what I mean.

I try to have variety but keep just seeing the same color hat/beret. Like the random picker just gets lazy and always grabs item and item 2?

Edited by kohlenklau

36 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

any advice on where to tuck in the empty one?

such as for file names...item, item 2, item 3, item 4, item 5, you know what I mean.

I try to have variety but keep just seeing the same color hat/beret. Like the random picker just gets lazy and always grabs item and item 2?

I usually attempt to blank out the headgear I like the least.  Just leaving the coolest remaining.  As you know under the options 3D model quality set to best will display more models.  I often add skins etc.   

Thanks Karl. I am sure I have it set to best. Let me tinker a bit.

Maybe I will set beret file name (the #1 guy with no number) as the blank and then tuck in the red for beret file name 2 and the black for beret file name 3. 

Filenames just dummy names there for discussion purposes. and the 4th will be the black beret with the rosette emblem

The partisan "anthem" has that kind of tone where they know they might die so they sing about it. Like jump zone songs? Box me up and ship me home...<<Fell out of many perfectly good airplanes/helicopters...Fort Benning 1985 graduate>>

Here are the words to the partisan song Bella Ciao

Una mattina mi son svegliato,
o bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao!
Una mattina mi son svegliato
e ho trovato l'invasor.

O partigiano portami via,
o bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao
o partigiano portami via
che mi sento di morir.

E se io muoio da partigiano,
o bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao,
e se io muoio da partigiano
tu mi devi seppellir.

Seppellire lassù in montagna,
seppellire lassù in montagna
sotto l'ombra di un bel fior.

E le genti che passeranno,
e le genti che passeranno
mi diranno «che bel fior.»

Questo è il fiore del partigiano,
questo è il fiore del partigiano
morto per la libertà

TRANSLATION

One morning I awakened,
oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao! (Goodbye beautiful)
One morning I awakened
And I found the invader.

Oh partisan carry me away,
oh bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao
oh partisan carry me away
Because I feel death approaching.

And if I die as a partisan,
and if I die as a partisan
then you must bury me.

Bury me up in the mountain,
bury me up in the mountain
under the shade of a beautiful flower.

And all those who shall pass,
and all those who shall pass
will tell me "what a beautiful flower."

This is the flower of the partisan,
this is the flower of the partisan
who died for freedom

28 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

<<Fell out of many perfectly good airplanes/helicopters...Fort Benning 1985 graduate>>

Did you do Jump School at Benning in 85?  I graduated in early 1984.  Jump wings on Fryer Drop Zone.  IIRC I was in 42nd Training Company.  Went on to 313th MI Bn 82 Abn.  Its the 313th crest in my forum avatar.

Summer 1985. I cannot remember the jump zone or the company! I think they said we took off from Georgia and actually landed in Alabama? The Training Battalion CO took his German Shepherd on a few jumps. Another staff officer was a Vietnam War stud...I forget his name. 

And I remember this...

I smell smoke!...THE ROOF!  THE ROOF! THE ROOF IS ON FIRE...we don't need no water let the m&&55Th#44 burn! Burn m&&55Th#44! Burn! 

4 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Summer 1985. I cannot remember the jump zone or the company! I think they said we took off from Georgia and actually landed in Alabama? The Training Battalion CO took his German Shepherd on a few jumps. Another staff officer was a Vietnam War stud...I forget his name. 

And I remember this...

I smell smoke!...THE ROOF!  THE ROOF! THE ROOF IS ON FIRE...we don't need no water let the m&&55Th#44 burn! Burn m&&55Th#44! Burn! 

Yep, Fryer Drop Zone is in Alabama.  We did C-130s and C-141s.  I didn't jump any helos until after I was at Ft. Bragg.  Good times.

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Mad as badgers, the pair of you!  :P

That aint all of it. I played with lots of explosives. I also spent time down at 285fsw on air and HeO2. You was wondering why I am so effed up! Now it seems I have to warm up and stretch BEFORE I warm up and stretch. But the graveyards and VA clinics are filled with many many much worse off than me. I am good to go. In 2 hours I go to work and try to help veterans...🇺🇸

11 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Does CMBN have a French resistance Mod?

