Tanks as HE cover?

I always wonder if splinters work like bullets or if it is the result of a calculation
    however I saw a short time ago a (complete) squad placed on either side of a sherman and a shell hit the ground to the left of the armored vehicle and only the soldiers on the left were hit
if it is a calculation it applies pperhaps only  be to the subgroup !

13 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Do tanks have a blocking/protection effect for infantry on HE blasts from arty or other weapons? like they do for mg fire?

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Its odd that we don't have an immediate answer for you. I didn't think there were any outstanding question remaining!

"In fact, infantry also receives a blast protection bonus when an armored vehicle (live or knocked out) is between them and a very large explosion."

Manual page 49.

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

Ok...  great!  Next question is do they get the bonus from aerial HE explosions if they are underneath the vehicle?   :ph34r:

And then next question will be if they get protection from explosions under the vehicle if they are sitting on top of it...

I think the answer is yes in both cases, as the engine probably just draws a line between explosion and troops in the vicinity, and then checks if the tank (or other things) block this line.