75mm Morphed in 150mm

Ok, playing a QB against opponent who has a Panther. I had Troops (couple Inf Squads, Weapons Squad) running away in the woods about 40 meters from that panther, and in mid-turn it fired an HE Shell and caused 9x Casualties and couple yellow

With the Woods as cover, Inf Spacing, and Inf supposed to be trying to avoid HE fire in v4 I was surprised that a 75mm HE would take out so many guys. I was only expecting to loose maybe 2-3 guys at most (in the direct Action-Spot where the shell landed)...Not sure if it's an issue with v4 or what, but this seems way off, and had same issue with another post regarding '50mm AT Morphed into 150mm'. 

I have a saved file if anyone cares to look at it. 

Edited by JoMc67

@JoMc67 There's a significant amount of randomess in CMx2 explosions, as should be in my opinion. 

Just yesterday, I had a T-34's 76mm HE strike a low wall behind which an AT gun was located, no casualties!

A few days ago, I had a Sherman's 75mm HE hit the middle of a street and 3 ground-level occupants of a building perpendicular to the shell were killed!

Count your blessings and try to guard yourself against bad luck. The best defense infantry has against tank shells is to get out of sight.

10 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

...running away in the woods about 40 meters from that panther, and in mid-turn it fired an HE Shell and caused 9x Casualties and couple yellow

If they were running and therefore erect on their feet, that does not sound implausible to me, if a little on the extreme side of plausible.

Michael

Lethal radius for a 75mm HE against standing troops is somewhere around 40 - 50m (in CM terms that's 5-6 tiles from the point of impact). Cas beyond that are still highly likely, but tail off with increasing distance.

For comparison, a 40mm grenade (from e.g. an M203) had a lethal radius off 5m (ie more than just the CM tile it lands in), and for 105mm HE it's 75m.

(The radius doesn't increase linearly with calibre. The reason why is left as an exercise for the reader)

Edited by JonS

Just to close the loop I had a look at the turn and its brutal. No wonder @JoMc67 is upset :angry:. But I would not characterize it the way he did. There are 15 men spread out over little over three action squares when the shell hits in the middle. They are all up and running. Nine go down. Yeah it sucks - as in it sucks to be them! If those men were stationary in position the casulties would have been much less. It is probably on the high end of what I would expect but I would personally have been pissed too but not at the game - at my opponent :D

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Just to close the loop I had a look at the turn and its brutal. No wonder @JoMc67 is upset :angry:. But I would not characterize it the way he did. There are 15 men spread out over little over three action squares when the shell hits in the middle. They are all up and running. Nine go down.

I agree. Sounds good to me.

I've seen an exploding shell take out a single unlucky guy standing a considerable distance from the source but leave others closer to the blast unscathed. I don't know how they calculate casualties for HE explosions, whether its all abstracted or if there's something else going on. You would imagine a purely abstracted casualty pattern wouldn't whack one guy on the far side of a field.

Edited by MikeyD

So, cool when that happens. I hate it but cool.

Sometimes a shell will go off right next to someone and they magically walk away. For some reason it seems to be my guys that get the 9 dead at once treatment and my opponent's get the he survived a shell going off close treatment. But it could just be me :)

1 hour ago, IanL said:

So, cool when that happens. I hate it but cool.

Sometimes a shell will go off right next to someone and they magically walk away.

I don't think that is so cool really. I believe the chances of magically walking away from a shell that explodes right next to you should be pretty much zero if you're standing up, and really small if you're lying down.

However, I do think it's very cool that the game models some shells being duds or sometimes failing to explode when falling into wet ground.