If there isn't, there should be!  ;)

My first scenario concept for Italian Partisans fell flat on its face when @MOS:96B2P reminded me that you can't directly make mines an objective.....I still think the concept has merit, but it will have to be implemented in a different manner, which will require further thought.

The most difficult issue with these tiny units tends to be that a single RPG or 82mm mortar round can utterly lay waste to the player's force, thus balancing your scenario can be very tricky.

With regards to uniforms hats etc.  Is it possible to mix bits of standard Italian military kit into the mix?

Also would it be possible to ensure in the future that at least one Italian unit type can alway be used 'as is' alongside these mods, so that units in this uniform can be mixed in with Partizani to give a more militaristic look.....They do kind of look like certain Sicilians right now!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

With regards to uniforms hats etc.  Is it possible to mix bits of standard Italian military kit into the mix?

Also would it be possible to ensure in the future that at least one Italian unit type can alway be used 'as is' alongside these mods, so that units in this uniform can be mixed in with Partizani to give a more militaristic look.....They do kind of look like certain Sicilians right now! 

We CURRENTLY have only 3 headgear choices in the mod. Remember that these are really the French. kepi=feldmutze. Goumier helmet=beret. British style helmet=fedora. We could pluck out 1 of the 3 and add in an Italian cap, the bustina. As an option.

I had thought from reading my Osprey book about Italian Partisan Warfare to also slide in a British mod as SOE operatives. They did have a direct involvement towards the end. 

I suppose my current mod is/was a vision of the earlier timeframe before major allied assistance as I saw it and was able to mod it within limits. You very well know the drill from H&E! 

One area we might pull off what you want is the greatcoat appearance in winter months. We don't HAVE to use the greatcoat. If the French have a greatcoat. I am not sure. I can see later...

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

A recoloured ZIS-5 truck from CM:RT would make an excellent civilian truck for any of the WWII games, ironically CM:FI in particular as IIRC it was derived from an earlier Italian design.

I already did that for the CMRT Warsaw Uprising Mod. I made it red with some lettering on the doors. 

Could it be ported onto the default French truck?  As I say it has vaguely Italian ancestry so it would be very suitable. 

Is it possible to get more than one colour scheme for the Opel Kadett?

It's a shame that vehicles don't cause damage by contact, or we could make something very novel.....Apparently in the period just before the US formally sided with the Allies a number of Americans of German ancestry (& with suspected Abwehr connections) were involved in unfortunate, often fatal, accidents with cars driven by Americans of Sicilian ancestry (& with suspected Mafia connections).  :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Could it

Yes, the Soviet truck mdr "shell" can be renamed over the US 6x6 "host" mdr. The image in the game of course changes and the UI icon is a truck for both. The physics do not change but it is probably a close enough match. 1 driver each. no weapons. takes passengers. 

I have not had luck with too many color variations. You can try 1 red Kadett and 1 green Kadett and the game will possibly display green doors on the red body! 

1 minute ago, kohlenklau said:

I have not had luck with too many color variations. You can try 1 red Kadett and 1 green Kadett and the game will possibly display green doors on the red body!

With the right two colours that might actually look OK for a civilian car.....Two tone was quite the thing in the thirties IIRC.  B)

I'm still messing about with the units, seeing what I can make.....I had thought one of the Italians' many antitank rifles was available in CM:FI, but I haven't managed to find it in the editor yet.  :unsure:

In my experimental scenario I'm using a mix of your Partizani and 1943 Italian Infantry.....The idea being that a small group of (probably SOE backed) partisans have made an alliance with a rather disreputable band of Italian & German deserters in order to speed the Allies advance into the area. 

The Germans are laying mines & fortifying a local strongpoint, the player has to mess with their work.....Still playing about with units and messing with the map, I have absolutely no idea how (or if) it will work it yet. 

zQXOH2R.jpg

CNFxN1l.jpg

@Sgt.Squarehead

I wanted to throw my 2 cents of ideas at you: Mines: what is possible is to make the "danger! mine!" sign as a regular flavor object with NO actual mines. Then you could have multiple small sections of touch objectives that represent accomplishing the mine clearance? (Maybe you already thought of this. No big deal)

Sure, I can add the Sten as an option for partisan weapons.