rZ2n7PW.jpg

... got it?

... ohh yessss!

ECPpeWR.jpg

... big @ss chimnies'r'us

mHW7pzv.jpg

... is it big enough? Is too much?

RImSeqw.jpg

... texture needs a bit of work, depending on the size. Absolutely not tested, and unknown what might happen if anyone gets inside which they might be able to do. A free glass of my whisky for me if you can guess the host. Answers on a postcard, closing date for entries tonight, my time.

Very nice very interresting project we can do a lot of things with this I 

JM

10 hours ago, NPye said:

Your chim fits the bill perfectly... This is taken from the Reichstag roof. It's huge???

Hargh, that's a coincidence that it looks quite similar. It's quite close to the centre as well, wonder if it's on the map I have will need to take a look. Hard to be sure with foreshortening but that bridge should help locate it.

14 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

And what's that I see in the distance?

Just a moment whilst I put my specs on 👓

Is it a 🦅?

Is it a 🛩️ ?

... no ...

... it's 🎅 delivering an early gift ... 

... not really, but ...

rZ2n7PW.jpg

... got it?

... ohh yessss!

ECPpeWR.jpg

... big @ss chimnies'r'us

mHW7pzv.jpg

... is it big enough? Is too much?

RImSeqw.jpg

... texture needs a bit of work, depending on the size. Absolutely not tested, and unknown what might happen if anyone gets inside which they might be able to do. A free glass of my whisky for me if you can guess the host. Answers on a postcard, closing date for entries tonight, my time.

I LOVE IT!

Okay without further ado, first the winner of the name that host object competition - after much deliberation and an overwhelming response ... Harry was nearest by a fairly large margin (in as much as he at least managed to respond) so I guess he's the winner. I'll drink a glass 🥃 to your health.

Now onto the actual nitty gritty. Not sure if you're all aware but over on the custom 3D models thread Harry found an addon for Blender which I had completely forgotten about and not tried, despite installing it some time last year. Anyway, simply put it allows the wholesale copying of the metadata from original objects in the host mdr to any new objects, imported or appended or newly created. This then seems to allow for proper export of the modded mdr with metadata intact. So far it seems to work successfully, with more testing we hope it will enable models that function correctly within the game.

As my first test I ran the process on the big ol' chimney since this had failed to export with full metadata. Although it looked fine in game I was cautious that it might not work properly. I have now exported it with full metadata and play tested it. The good news is that it worked flawlessly, the not so good is that I inadvertently forgot one problem with the host object that probably means a plan B is needed. The host object is a ...

concrete shelter/bunker

So, the good it can be occupied and provides the same cover as a concrete bunker, reasonably appropriate for something the size of the chimney; it only has the one level, which I think is appropriate for a large hollow structure (yes I understand it might be possible, in reality, to have an FO scale a structure like this and use it as an OP); it is not destructible, that is it won't suddenly disappear like a flavor object; it can be assaulted, defended, knocked out, provides cover and must be driven around. Now the not so good - as it's a bunker it has to be selected by one side, or the other, during force selection and placed by the selecting side; it is only seen by the side selecting it and remains unknown by the opposition until it's spotted, in the same way as any bunker would normally be spotted, despite its rather huge presence; you can't blow it to bits.

I chose the concrete bunker originally as I knew there were none in Nigel's maps for his Berlin mod. I liked the idea that it might actually have some combat purpose and was not just eye-candy, however the fact that it only appears when spotted is a bit annoying. I may actually go with a windmill after all, that was originally my thought on making this or some other large building (Brandenburg Gate). However I think if a windmill is used then I need to find a model that justifies the extra floors - a large chimney like this just doesn't have floors. A large chimney attached to another building with floors may be the solution though ...

4 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Okay without further ado, first the winner of the name that host object competition - after much deliberation and an overwhelming response ... Harry was nearest by a fairly large margin (in as much as he at least managed to respond) so I guess he's the winner. I'll drink a glass 🥃 to your health.

lol... thanks bud! 😁🍻 Though would never had put my guess on the pillbox.  😁

4 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Now onto the actual nitty gritty. Not sure if you're all aware but over on the custom 3D models thread Harry found an addon for Blender which I had completely forgotten about and not tried, despite installing it some time last year. Anyway, simply put it allows the wholesale copying of the metadata from original objects in the host mdr to any new objects, imported or appended or newly created. This then seems to allow for proper export of the modded mdr with metadata intact. So far it seems to work successfully, with more testing we hope it will enable models that function correctly within the game.

