Wonderful new feature - or my embarrassment?

So, after playing CMFI for some time by now, I switched back to CMFB and upgraded to v1.02. I set up a tiny QB with a 30 minute time limit. Come the 29th minute, I'm in control of both objectives on the map, though the AI (with a 70% point bonus and its force picked by me) is making a big push for the minor objective. No worries - 60 more seconds, and I'll have my total victory.

EXCEPT - the game did not end after 60 seconds!

The timer turned red, and I had to go on for two more minutes before I claimed my total victory - I didn't know how long I would have to go on before the game ended. I did have two MMGs working full-time during those two minutes, and may have broken the AI's back - or it may have been random timing.

This is the first time I'm encountering such a feature after hundreds of hours spent playing QBs in CMFB, CMFI, CMBS, CMRT, and CMA. Did I somehow manage to avoid triggering it all that time, or is it a new feature?

I've been hopping from title-to-title playing QBs recently and now that you mention it gameplay has most times far exceeded the stated times, to the point where I hit cease fire to end a couple battles. I just gave the CMFI QB maps a quick look-see and the maps I checked weren't set up for 'variable time' (though I think QB ignores built-in map parameters). I believe (I'm not entirely sure) if the AI doesn't see the victory as decisive within certain parameters it'll tack on extra time. In the old days people would always complain about the battle abruptly ending just as things got good.

The issue is that one likes to have the satisfaction of finishing a complex assault mission that took a long time to set up... and abruptly the mission ends.  Even when it's a victory that can be frustrating as it's good to be able to see how one's plans work out as a way to train and get experience. 

Not having enuff time to complete a mission without rushing and taking high casualties is a related but different issue. 

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

The issue is that one likes to have the satisfaction of finishing a complex assault mission that took a long time to set up... and abruptly the mission ends.  Even when it's a victory that can be frustrating as it's good to be able to see how one's plans work out as a way to train and get experience. 

Not having enuff time to complete a mission without rushing and taking high casualties is a related but different issue. 

Some games—I believe Civ is one—permit the player to extend play beyond the official time limit. I wonder if there is some compelling reason why CM cannot be coded to do the same.

Michael

It's understandable that the AI may be designed for a certain length, and therefore the scenario "breaks down" over a certain time limit.

However, the main rationale for a way to extend a scenario is that there may be an interesting engagement going on in a small part of the battlefield that you want to see to its conclusion.  Good for training and for experience.  It doesn't matter that the AI plan breaks down.  That's not the point.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's understandable that the AI may be designed for a certain length, and therefore the scenario "breaks down" over a certain time limit.

In my view, this is not important. I have played many enjoyable scenarios without any AI plan at all. As a designer, just placing the enemy forces in good locations provides plenty of challenge for most players.

I did not play that many QBs, but I know this "feature" from many fixed scenarios. And I like it. It's just to add some "Fog of War", to render the famous "last turn rush" ineffective. With an open end, one can't just rush in and gain the VP's in the last minute. Instead, you have to be prepared for the unexpected extra minute,

I experience that in a current PBEM match: Thought I lost in minute 19, thought I won in minute 1 and now I am desprately gnawing my lips in minute -3.... What more gaming excitement do you expect?