Hunt vs. slow commands for the vehicles

Ivanov

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if I'm the only player who could use Hunt Reverse command?  It would work just like reverse, but if enemy appears then my unit would stop and fire its weapons instead of reversing further.

Sometimes there are cases when I reverse from cover towards a  better firing position.But if enemy spots me I'd like to fire immediately because 1) my firing is more accurate 2) reversing further might bring my unit to view of even more enemy units.

On September 3, 2016 at 1:51 PM, VladimirTarasov said:

I understand the tree part, some map had the heavy forest tile when there were no trees and it ended total defeat. So I was wondering what it was for. 

It is up to designers to appropriately combine tree density and the heavy forest tile to achieve logical effects.  However, you should also consider that heavy forest additionally represents dense undergrowth, fallen trees and broken terrain that might be found in primary forests even without extreme tree density.  I have at times also used hvy Forest tile to represent vehicle impassable terrain that is not in the game, e.g. a steep-sided ditches.

1 hour ago, akd said:

It is up to designers to appropriately combine tree density and the heavy forest tile to achieve logical effects.  However, you should also consider that heavy forest additionally represents dense undergrowth, fallen trees and broken terrain that might be found in primary forests even without extreme tree density.  I have at times also used hvy Forest tile to represent vehicle impassable terrain that is not in the game, e.g. a steep-sided ditches.

Understood, my bad for the misunderstanding.

• 4 weeks later...

In many instances I pefer slow instead of hunt.

For example if I feel I have superiority of fire or simply dominate an area and intend to advance one or two tanks, I go for slow which ensures that my tank will engage enemies but will not stop its advance as is the case with hunt.

I also feel that the hunt speed is sometimes too quick for good spotting and a tank on slow spots better. But this last point may be just impressionistic. 

Perhaps we need a SLOW HUNT type of command?  In all the newsreels on the current conflicts in the ME, vehicles entering a combat are all seem to move slow (exception are patrols down major roads where they move FAST).   The advancing vehicles immediately stop when fired upon and bring on airpower or arty. 

On 24/10/2016 at 8:54 AM, Euri said:

I also feel that the hunt speed is sometimes too quick for good spotting and a tank on slow spots better. But this last point may be just impressionistic. 

You are not alone. 

I find this also.  Seems a little daft that hunt gives less time to spot than slow. 

3 hours ago, kinophile said:

You are not alone. 

I find this also.  Seems a little daft that hunt gives less time to spot than slow. 

Aye. I've been using slow as my preferred "move to contact" speed for AFVs since BN came out. I use Hunt a little more now, depending on the situation, but when the woods are full of bad guys with killing potential and I don't have any spots on them, I choose caution over boldness.

Michael

Judicious use of 5 second pauses and short hunt movement lengths may help. Instead of one 100 meter hunt, make it five 20 meter moves with 5 or 10 second pauses at each waypoint. Stagger the orders for a platoon so that only one vehicle is moving while the others are stopped.

Moving SLOW for vehicles and being careful with infantry (alternating QUICK etc.) is the most satisfying.  However, many times the time limit of a scenario forces one to move at a "dangerous" speed - faster than what I see from modern docs on recent or current war ops.