Complaint about Motars.

Mastiff

10 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

When I call for the on table mortars, and use up said mortars, I no longer have the ability to use the smoke rounds, because they used all the mortar ammo?

So if I use all the smoke rounds I no longer can use the HE rounds?

On or off map if you only call for smoke some HE rounds will still be available (if it had HE to begin with I think there is one UK on map mortar that only has smoke). 

What you describe sounds like how off map artillery/mortars work.  In my experience most on map mortars will have several smoke rounds left over after the HE is gone.  Below is a description of how off map mortars work and sounds like what you are describing.  Maybe some on map mortars work the same way?  As @chuckdyke said it would be useful to know the game and type of mortar unit you are referring to.   

Off map artillery/mortars: The way off map artillery rounds are counted, the top-line number (listed as HE) is really the *total* number of rounds available, and the next number (listed as Smoke) is the number *of those* that can be fired as Smoke. But anything you fire, whether HE or Smoke, counts against the top-line number of total rounds available. So if it lists 140 HE and 40 Smoke, that doesn't mean you have 180 total rounds--it means you can fire 140 total, and of that, up to 40 can be Smoke. 

On 1/16/2021 at 4:11 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

So if it lists 140 HE and 40 Smoke, that doesn't mean you have 180 total rounds--it means you can fire 140 total, and of that, up to 40 can be Smoke. 

And it is stupid. This is something you don't expect from a simulation type of game.

7 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

Black Sea, Raid on the Pump, mission canned. 

I wanted to use my smokes to cover my exit. but there was none after I had used all the mortars on the trench.

The two 60mm mortars in this scenario are "Off Map" so the below would apply: 

Off map artillery/mortars: The way off map artillery rounds are counted, the top-line number (listed as HE) is really the *total* number of rounds available, and the next number (listed as Smoke) is the number *of those* that can be fired as Smoke. But anything you fire, whether HE or Smoke, counts against the top-line number of total rounds available. So if it lists 140 HE and 40 Smoke, that doesn't mean you have 180 total rounds--it means you can fire 140 total, and of that, up to 40 can be Smoke. 

I also noticed that under conditions the wind is "Heavy".  In my experience smoke is not useful in heavy wind anyways (don't know if that makes you feel any better about it or not :D).   I generally don't rely on smoke screens in wind conditions greater than medium.  Often medium wind can be problematic.   

For others who might be interested this scenario was created by @Philipp and is available at the scenario depot.  Link below. 

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-black-sea/cm-black-sea-add-ons/raid-on-the-pump/

11 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The two 60mm mortars in this scenario are "Off Map" so the below would apply: 

Off map artillery/mortars: The way off map artillery rounds are counted, the top-line number (listed as HE) is really the *total* number of rounds available, and the next number (listed as Smoke) is the number *of those* that can be fired as Smoke. But anything you fire, whether HE or Smoke, counts against the top-line number of total rounds available. So if it lists 140 HE and 40 Smoke, that doesn't mean you have 180 total rounds--it means you can fire 140 total, and of that, up to 40 can be Smoke. 

I also noticed that under conditions the wind is "Heavy".  In my experience smoke is not useful in heavy wind anyways (don't know if that makes you feel any better about it or not :D).   I generally don't rely on smoke screens in wind conditions greater than medium.  Often medium wind can be problematic.   

For others who might be interested this scenario was created by @Philipp and is available at the scenario depot.  Link below. 

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-black-sea/cm-black-sea-add-ons/raid-on-the-pump/

Ok understand, 

I really enjoyed this raid mission, took me a good 3 times to get a decent result, or exceptable loses.

I played on Warrior, setting.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff