[Bug] Soldier running astray - replay available

When that happens (rarely though) I cancel the units movement order and give it a new one either the same AS the unit currently resides in, or a neighboring one. That usually cancels the stray soldiers FUBAR´ed path and enables him to rejoin his unit as quick as possible. Though can´t hurt if BFC has a look at it and does a permanent fix.

Edit: My assumption is that when all the soldiers from a squad/team get their path computed in or through constricted terrain, then it could happen that the routine fo a single soldier fails to find a path and then chooses a weird alternative path. That´s similar for a squad attempting to move through a bocage gap, where one part of the squad attempts to move through and another part of the same squad attempts to move all around the bocage line to find an alternative route to the target AS.

Edited by RockinHarry

I tried all of these tricks (have seen it happen before back in CMSF) however none of them seem to work.

Was there mounting or dismounting of a vehicle involved with this incident?  I had two troops from two different squads wander off the map edge in October 2015.  Their two squads had been ordered to board trucks.  One troop from each squad ran off the map edge and kept going.  I was told, here on the forum, to hit Dismount on both trucks.  I hit Dismount and the troops ran back and rejoined their squads.       

Was there mounting or dismounting of a vehicle involved with this incident?  I had two troops from two different squads wander off the map edge in October 2015.  Their two squads had been ordered to board trucks.  One troop from each squad ran off the map edge and kept going.  I was told, here on the forum, to hit Dismount on both trucks.  I hit Dismount and the troops ran back and rejoined their squads.       

there are no transport involved in this scenario. It's in any case bug and should be looked at☺

I have noticed gunner's assistants running away, then running back trying to find the LMG they're supposed to help feed.

Plotting lots of short movement waypoints instead of long ones should mitigate this bug. I usually plot waypoints every 3 Action Spots along a path, it seems to help.

Interesting point with the lmg assistant. It´s one of the internal ties that oftentimes complicate matters for micro pathing of single soldiers.

The last times I got a single soldier its micro pathing and ties broken, was with a squad moving across a foot bridge and the other time a full Opel Blitz load of soldiers (~20 soldiers) disembarking simultaneously. 

I had a member of a German 3-man team/section (which included an MG42--don't recall if the AWOL dude was the assistant gunner or not) split off on his own in the recent Eindhoven AAR I played against Chappy Canuck.  I kept moving the team forward, and the errant Landser kept angling off until he was nearly 30 AS away.  When the original team finally got to cover, I kept giving them a movement order into the same AS they were located in.  They of course would squiggle around, but stayed in place.  Within 5 or 6 turns, the happy wanderer made it back to the team. That appears to be a possible workaround if it happens to you again.