As my first test I ran the process on the big ol' chimney since this had failed to export with full metadata. Although it looked fine in game I was cautious that it might not work properly. I have now exported it with full metadata and play tested it. The good news is that it worked flawlessly, the not so good is that I inadvertently forgot one problem with the host object that probably means a plan B is needed. The host object is a ...

concrete shelter/bunker

So, the good it can be occupied and provides the same cover as a concrete bunker, reasonably appropriate for something the size of the chimney; it only has the one level, which I think is appropriate for a large hollow structure (yes I understand it might be possible, in reality, to have an FO scale a structure like this and use it as an OP); it is not destructible, that is it won't suddenly disappear like a flavor object; it can be assaulted, defended, knocked out, provides cover and must be driven around. Now the not so good - as it's a bunker it has to be selected by one side, or the other, during force selection and placed by the selecting side; it is only seen by the side selecting it and remains unknown by the opposition until it's spotted, in the same way as any bunker would normally be spotted, despite its rather huge presence; you can't blow it to bits.

I chose the concrete bunker originally as I knew there were none in Nigel's maps for his Berlin mod. I liked the idea that it might actually have some combat purpose and was not just eye-candy, however the fact that it only appears when spotted is a bit annoying. I may actually go with a windmill after all, that was originally my thought on making this or some other large building (Brandenburg Gate). However I think if a windmill is used then I need to find a model that justifies the extra floors - a large chimney like this just doesn't have floors. A large chimney attached to another building with floors may be the solution though ...

Lots of effort but I think these issues were to be expected unfortunately. Though cool idea but maybe yet a step too far ahead. So I´d another look at CMRT goodies and found some in FR module BRZ:

Beside windmill I also saw that big cathedral building derivate looking like a tall factory with 2 smaller chimneys. Didn´t yet know that this one was in there at all. 🧐

Windmill, editor commercial #9
\red thunder v210b\buildings 1\building 108 windmill

Factory building w Chimneys, editor commercial #10
\red thunder v210b\buildings 1\building 109

GoT3lv4.jpg

So my likely approach would be to investigate both these buildings first, then see what we could possibly do with them. Windmill for beeing a multi level building and having a halfway rounded shape. Factory for seeing how its chimneys are beeing set up re META data and such. Then maybe we could combine gathered knowledge (or advanced guessworks lol) for creating a chimney that is both multi level enterable and avoids your mentioned FOW/ownership issues.

I used a similar idea in my YEG mission when hacking a 8x8m mod building to have a flat roof, then serving and look like a concrete pillbox. Though it´s just an expedient due to its  sh*tty cover value. 😛 Yet it´s a "neutral", pillbox like looking structure that both opponents can try fighting for. ⚔️ For final version I´d removed flat roof again since it didn´t yield any improved cover or other benefit (beside looks). Then decided for "damaged version", just having its facade textures changed.

RHZ-YEG-2-Strongpoint.jpg

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Dragon teeth, dead soldiers, Red Cross trucks and SPW, larger trees, factory chimneys, dugged in tanks etc.etc.

You guys are unbelievable!

Personally I think that the absence of dragon teeth in CM is inexcusable.

Dont worry friend, about the stuffs that I propose, I will try to keep my words, only about the dead soldiers is a little more  complicated that I was thinking, but, also there I am working on...

But probably I will first writting also a book about,  "Mein Kampf" to manage better textures in gimp and blender, my daily fight

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

This dug in Panzer IV is well placed to deal with enemy armour, but how effective is it against their heavies?...........

RrEIPQ.png

This effective....

RrTiDi.png

I'm now placing all the new stuff, the mod is really coming together...Cheers guys for all your help, support and expert blender models. Cheers

Edited by NPye

44 minutes ago, NPye said:

BTW utilised Aquilas tent, and made a Zeltbahn, added a Wehrmacht poncho texture (were they snack 4-5 together to make a tent), not sure for Berlin Mod but maybe good for Normandy????

RrESYr.png

RrE5pK.jpg

RrEy1c.jpg

Very nice tell me how you are able to put the x+💣🐜🤬🧑‍🦽😇 textures on your tents...I am fighiting to find the correct ones blender accept the 24 bits with alpha but CM not when I put 32 bits with or without alpha CM accepts but impossible to apply in blender like blender dont  reconised the file, I am 💩 lost with this procedure @Lucky_Strike explain me the correct way but this doesnt work with dds or tga files that I convert in bmp... grrr I could be finish with my wreck, but I am  constantly in a trafic jump (whisper in my ears how you did) ...

JM

31 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Very nice tell me how you are able to put the x+💣🐜🤬🧑‍🦽😇 textures on your tents...I am fighiting to find the correct ones blender accept the 24 bits with alpha but CM not when I put 32 bits with or without alpha CM accepts but impossible to apply in blender like blender dont  reconised the file, I am 💩 lost with this procedure @Lucky_Strike explain me the correct way but this doesnt work with dds or tga files that I convert in bmp... grrr I could be finish with my wreck, but I am  constantly in a trafic jump (whisper in my ears how you did) ...

