The Stryker with a 30mm Autocannon?

Haveatya

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/4/2016 at 7:10 PM, c3k said:

Stryker 30mm cannon, using above specs, brings over 200,000 Joules on impact. (Muzzle velocity.) The Apache cannon brings 75,000J. Obviously, these are NOT kinetic penetrators. They have very different roles. Just bringing this up to show the different order of magnitude of the energies these two weapons bring.

Additionally, the Apache is an area weapon. It disperses a lot. The Stryker cannon is much more accurate...from my understanding.

I can see the Brad cannon being upgraded sooner than later. The 25mm was nice...in 1980. (Again...conjecture.)

(My comment upstream about all Strykers being upgraded was pure conjecture.)

I'm less certain about a Bradley gun upgrade given the existing size of the turret.  It started off a little cramped, but with the CITV, BFT, body armor worn by the crew I don't think it could fit a larger gun.  If they went for a straight up new turret that might make some more sense though.  

47 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Unfortunately, jokes in English often don't work here as many don't have English as a first language.  Can you explain the joke?

Joke was that if the dude was talking about commonality among the branches for the 30mm already; then does that mean it's going to have the A-10s or Apache's cannon but nevermind that obviously didn't work out the way I thought it would. 

15 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Excuse the terrible quality, It's only a quick mockup.

Interesting conception, except that the vehicle would need to be about twice as big in order to house both the weapon and its ammo and the crew. I was thinking of it as part of a fixed defensive fortification where size wouldn't matter.

Michael

17 hours ago, VladimirTarasov said:

Joke was that if the dude was talking about commonality among the branches for the 30mm already; then does that mean it's going to have the A-10s or Apache's cannon but nevermind that obviously didn't work out the way I thought it would. 

Yes, asking for an explanation was my joke.  Didn't translate well.  ^_^

6 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Interesting conception, except that the vehicle would need to be about twice as big in order to house both the weapon and its ammo and the crew. I was thinking of it as part of a fixed defensive fortification where size wouldn't matter.

Michael

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Clearly another billion dollar DoD development project.  :)

AT-AT's man - that's where the future ( and the development budget ) is going ! :lol:

7 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Michael

Believe it or not, it can fit 3 crew plus the weapon in an automated turret.  It's a pretty big boy.

wcUdYeJ.png

I don't know why I spent so much time on this haha.  At least the tank chassis I already had from a CAD exercise! :P 

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

Nice drawing. But I don't see any provision for the gun to elevate or depress. That's kind of important. And allowing for that would probably add 2-3 feet to the height of the vehicle.

Michael

What? The turret just spins in a circle, firing continuously.  Everything within 1km dies.

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

Clearly another billion dollar DoD development project.  :)

Ah hell why not, call up Lockheed Martin and tell em the budget cap is 1 trillion. 15 years later and 4 trillion over budget we'll have a real monster for the world to contend with!

7 hours ago, c3k said:

Oooh.... GAU-8's in fixed fortifications? Like a MaGAUnot Line? ;)

Exactly what I thought of when I read the words fixed fortification. What's that Patton quote again? Had a good laugh at the play on words :lol:

Edited by IICptMillerII