Are veteran units too cheap?

7 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

But when things got too hot out there, I started doing suppressive fire to cover the screening troops while they ran back across a field to safety. I actually managed to get them all back to friendly lines alive and well, and this stuff is so much more fun to me than just winning the game :)

+1 and nicely done - I am not usually that successful

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, IanL said:

+1 and nicely done - I am not usually that successful

Thanks - I was very happy to see my guys get out of there, especially when the 81mm mortars started to come down on where they had been just 60 seconds before :)

I think my opponent hadn't spotted my teams running away, or he would likely have stopped his mortars firing. Suppression not only prevents enemy fire, but also observation ...

*Side-Note*

I remember back in my Hobby Shop days, a group played Warhammer Minis, then later the WWII equivalent Flames of War...When troops got hit they received a Savings Roll; Vets got a 1-4 to survive, Reg 1-3, Green 1-2 (let alone any Cover modifiers). 

If BF has anything similar to the way Troop Quality is handled, then Vets will generally loose half as much compared to Green in a even Match/Setup, and thus should cost much more.

Edited by JoMc67

7 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I do. Not the whole force, just a few units here and there. Why? Because they are cheap  :lol:

Actually, I take that back. It's been a few years but I have in fact chosen a mostly Green force in several QBs (PBEM). I did it because I was on the defense and needed more troops to cover the ground.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

One way this could be done would be to increase the points for going up levels exponentially.

I would have to go back and look at my old tests, but IIRC the performance increases are linear not exponential.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

11 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I would have to go back and look at my old tests, but IIRC the performance increases are linear not exponential.

If the performance increase is linear, might the actual benefit the player receives still be exponential? Not a trick question, I'm just wondering about this.

There's a lot of difference between a near miss and hitting the target, even if one might say the guy hitting what he shoots at is "only" slightly more accuracte than the guy who misses..

8 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

bullets/arty kill veterans just as easily as conscripts. 

No No...and I really hope that's not the case, Weapon2010...

I believe BF mentioned each Class of Troops has it's own 'Chance of Hit', 'Savings Die-Roll and 'Casualty Recovery'...Vet's Overall should have a better chance of Survivability, then Lower Class Troops.

Edited by JoMc67

If the performance increase is linear, might the actual benefit the player receives still be exponential? Not a trick question, I'm just wondering about this.

There's a lot of difference between a near miss and hitting the target, even if one might say the guy hitting what he shoots at is "only" slightly more accuracte than the guy who misses..

In your cowboy scenario, yes, but I suspect not in typical gameplay. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, JoMc67 said:

I believe BF mentioned each Class of Troops has it's own 'Chance of Hit', 'Savings Die-Roll and 'Casualty Recovery'...Vet's Overall should have a better chance of Survivability, then Lower Class Troops.

I have done some limited testing that strongly suggests Elite troops are no more bullet resistant than Regulars in CM.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

I often wondered if better quality troops are better at ducking down before getting hit by an artillery barrage though?

I would hope so, and think Better Quality Troops would understand Battlefield Combat Awareness better then Lower Quality...Better at Ducking when under Small Arms or HE Fire, etc, etc.

If this is not applied in some form, as Vanir is suggesting, then BF might be missing some sort of Layer in all their Calculations. 

Edited by JoMc67

I don't know if this is applied, or not (I imagine it is to some degree), but BF might be missing some sort of Layer in all their Calculations.

Example; One Layer of Calculations is for Fire against Troops in their current Stance, and another added Layer for said Troops who are showing situational awareness within their current Stance (Ducking, Dodging, etc). So, if a Bullet or HE Frag Trajectory intersects with a Vet Trooper in Standing pose, then he may get a Better Savings-Roll (chance of survival) compared to a Green Trooper in same Standing pose.

*Overview*...I mean, after all, there is a reason why a Vet Trooper has survived the War up to this point. 

Edited by JoMc67

Well I can only speculate, but I've noticed that troops will call out artillery and duck down before the first shell lands.

Prone units are much better at surviving artillery generally, so just being faster to go to ground would protect veterans, even if no special veteran saving rolls were applied.

I don't know if veterans get special bullet-dodging powers in the game, but if they do, the effect must be quite subtle. I can't say I have noticed it.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Prone units are much better at surviving artillery generally, so just being faster to go to ground would protect veterans,

^^^ This.  Also better lead more experienced troops will stay down and not get up an try to run away - which is deadly when under a barrage.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

More importantly surely is that the higher experience troops will aim better and obtain more hits.

^^^ This too.

5 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

*Overview*...I mean, after all, there is a reason why a Vet Trooper has survived the War up to this point. 

Well, if we are talking about the real war, a lot of it is due to chance. The advantage of being a vet would be a greater familiarity with the odds and greater shrewdness in playing them. But even with that going for a vet trooper, s**t still happens and vets became casualties too. And I expect that a lot of soldiers who might have made great vets, got plugged their first day in the line, before they had time to learn the ropes.

Michael

13 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

• 3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:
    13 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I have done some limited testing that strongly suggests Elite troops are no more bullet resistant than Regulars in CM.

14 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

what I meant by that if a mortar round or mg burst lands within lethal range  "Class of Troops" has nothing to do how many casualties will occur, only which  direction the shrapnel is heading and it will kill both equally, now I often buy veteran troops for they are much easier to command and don't break from orders, but they die just as easily if foolishly used

On 10/11/2016 at 7:49 PM, IanL said:
On 10/11/2016 at 4:23 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Prone units are much better at surviving artillery generally, so just being faster to go to ground would protect veterans,

^^^ This.  Also better lead more experienced troops will stay down and not get up an try to run away - which is deadly when under a barrage.

Ok, I take that back. Units won't actually go to ground when artillery is incoming. They will just shout "get down!" but stay up. I could have sworn I once saw units dive for cover when they heard artillery - before the rounds actually landed.

I could have sworn I once saw units dive for cover when they heard artillery - before the rounds actually landed.

Hmmm. Could this be a case of remembering what you expected to see? The behavior you describe is realistic enough and what one might expect even if not all members of a team/squad manage to get completely prone before the shell arrives.

Michael