JM

Hi, I changed the .bmp file that comes with the model. Cheeers

10 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Lots of effort but I think these issues were to be expected unfortunately. Though cool idea but maybe yet a step too far ahead. So I´d another look at CMRT goodies and found some in FR module BRZ:

Beside windmill I also saw that big cathedral building derivate looking like a tall factory with 2 smaller chimneys. Didn´t yet know that this one was in there at all. 🧐

Windmill, editor commercial #9
\red thunder v210b\buildings 1\building 108 windmill

Factory building w Chimneys, editor commercial #10
\red thunder v210b\buildings 1\building 109

Yeah, excitement at making it work got the better of me!

I think the church towers are probably in use, @NPye could confirm what's already in the maps. But am very interested in the toy town factory. Not thinking the chimney needs to be anything more than a chimney ie doesn't need to be something that an FO can sit on top of, so the model I have would work quite well, scaled down a little. The main body of the factory looks a little small but I suppose it could be bolted to other industrial buildings to create a complex. Will need to go have a look at them on a map. Windmill's footprint is a bit too large for a chimney, though could integrate another structure (engine house) to fill out the footprint. Again if you, Nigel, can let me know what building are NOT is use then I can work with that. Once done you (Nigel) can sprinkle some magic textures on them.

Then maybe we could combine gathered knowledge (or advanced guessworks lol) for creating a chimney that is both multi level enterable and avoids your mentioned FOW/ownership issues.

Yeah, as I said I'm not worried about it being multi-level. In RL one would have to scale it from the outside to get to the top as these things don't really have floors. It would be good if it could be occupied, though again it's not essential, rather if attached to a building then that building should work as normal. More important is to overcome the FOW issue.

I used a similar idea in my YEG mission when hacking a 8x8m mod building to have a flat roof, then serving and look like a concrete pillbox. Though it´s just an expedient due to its  sh*tty cover value. 😛 Yet it´s a "neutral", pillbox like looking structure that both opponents can try fighting for. ⚔️ For final version I´d removed flat roof again since it didn´t yield any improved cover or other benefit (beside looks). Then decided for "damaged version", just having its facade textures changed.

I recall seeing this. I wonder now with the ability to easily copy metadata if a house to be given the donated metadata of a bunker ...? It should be fairly trivial to remodel the bunkers to look better, retaining their volume and other characteristics whilst giving them a new skin. I've been pondering making them into more embedded emplacements, so that they blend better with the landscape. Adding some external earthwork and covering their roofs with soil and vegetation. With ethe way they already work with a ditch it would certainly improve how they look. If you can resolve the wormhole effect with your metadata tweak they would look great.  

10 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Dragon teeth, dead soldiers, Red Cross trucks and SPW, larger trees, factory chimneys, dugged in tanks etc.etc.

You guys are unbelievable!

Hehe, and it's getting better all the time. Thanks for your support Aragorn!

10 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Personally I think that the absence of dragon teeth in CM is inexcusable.

Yes, couldn't agree more.

5 hours ago, NPye said:

This dug in Panzer IV is well placed to deal with enemy armour, but how effective is it against their heavies?...........

This effective....

I'm now placing all the new stuff, the mod is really coming together...Cheers guys for all your help, support and expert blender models. Cheers

Great - it's amazing what the 75mm PaK could do.

Really looking forward to your new mod set.

5 hours ago, NPye said:

BTW utilised Aquilas tent, and made a Zeltbahn, added a Wehrmacht poncho texture (were they snack 4-5 together to make a tent), not sure for Berlin Mod but maybe good for Normandy????

Yes definitely a good addition to BN - goddamnit I wish we had proper slit trenches and foxholes, a few of these over a slit trench would really work a treat. 

8 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I think the church towers are probably in use, @NPye could confirm what's already in the maps. But am very interested in the toy town factory. Not thinking the chimney needs to be anything more than a chimney ie doesn't need to be something that an FO can sit on top of, so the model I have would work quite well, scaled down a little. The main body of the factory looks a little small but I suppose it could be bolted to other industrial buildings to create a complex. Will need to go have a look at them on a map. Windmill's footprint is a bit too large for a chimney, though could integrate another structure (engine house) to fill out the footprint. Again if you, Nigel, can let me know what building are NOT is use then I can work with that. Once done you (Nigel) can sprinkle some magic textures on them.

11 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Cool I use the 7 story church tower, so the 8 story X2 is free, and as its a building you can add as many versions as you want just by correct numbering sequence. I have used the factory but could easily change that. Cheers bud really looking forward to the chimney....:)

4 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

JM

JM mate - you gotta find something else other than GiMP for your final bmps output, did you have a go at what @kohlenklau suggested? Blender doesn't care too much about image file types, it's not where you need to look to solve this, GiMP is the issue.