Intesting read

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_Cont.htm#toc

I found this e-book while searching for the combat actions of pieper during the battle of the bulge, some interesting pictures and an overall good free read. This appears to be an official army history but i only say that because its hosted by army.mil. aside from that my copy of "Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp" - Douglas E. Nash and it has proven to be a good read so far as well.(i forget who mentioned the book but thank you!

Any Green Book that you can beg, borrow, or steal is worth having. They may not always be the last word on any particular subject, but they are always chock full of useful information. About ten or a dozen years ago I bought the whole ETO on DVD. It was kind of a mediocre job of digitizing at that time, but still worth having.

Michael

6 hours ago, jtsjc1 said:

Amazon has reprints of it for sale. Excellent book.

Unless they have improved the quality of their reprints, I'd be a little wary of buying one. Some years ago I bought a reprint of Cross Channel Attack, about the Normandy invasion, and was disappointed with it. I think the text was all there same as the original, but all the maps except for the ones embedded in the text were missing. The lavish three color maps of the original publications and vital to them weren't there at all.

Michael

14 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Unless they have improved the quality of their reprints, I'd be a little wary of buying one. Some years ago I bought a reprint of Cross Channel Attack, about the Normandy invasion, and was disappointed with it. I think the text was all there same as the original, but all the maps except for the ones embedded in the text were missing. The lavish three color maps of the original publications and vital to them weren't there at all.

Michael

Didn't know that. I have older copies so I had no idea about the reprints.

I have a couple of hard copies from a library sale.The original pull out maps look nice in frames. There was once a publication of those maps for the ETO  in a soft cover atlas. Barnes and Nobel 6.99!!! Picked up two copies and framed a few maps for our recreation room. How the wife puts up with me ..... 

2 hours ago, kevinkin said:

I have a couple of hard copies from a library sale.The original pull out maps look nice in frames. There was once a publication of those maps for the ETO  in a soft cover atlas. Barnes and Nobel 6.99!!! Picked up two copies and framed a few maps for our recreation room. How the wife puts up with me ..... 

Yes I have the atlas also. There is a PTO and a MTO atlas.

One thing I loved about my copy of the Operation Torch account was the full-sized map in the envelop at the back of the book. It was a 1939 map of all of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East, showing such details as rail lines etc. as they were at that time. Man, that book was priceless and it broke my heart to send it away.

Michael

Michael -

I just have the ETO. 

US Army in WW II 
ATLAS
The European Theater
The National Historical Section
Harrisburg PA

I do not find an ISBN

The other theaters probably are similarly titled. Here is a quick search result:

http://www.goodbooksinthewoods.com/pages/books/39249/us-army-in-world-war-ii-atlas-the-european-theater

- Kevin

PS: These were published as part of the 50th commemorative anniversary edition of the the US Army in WW II.

Not sure exactly what that means.  

I'll be visiting the Ardennes battle areas in two weeks and I'm still searching for a guide book. The most popular seems to be "A Tour of the Bulge Battlefields" by Cavanagh, but it's hard to get over here in Germany (it wouldn't arrive in time for my trip). Does anyone have other hints for a good guide? Thanks in advance!

On 24/4/2016 at 6:48 PM, canuck97 said:

I'll be visiting the Ardennes battle areas in two weeks and I'm still searching for a guide book. The most popular seems to be "A Tour of the Bulge Battlefields" by Cavanagh, but it's hard to get over here in Germany (it wouldn't arrive in time for my trip). Does anyone have other hints for a good guide? Thanks in advance!

Here's a German library wheres it's available for online ordering, and on Amazon it's too by several UK based vendor : http://www.abebooks.de/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=A%20Tour%20of%20the%20Bulge%20Battlefield&sortby=17&n=200000080

As backup, you've got here a free tourist information map and brochure : http://www.opt.be/contenus/battle-of-the-bulge-tourist-guides/en/8421.html#menu

If you need specific informations about someone or somewhere, people at CRIBA will certainly be able to help out : http://www.criba.be/fr/about-us

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, just found that 170 page crash course on BotB, "Battlebook, senior leader staff ride: the Battle of the Bulge.", available at the Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library : http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p4013coll8/id/4068/rec/19

ToC :

• World War II & Battle of the Bulge Chronologies..................TAB A
  • World War II Allied Conferences.............................................TAB B
  • Allied Command Architecture & Order of Battle...................TAB C
  • The U.S. Army in December 1944...........................................TAB D
  • Biographical Sketches – Senior Allied Commanders...........TAB E
  • German Command Architecture & Order of Battle................TAB F
  • The German Army in December 1944.....................................TAB G
  • Biographical Sketches – Senior German Commanders.......TAB H
  • Comparative Military Officers’ Ranks.....................................TAB I
  • Equipment.................................................................................TAB J
  • The Defense of Bastogne........................................................TAB K
  • Casualties, Medical Statistics & Battle Losses……………...TAB L
  • Suggestions for Further Reading...……………………………TAB M
  • Glossary....................................................................................TAB N
  • Code Names………………………………………………………..TAB O

Edit : make sure to take a look at the World War II Operational Documents collection full of gems (3rd Army monthly AAR eg.)

Edited by CMFDR