Jagdpanther schurzen?

18 hours ago, Vacillator said:

She sure is Mark, great find.  Although I prefer fully functional models, without enemy soldiers sunbathing on top.

EDIT 1: I'll save you the trouble of an 'ooh-err, missus'.

EDIT 2: Am I right in thinking 654 was the unit involved in the 'famous' battle where three Jagdpanthers take out erm quite a few British tanks, subject of a CM scenario which I quite liked?  I think they dumped them afterwards so that picture may be one of them?

EDIT 3:  I can see traces of your Hedgerow Hell mod in that photo 😉.

Yes, as Mr Warts says.

654 was the only unit in Normandy equipped with JagdPanthers. The vehicle in the image is No.334 which was lost on 3 August according to the unit diary, near St Georges church. The unit eventually lost some 22 JagdPanthers between 31 July and 28 August (a not insignificant amount to PIATs apparently).

On 3/1/2021 at 7:21 PM, Bubba883XL said:

I've notice alot in wargaming in general that the jagdpanther is often modelled or shown without its schurzen , is there any chance we could see this change in combat mission? To me it just feels to naked without some with it on. 

My thought is that most lost their schurzen pretty quickly whilst fighting in and moving through the narrow country lanes. No doubt they would try to hug the raised banks for extra concealment so inevitably they would be scraping against all sorts of branches and obstacles large enough to wrench the schurzen off their brackets.

17 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

My thought is that most lost their schurzen pretty quickly

Yes for sure.  Whether or not this was also true of 'non-Jagd' Panthers is a question though, as there are lots of photos of them with schurzen - more of them were there of course.

I'm curious about the caption on the picture - is there any further indication of what the interesting feature/weakness may have been?   Looking at it through the hatch would seem an odd way to investigate it, but there may have been other things inside putting the sunbather off from entering for a closer look.

No doubt it's just journalistic license as I doubt linked notes/records would be available.  Let's make up a story around a photo kind of thing.

Edited by Vacillator

55 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I'm curious about the caption on the picture - is there any further indication of what the interesting feature/weakness may have been?   Looking at it through the hatch would seem an odd way to investigate it, but there may have been other things inside putting the sunbather off from entering for a closer look.

No doubt it's just journalistic license as I doubt linked notes/records would be available.  Let's make up a story around a photo kind of thing.

The initials USAHEC would suggest that the caption was written decades after the war.

15 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Well it's a great picture, and I suppose they had to explain a semi-naked fellow snaking his way over the top. 

Saying he'd lost his shirt, sun screen or sunglasses (or even his normal glasses) wouldn't have sounded so exciting.

That's true. Although I've had a lot of fun over the last forty years seeing USatian captions blown out of the water, and long may it continue.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

I managed to find one in Normandy with just one skirt left. All the others were a full set or none at all.

9207506007_769c3f54d7_b.jpg

On 9/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, Falaise said:

not taken in Normandy!

house shape...

moreover the vegetation is winter

east France probably

Yeah pretty sure that one was in the Roer River campaign Oct/Nov. There was a unit there that took on US and maybe British forces around Geilenkirchen if IRC. (Don't quote me on that. :P ) 

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Yes for sure.  Whether or not this was also true of 'non-Jagd' Panthers is a question though, as there are lots of photos of them with schurzen - more of them were there of course.

Because I've got nothing better to do ...

So the image I posted is one of a series of 20 about the Normandy wrecks of s.Pz.Jg.Abt 654. There are four featuring the wreck of 334 and our shirtless friend. These four are all credited to the US Army Heritage and Education Centre.

Image 1 shows the wreck from the right side, about the same angle as that posted (image two). Our shirtless fellow prone on top, possibly another on the back deck. The caption mentions the unit diary entry, also states that the 'Jadgführer' was Uffz. Teltau. According to the caption the diary recorded the vehicle was bogged in a sunken lane then got shot up and burned out. However the author notes that 334 looks neither shot up nor burnt out, and that diary had likely confused 334 with 314 which was shot up and burnt out as recorded in several other images (featured in subsequent pages).

Image two of 334 is the one I posted. If you're late to the party it's back a page.

Image three is a low front view of 334 with our shirtless fellow (looks like a squaddie, could be one of Warts' relatives) still on the roof. The caption discusses a report by the Ministry of Supply, Armour Branch which goes into details about the armour strength and vulnerabilities of the JagdPanther, basically don't go head-on at them, attack from the sides; by stealth with PIAT; stacked up big AT mines; or Jabo rockets.

Image four is a rear view. This time the shirtless fellow is joined in conversation with his shirtless mate and an American trooper (shirt on) on the back deck, whilst another British-looking fellow (with his shirt on) is propping up the JP. The caption mentions the losses the unit suffered and the customisations to the stowage.

Still none the wiser as to what our fellow was doing on top - my interpretation, souvenir hunting, perhaps seeing if she'll run, can he take her home with him? After all there's no real sign of damage, no obvious holes, no scorching, not down on its suspension and the cannon looks to be fully extended.

