Christmas Soccer Match in No-Mans Land

Ok, I need your help here. 2 Combined Arms forces have temporarily laid down their weapons, sung the obligatory "Silent Night" and are now deciding the war with a soccer game.

I only have the first 5 minutes of action to report, maybe you could help me out as the game progresses? :

"As the kick-off whistle sounds, the American Para`s try a "Run" order to the left flank, the `zook crew lags badly, soon becoming weary and loses the ball to a German Wehrmacht infantryman in ambush position. He runs it forward - lobbing the ball like a grenade to a nearby HQ who demanded it was their go. The HQ (using +2 Stealth) manage to temporarily hide the ball under their combat jackets and "sneak" into the American half of the field....

...to be continued

Guest Rex_Bellator

Peeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!! You picked up the ball to 'lob' it, FREE KICK. Probable Yellow Card as well.

If you're playing soccer, why do you have Americans involved? Last time I saw the World Cup they were beaten 12,943 to Nil by the Inner Patagonia Reserve B team. biggrin.gif

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!! You picked up the ball to 'lob' it, FREE KICK. Probable Yellow Card as well.

If you're playing soccer, why do you have Americans involved? Last time I saw the World Cup they were beaten 12,943 to Nil by the Inner Patagonia Reserve B team. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrm, at least Americans can coach their own national team biggrin.gif

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesreidau:

What the hell am I thinking posting this???

Me? Addicted you say? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems perfectly normal to me..other than the fact that your crack sweeper seems to be a bit out of position and your goalkeeper is a bit preoccupied with setting up that ambush.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that remark is in jest but being a soccer, uh, football fan, I can't help but reply biggrin.gif

02/06/1999

USA 3

Germany 0

07/30/1999

USA 2

Germany 0

02/10/1998

USA 1

Brasil 0

OT rant...beware....

American's suck at "soccer"....You want to know why? There will always be Italian Serie A & Die Bundaslega futbal action to watch.

The American hero Lalas, went to Italy, and you know what he did there? Got fired, because he sucked so bad.

And for those FA Premier league chumps...Here's a riddle for you?

What do a tea-bag and the English National Team have in common?

Neither one of them stays in the cup for too long!

So to all you weak fans out there....Watch some real football on Sundays at your local Italian Coffee Bar...

hehehehe

kmeds

Hey!

I faithfully follow the US National Team! And we resemble all remarks posted in this thread......

Uh, wait! No, the US National Team will go to the final, uhhhhhhh, the final 64 in 2002!

No, wait! The final 16. No, wait. Uhh....

Hell, the US National Team is lucky to tie up its shoes before World Cup Matches-- much less score a goal! But, I'll watch every game of qualifying next year.

Stoner

First of all, Lalas is hardly the "hero" of American Soccer. The media has had him in the spotlight because he's got a marketable image and the fact that the Italians hired him proves that they fell for the "image" and not the "player".

"Two World Wars and One World Cup, Do Da Do Da."

You've got to be kidding! The only reason England was on the winning side of those wars is because of help from other countries like France, the U.S., and the others that are too many to name. So claiming it as your own victory is outright ridiculous.

Oh, and when was the World Cup victory? 1491? biggrin.gif

I'm sorry about the previous post...

I really love Italian Football...

Regarding the US team....I think in about 10 years they will be on par with one of the Nordic teams, but I think a lot has to be done. After all, it's tough to keep good players in the US when the salaries for good players are so much better in the EU. I also feel that if the EU teams have the choice, they certainly aren't going to risk one of their non-EU spots for some poor American slob, unless he can prove himself.

Bottom Line: America...Developing Country...

Also....What did this thread start off regarding anyway?

I have a family member who looks EXACTLY like Lalas. Scary!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Two World Wars and One World Cup, Do Da Do Da."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just a nasty taunt against German supporters, I wouldn't take it too literally. The fans who sing those kinds of songs probably don't have the intelligence to know what century WW2 was actually in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by medlinke:

Bottom Line: America...Developing Country...

