AP rounds vs Infantry

A well-spread squad were closing on an enemy tank. (The old multiple target strategy)

One of my tanks fired at the enemy tank; the shot fell short; the squad took 4 casualties.

I'm lucky to get that with a direct HE hit.

And the indignity of it being friendly fire.

Have AP rounds got more powerful while I've been away?

7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

This is actually a real issue that has been tested and posted about before. Some AP rounds seem to be much more powerful against infantry than they should be.

Interesting.

First time I'd seen it and it was a 75mm from a Panther.

The four guys who were got were really quite a distance from where the shell struck. (10-30m?)

What is particularly galling is that the same Panther had been engaging enemy infantry with HE minutes before and getting one or two casualties at most (often none) with each shot. The AP turned out to be deadlier.

Makes me think I don't need to ration the HE quite so much. I'd only ever Target Light if I was out of HE in the past.

2 minutes ago, John1966 said:

the same Panther had been engaging enemy infantry with HE minutes before and getting one or two casualties at most (often none) with each shot. The AP turned out to be deadlier.

Yes, I'm wondering if they made a mistake and switched around the blast values for some of the guns, so that the AP works like the HE and vice versa.

6 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, I'm wondering if they made a mistake and switched around the blast values for some of the guns, so that the AP works like the HE and vice versa.

That would be, shall we say, a "howler"?

I've been away from CM for a while, is this new? (Because I don't remember it before)

While we're on the subject, have ATGs got harder to take out with HE or is it just harder to tell if you've KO'd it or not?

Some seem to be bomb proof (along with their crews) but I always get them in the end. However, I often find when reviewing the map at game end that it wasn't the unit that I thought that had actually got them.

Two in the last scenario got pasted but weren't knocked out until I got infantry close and used grenades. But on reviewing the map, it turned out it was a tank who'd got one of them.

There's no indication of what theater and what gun was involved. Some AP rounds include a burster charge, just enough to break up the round which makes them lethal to anyone close by. If I wasn't lazy I'd look up which rounds would apply. I've been playing more than usual lately (testing and stuff) and my examples of 'death by AP' usually involves the round taking the soldier's head clean off (judging by the intersecting trajectory of the tracer).

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

There's no indication of what theater and what gun was involved. Some AP rounds include a burster charge, just enough to break up the round which makes them lethal to anyone close by. If I wasn't lazy I'd look up which rounds would apply. I've been playing more than usual lately (testing and stuff) and my examples of 'death by AP' usually involves the round taking the soldier's head clean off (judging by the intersecting trajectory of the tracer).

Maybe you or some other guy affiliated with BFC should actually take a look at the original bug report?

It was made by the top guy on the FGM ladder ranking, and tested by one of the most thorough testers, so I think they have a clue what they are talking about.

Yet the only response from BFC or beta testers has basically been the sound of crickets.

It's like you guys have completely lost any ambition to fix and improve these games.

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Maybe you or some other guy affiliated with BFC should actually take a look at the original bug report?

It was made by the top guy on the FGM ladder ranking, and tested by one of the most thorough testers, so I think they have a clue what they are talking about.

Yet the only response from BFC or beta testers has basically been the sound of crickets.

It's like you guys have completely lost any ambition to fix and improve these games.

maybe you should actually read your own "bug" report?

As AKD pointed out in that thread, the reason why German and U.S. AP rounds are deadly is because they are APHE while the british rounds are solid shot.

If you guys want to speculate all day about random anecdotes, that is your prerogative, but if you want us to act on "bugs", you have to be able to show an actual "bug".

1 minute ago, Sgt Joch said:

maybe you should actually read your own "bug" report?

It's not my bug report. I just think it deserves to be looked at in a proper way instead of handwaving it away with "APHE". Sure, we know what APHE is. It's not more deadly than HE from the same gun. If it were, there would be no reason to have a HE round in the first place.

Now that it has been raised, I will keep an eye out to see if anything is out of the ordinary. There are lots of little things in the game that could be tweaked, but like everything else in life, there is never enough time.

Everyone here cares about the game and wants to make it as realistic as possible.

Edited by Sgt Joch