Do the expansions ever go on sale

Not a sale per se, but prices have been known to decline over time, and bundles can represent significant savings. You may need to get used to the idea that BFC does things a little differently than is commonly encountered in the industry. If you arrive with fixed expectations, you are apt to become confused and disappointed, but once you learn to relax and go with the flow, it all starts to make a kind of sense.

Michael

BFC don't do "sales". Not of modules or other expansions nor of base games. As Michael says, some older products are reduced and bundles, as they get larger, become better value for money.

But the main reason for older products remaining at prices near their "opening offer" is that there isn't truly any such thing as an "older product" any more. Every title from BN onward is maintained at the current level of engine development via upgrades. Upgrades are significant improvements to engine features and are charged at, historically, $10 (often $5 if they are bought as an accompaniment to some new product like a module that uses the new features). BN was released at 1.0 and is now at 3.12, which has consisted of two upgrades. So if you're buying BN v3 now you're effectively getting it for a discount of $20 on what someone who bought it at release and upgraded stepwise.

On top of upgrades, there are patches, which are without cost, and fix broken stuff like texture or TO&E errors or coding/AI glitches that don't get caught in the beta. Sometimes they'll include minor feature upgrades.

Modules, Vehicle Packs and Battle Packs are unlikely to be reduced much in price, because their value does not erode much either. BFC (and, indeed, the general demographic they're aiming at) tend to attach little value to "shininess".

2 hours ago, womble said:

BFC (and, indeed, the general demographic they're aiming at) tend to attach little value to "shininess".

Yet people here are always looking for mods to improve the graphics and sounds... :)

Edited by Bulletpoint

19 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Sale? Only when hell freezes!

LOL! If I waited for BF to drop titles to "sale" type prices I'd probably still be in the CMx1 series. I've given BF quite a bit of my hard earned money over the past 16 years and minus Black Sea (Maybe because I just suck in modern warfare...LOL!) I've been happy with all my purchases and feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

3 hours ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

LOL! If I waited for BF to drop titles to "sale" type prices I'd probably still be in the CMx1 series. I've given BF quite a bit of my hard earned money over the past 16 years and minus Black Sea (Maybe because I just suck in modern warfare...LOL!) I've been happy with all my purchases and feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Yep, exactly the same with me.

The strange thing is: We seem to like it and are proud of it!

What does that tell about us? ?

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

What does that tell about us? ?

That we are elitists? Well, maybe not in an absolute sense, but we are proud to have found a really good product line—there don't seem to be all that many left in the modern world—and to have stuck with it.

Michael

15 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

That we are elitists? Well, maybe not in an absolute sense, but we are proud to have found a really good product line—there don't seem to be all that many left in the modern world—and to have stuck with it.

Michael

Ahhh, THAT sounds good! My wife calls me a "Nerd". I like your understanding way better, of course. :-)

Edited by StieliAlpha

14 minutes ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

My wife just rolls her eyes when she sees me playing this but every once in awhile I get a "How can you play that game. It looks boring". Blasphemy woman!!! :D

Yesyesyes, that sounds familiar. As far as board games are concerned, I am even asked to get rid of an old one, before I buy a new one. Now, how can THAT ever work? ?

I still have my Altec Lansing speakers I purchased way back in 2000 (man those things STILL sound good). My wife HATED when I played the game. Explosions, gunfire, and let's not forgot "Let's get some noise discipline here" (very loud by the way...LOL!). I had to invest in headphones to play at night or I swear I think she would have put the divorce papers in.

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

As far as board games are concerned, I am even asked to get rid of an old one, before I buy a new one. Now, how can THAT ever work? ?

Really. You should ask her how she would feel if you got rid of her every time a new woman caught your interest. Or maybe not...but you can see the logic here. If you play a game, and especially if it is a good one that provides you with real pleasure, you form a bond with it. It is now an old friend who has traveled a part of life's road with you. And even if you may not play it any more, there are those shared memories. You don't just discard a friend like that.

Michael

Well, I remember one day

19 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Really. You should ask her how she would feel if you got rid of her every time a new woman caught your interest. Or maybe not...but you can see the logic here. If you play a game, and especially if it is a good one that provides you with real pleasure, you form a bond with it. It is now an old friend who has traveled a part of life's road with you. And even if you may not play it any more, there are those shared memories. You don't just discard a friend like that.

Michael

Well, I remember one day, when we packing stuff to move from one appartement to another. We packed my games and I had to tell a story about every box I touched. I think, she understood.

I think women don't really get our need to kill something...rather often. And I suspect that is not necessarily a bad thing. And just for balance, how much of typically "female" behavior (such as the frequent compulsion to re-arrange the furniture) do we men not get?

Michael

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I think women don't really get our need to kill something...rather often.

I wouldn't say I play this game to kill something. Actually I prefer the missions where I can accomplish the objectives without necessarily killing most of the enemy. And I enjoy rounding up surrendering enemies quite a lot.

19 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I think women don't really get our need to kill something...rather often. And I suspect that is not necessarily a bad thing. And just for balance, how much of typically "female" behavior (such as the frequent compulsion to re-arrange the furniture) do we men not get?

Michael

I accumulate games and big-boy's toys.

She accumulates...... cushions.......?!?