Damage Bug

I have noticed this as well, but I think it is a limitation of the UI. The engine of this tank can still be damaged/destroyed just because you cannot see it listed in the UI. If it were to be damaged/destroyed, then text would appear for it. This minor issue is more prevalent in the modern games, where single vehicles have a lot more sub systems to them. Not all of them are readily listed in the UI, but they are still modeled and can be damaged/destroyed. When they are, they are then listed in the UI damage table. 

8 minutes ago, sburke said:

just a thought - are there more than 9 items that can be listed and therefore overrun the UI?  I have never really paid attention for anything other than what is actually damaged.

Precisely this. The Sherman has a lot of subsystems, and you can see this in the modern titles especially. UI will do a triage and bump up the most damaged UI to the top of the list. Which makes perfect sense.

Edited by Rinaldi

12 hours ago, sburke said:

just a thought - are there more than 9 items that can be listed and therefore overrun the UI?

Yep. I began noticing this a couple of years ago. At first it puzzled and confused me until I figured it out. What I saw was items appearing then disappearing off the list. IIRC they would disappear off the list when some item that was not previously on the list was damaged and needed to be included. The inclusion of a scroll bar would be nice, but I'm not sure how much work it would take.

Michael

That would be one small scroll bar. The way it is now is a very slight pain. My vote would be use the time to do something else more important. Like create a throw grenades command. :D

(That's a joke - I'm not being serious - look at my sig for what I would really like to see the time used for)

Edited by IanL

AFAIK, the chance that you can have a vehicle that is still operational, yet has so many destroyed sub-systems that some are getting bumped off the page is pretty slim.  If it not's destroyed, does it really matter if you can't see it?  Surely we don't need to be reassured that a tank has an engine in it if it does not show on the list?

Edited by akd

That might be more likely to not be an issue in WW2, but in modern AFVs, there are lots of subsystems.  This was requested by users many times in the CMSF days.  In modern CM games, it is sometimes important to see what capabilities your AFV has, like thermal sights.  If your AFV, like a BMP-3, has multiple weapon systems, you'll likely not be able see more than just a few subsystems. There is no way to tell if something drops below the 9 item line.

Edited by Thewood1

7 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

But there are times you need to know some of the capabilities below the line.  How do you do that?

Each game comes with a manual specific to the units/forces the game covers. Its basically an encyclopedia that covers everything in the game. So if you want to know about the weapons/capabilities/munitions/etc of a unit, just pull up the manual and search for it. 

Yes, it would be nice to scroll the systems list. But, as IanL pointed out, damaged systems percolate to the top. Nine destroyed or degraded systems tell me that the tank is less of a combat vehicle and more of a battered pile of metal.

If there are MORE than nine degraded systems, then I have options to find out the information. Mobility is shown by the color of the base: yellow, and whether it is tracks, transmission, or engine, the tank is immobile. If I don't have both  Target and Target Light order buttons, then I've lost my Main Gun (If I just have Target.) If I have neither...I have none. Radios and networked comms can be shown by the command UI. Smoke? Well, I've got to look inside the individual launch canisters and see how many are there.

Now, that leaves some items I don't know about. However, let's think about this: if I have NINE busted systems and I can tell if the guns work or whether the tank is mobile and whether or not comms work, what really is the point? (Yes, I'd also like to know, but "like" is not the same as "need".) The tank, at that point, is either about to be destroyed (if the same enemy units which created that damage still have it in LOS), or it is not a factor for the rest of the battle. (It is hors de combat if it has 9 damaged systems.) My best bet would be to move it back to friendly lines and either get/keep the points for it, or hope I can repair it in a campaign. The LAST thing I would do is try to move it into another firefight. Hell, I'd rather dismount the crew and have them use their sidearms at that point.

OK, so take a look at the manual for Black Sea.  Does the Tunguska as represented in game have thermals, Night Vision, APS, etc.?  It is an extreme example, but similar, to a lesser extent, to some BMPs, Bradleys, T-90s, etc.

Again, not that much of an issue in WW2 games, but all the way back to CMSF, it was  a guessing game at times on things like night vision or Thermals until you became more familiar with them.

Edited by Thewood1

2 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

Ahhh...isn't that what my comment you quoted said?

One might have guessed as much, which is why I asked what I did in the way that I did. What wasn't clear to me was why you felt you needed to know that stuff. If it wasn't in the visible part of the list, then you might assume that whatever it is, it is working fine and you don't need to concern yourself about it.

Michael

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

" But there are times you need to know some of the capabilities below the line.  How do you do that? "

Really, that line isn't clear that I wanted to know capabilities listed below the line?

So know that you guys have noodled that out, how do I do it?

14 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Each game comes with a manual specific to the units/forces the game covers. Its basically an encyclopedia that covers everything in the game. So if you want to know about the weapons/capabilities/munitions/etc of a unit, just pull up the manual and search for it. 

There's your answer.

Michael