Quickly, distractedly browsing through the rest of the book, there's barely a schurzen in sight. Of all the Stugs, Panthers, JagdPanthers, JgPz and PzIVs only the photos of 334, possibly 314 and a few turrets on PzIVs show any sign. Most are admittedly wrecks (hence the book title 🙃) and a lot are not in situ, but I think it goes to show that a short spell of combat would probably whip off most skirts! 

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Image three is a low front view of 334 with our shirtless fellow (looks like a squaddie, could be one of Warts' relatives)  

Nah, can't be Paddy. He was filling up barrels with Guinness that he was having pumped down PLUTO direct from Park Royal when the photos were taken.

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Nah, can't be Paddy. He was filling up barrels with Guinness that he was having pumped down PLUTO direct from Park Royal when the photos were taken.

I really learn some good British slang on this forum.

Next time I'm out with my brother for a pint of Guinness, I'll impress him by telling the bartender to "pump down that pint PLUTO direct from Park Royal"

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

I really learn some good British slang on this forum.

Next time I'm out with my brother for a pint of Guinness, I'll impress him by telling the bartender to "pump down that pint PLUTO direct from Park Royal"

Hahaha. Best not do that, the Park Royal brewery was demolished in 2006.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:14 AM, Lucky_Strike said:

Still none the wiser as to what our fellow was doing on top - my interpretation, souvenir hunting,  

It depends on how long after "Bluecoat" the series of photos were taken. If he was Jock who'd fought in the battle, he was probably suffering from haggis withdrawal symptoms, and was looking for some German sausage. Of course, he could have just been larking about and doing whatever the photographer asked.

17 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It depends on how long after "Bluecoat" the series of photos were taken. If he was Jock who'd fought in the battle, he was probably suffering from haggis withdrawal symptoms, and was looking for some German sausage. Of course, he could have just been larking about and doing whatever the photographer asked.

Undated sadly. Look like summer, look quite fresh, certainly a few of the other wrecks are contemporaneous (longest word of the day prize 🎖️ for me) with Bluecoat, some have been moved, one is for sure still a bit of nuisance to local road users. Hard to say if he's Jock, he's quite peely-wally, but then I think most folks of these islands were in them days. I'll go with your theory, it's certainly not the wurst I've heard. 

3 hours ago, Vacillator said:

It's the only joke so far today, but don't be deflated by that 😀.

It's no surprise that there haven't been any new CM related jokes today. We've all been too distracted by the ones that begin "Little Lizzie Trust Fund walks into a TV studio..."

Now when are we going to see the rest of those Jagdpanther photos mentioned the other day?

23 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Little Lizzie Trust Fund...

I did notice one joke in that, but not a CM one.  Asked about the reason for scrapping the 45% tax band, our leader replied "that was the Chancellor's idea".

I preferred Mark's sausage-related humour, but it has been keeping him busy when he should be posting photographs.

EDIT: I fear I'm straying off-topic again.  A holiday beckons, but oh how I need a holiday.

Edited by Vacillator

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Now when are we going to see the rest of those Jagdpanther photos mentioned the other day?

Still in Panzerwrecks volume what ever ... not sure I should reproduce them here, or do we think it's journalistic fair use ... I'll take a show of hands then do a Lizzie and blame it on my no.2. Who'd of thought it, swapping out one Lizzie for another in the space of just a few weeks ... can we have the old Lizzie back please ...

13 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Yes, it is. And Mr. Axeman agrees with me.

Okay that's a majority, and a scapegoat ...

Without further ado and to quench the thirst for knowledge that is so rampant on this forum ... wrecked JagdPanthers ...

EWFZNYr.jpg

vVXiFJE.jpg

0Ip2dLM.jpg

htlbt36.jpg

bmn18YE.jpg

FeOXCCv.jpg

Schurzen ... 

WpvI5ms.jpg

iZOAmTa.jpg

aO1nSGI.jpg

nQtl2SM.jpg

Looks like schurzen to me ...

oWKK6yb.jpg

0RPvhIO.jpg

fwDDq6Z.jpg

jbKL61I.jpg

Now pop over to PanzerWrecks and get yourself a treat (as penance of course).

16 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

wrecked JagdPanthers ...

While I don't really like to see wrecked examples of (surprisingly) one of my favourite tanks, those photos are excellent and the comments (whether accurate or not) are interesting.

I hadn't seen the 'bullet splash guard' before, how have I missed this?

I was also interested to see two sizes of muzzle brake.  I recall discussing this with @Sgt.Squarehead (who sadly has not been along here for a while 😬) after he'd kindly sent me (at his expense) a replacement 88mm gun barrel.  Thankfully only at 1/72nd scale 😆, it fitted through the letter-box, along with the spare T34/85 he'd included as Christmas was coming up. What a nice guy.  Anyway, mine had been battle-damaged in an encounter with a cat of another sort, my Burmese, whose teeth had won the day.  I noticed that the replacement seemed different and we concluded that it was proably just down to different tooling at the model companies.  Maybe not it seems.

So @Lucky_Strike - if you've reached this far and not fallen asleep, thanks for posting.  I'll chip in to the legal fund when the copyright police come knocking.