Also....What did this thread start off regarding anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. The U.S. is still developing soccer. That's no surprise considering there's a lot of our own sports to distract us (football, baseball, and basketball). But you have to admidt that the U.S. has made great strides in the past 15 years. Wins against national powerhouse teams such as Brazil and Germany proves that.

I think the title of the thread is referring to the soccer match that was played one Christmas day during WWI. The English and the Germans both put down their guns for a few hours and played a soccer match in the middle of no man's land.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Regarding the US team....I think in about 10 years they will be on par with one of the Nordic teams, but I think a lot has to be done. After all, it's tough to keep good players in the US when the salaries for good players are so much better in the EU. I also feel that if the EU teams have the choice, they certainly aren't going to risk one of their non-EU spots for some poor American slob, unless he can prove himself.

Bottom Line: America...Developing Country...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be good for soccer (or football whatever) as a whole if the USA team started winning and progressing. Nike etc are already heavily into the European game.

Can't wait for 2002!! I take Brazil to win, or possibly the Germans.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Regarding the US team....I think in about 10 years they will be on par with one of the Nordic teams, but I think a lot has to be done. After all, it's tough to keep good players in the US when the salaries for good players are so much better in the EU. I also feel that if the EU teams have the choice, they certainly aren't going to risk one of their non-EU spots for some poor American slob, unless he can prove himself.

It would be good for soccer (or football whatever) as a whole if the USA team started winning and progressing. Nike etc are already heavily into the European game.

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

That's just a nasty taunt against German supporters, I wouldn't take it too literally. The fans who sing those kinds of songs probably don't have the intelligence to know what century WW2 was actually in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

17th Century right? biggrin.gif

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

Can't wait for 2002!! I take Brazil to win, or possibly the Germans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to see how good Brazil will do in 2002, look no further than AS Roma...They have 3 or 4 prominent Brazilians on their team:

Cafu, Zago, and Aldair

However, these guys don't play together! Look at how their national team is cannibalised amongst the countries around the world. Most of their team doesn't even play in Brazil!

I pick Italy...obviously, because they have a lot of home talent, and while they barely win the games they win, the power players on the team, play in Italy and against Italians so they get to see what their teammates do well on a regular basis.

For instance, in the game I watched today...Lazio v. Roma (my 2 favorite clubs in the world) Totti & Negro(?) are both from Rome, and both have played with their respective clubs since they began playing in the Serie A.

Guest MantaRay

Didn't they do a movie on this? "VICTORY" with Stallone and Michael Caine? God that was a stupid movie.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Sheer brilliance, Wesreidau!! That's the way to get your topic hopping, by incorporating football into your post on such an international forum. Wish I had thought of it! smile.gif

Seriously though, I'd like to ask all the Dutch fans out there how they feel about losing a place in the finals of the two biggest tournaments in the world on botched penalty kicks. How many hours per day should they practice this before WC 2002?

Hehe, bring back the Clockwork Orange, I say! Then they won't need to go to penalties.

To educate you people in soccer, Argentina is over Brazil in the eliminatory league for 2002.

The best striker on the world, playing in Italy, is Argentine: Batistuta.

Our team is considered the best national team of the world at this moment, in all the countries, but Argentina (we are such derrotist wink.gif)

We have the same troubles as Brazil in keeping our players together, as most of them are playing in Europe, but we have a very obsessive coach who knows what he wants...

You know, a lot of these people with Italian last names in the Italy League (the ones who plays better) are Argentines smile.gif

Ariel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argie:

To educate you people in soccer, Argentina is over Brazil in the eliminatory league for 2002.

The best striker on the world, playing in Italy, is Argentine: Batistuta.

Our team is considered the best national team of the world at this moment, in all the countries, but Argentina (we are such derrotist wink.gif)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I forgot to post this score. Thanks for reminding me wink.gif

06/13/1999

USA 1 Argentina 0