Target Profile of HIDING = COWERING?

Well, a soldier represents both a siting profile and a target profile to enemy direct shooters.

Sometimes, they COWER and I assume that are trying to get small.  And the HIDE command should also cause units to get small.

So, my question is which situation is smaller?

I have a command unit that has been spotted, but I need them for FO duty.  How best to handle their situation before the fire mission begins?  (trust me I analyzed the entire map looking for a better spot and could not find one)

Thanks.

Edited by markshot

Camera Position 1 is the POV of a standing trooper. Lower than position 1 is Hiding (voluntary) and cowering (involuntarily), but it is a similar position. Your HQ unit which is doing the spotting. Let him call the artillery after putting him in hide (He should have at least concealment (example a wheatfield). Get him out of hiding when you see the spotting rounds. They do some spotting whilst hiding read the small green script bottom left corner of your UI. 

If they've been spotted, and are taking fire, they'll cower, and be no use for spotting. And the FO might stop a bullet, making the situation permanent. I'd Hide them on alternate minutes. Their tormentors will potentially lose sight of them, (if operating under TacAI) and stop firing at them, and making them keep their heads down for a bit will mean they get a chance to stop being suppressed, so they can effectively spot.

I'd try and make some efforts towards suppressing the wicked monsters that are harassing your poor, innocent observer though, if you can, at all.

Don't get confused between graphical abstractions and the way the game is coded.  A unit on HIDE may look the same as the unit cowering, but IIRC, the engine will calculate the hiding unit is smaller, or less easy to see and hit.  

FWIW I usually have all recon units have a HIDE command and waypoints only 10-20 meters apart and with 5-10 second PAUSES.  The idea being that if the recon team is seen or shot at, at the next waypoint they will HIDE and often that will break the enemy AI's LOS and the AI forgets quickly (either immediately, or certainly within 5-10 seconds).  

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, womble said:

If they've been spotted, and are taking fire, they'll cower, and be no use for spotting. And the FO might stop a bullet, making the situation permanent. I'd Hide them on alternate minutes. Their tormentors will potentially lose sight of them, (if operating under TacAI) and stop firing at them, and making them keep their heads down for a bit will mean they get a chance to stop being suppressed, so they can effectively spot.

I'd try and make some efforts towards suppressing the wicked monsters that are harassing your poor, innocent observer though, if you can, at all.

Staying in place and hiding is a little suspect, I think. The enemy AI still gets spotting contacts, and if they have a spotting contact on that location once, it'll be easier to get another one if they don't move. That can still be the best option - if there's no possible secondary position then you pretty much have to suck it up, but I can't believe that's the best Plan A.

It's the same reason you never move forward from a hull-down position - if you've been firing from a location, then you're giving them a spotting contact on that spot, so moving forward makes you vulnerable, in a position where they know exactly where you are.

if you do battle with the AI. I think if a unit has become a 'spotting contact' it won't fire at you. We can still do area fire if the full contact becomes a spotting contact. It is time to put some HE on the area then. The AI in a house will go to a lower floor or exit the building. My experience to engage with direct fire on a spotting contact is a good way to waste ammo. 15 seconds is a good limit. 

On 6/7/2021 at 11:24 PM, domfluff said:

It's the same reason you never move forward from a hull-down position - if you've been firing from a location, then you're giving them a spotting contact on that spot, so moving forward makes you vulnerable, in a position where they know exactly where you are.

Unfortunately, once your opponent has a contact marker for one of your tanks, he keeps the bonus to spot that tank for rest of the battle, no matter if you move away from that location.

Edited by Bulletpoint