Panther Barrel Damage

What's the best tactic it determining whether a panther has lots it's main gun? Popping out vehicles to check if it fires if almost a sure loss of friendly armor, in the case it is not out. There is a high risk of it losing it's main gun if friendlies have been shooting at it with medium or small barreled tanks. It is because the surrounding armor is so thick it will be likely the first thing to go or jam. If troops watch a vehicle long enough does enemy damage information get collected  and become available to the opposing side? Just lost a battle because I feared the three panther tanks still had operational barrels when in fact they were all down and tanks were sitting duck. I couldn't advance to the capture area for that fear alone. But If there was a way to determine they were out of service i could have advanced and won.

example -

tank commander are able to spot opfor damage through binoculars?

Edited by user1000

2 hours ago, user1000 said:

What's the best tactic it determining whether a panther has lost its main gun?

A hit decal on the barrel is an indicator.  If the tank is just using MGs and you spot a hit decal on the barrel it is probably out of service. 

6 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

A hit decal on the barrel is an indicator.  If the tank is just using MGs and you spot a hit decal on the barrel it is probably out of service. 

And if it hits the gun mantlet instead of the barrel and you really can't tell then what?

Edited by user1000