CMFB Unofficial Screenshot Thread

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The assassin waited, hull down, eyes straining to see any movement in the distance. The clatter of tracks on road and the snort of big engines told him there was fresh meat. The wind carried the noise, and the exhaust. Likely there were many...

The first appeared, and the assassin lowered the gun on target. A pause, then the loud crash of the gun...

IMG_2028.JPG

Like threading a needle on a moving train, the assassin thought as the shell screamed down between copses of trees, past shrubs and trunks and...

Then it was there. A small burst of flame, and the prey stopped moving. A puff of smoke and paint and dust and heated air to mark the wound. 

IMG_2029.JPG

The prey's corpse looked almost unblemished, the wound mortal but neat, clean, unmarred by a great gash and torn carapace. As the crew fled they looked, trying to spy once more their nemesis. In the distance, barely noticeable, the assassin waited. And watched. 

IMG_2031.JPG

Edited by Bud_B

Sneaky @Bud_B! Sliding your comics into other threads! SNEAKY! But very nice.

My only critically constructive comment is that on your last panel, I feel the bottom left picture, with the US tank circled, is unnecessary, and sort of yanks you out of the feel of the strip. The following pic does a more than ample job at the same task. You've gone to such pains to keep the view as seen from the tanks; the highlight circle detracts from that.

There is a lot more menace in the last pic, which I really like; the hunter over-watching his latest kill.

Sneaky @Bud_B! Sliding your comics into other threads! SNEAKY! But very nice.

My only critically constructive comment is that on your last panel, I feel the bottom left picture, with the US tank circled, is unnecessary, and sort of yanks you out of the feel of the strip. The following pic does a more than ample job at the same task. You've gone to such pains to keep the view as seen from the tanks; the highlight circle detracts from that.

There is a lot more menace in the last pic, which I really like; the hunter over-watching his latest kill.

Thanks, Gnarly, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The partially hull down Hellcat was supposed to appear menacing; I'm glad that worked!

Interesting point about the circle; I felt no one would spot the Hellcat at a distance without it. Maybe it's not important to....

PS I agree with @gnarly about the big red circle. 

Yeah, I hear ya, the red circle is ugly. I thought so too. But would you have seen what I was trying to show had I not put it? And, would it matter if you didn't? Just curious. 

PPS Oh and I should add none of my guys spotted him after that kill until he started to duel with the victim's platoon mate and even then he got two more shots off before being spotted.

Nicely done!

Yeah, that was the ambush I wanted in our Liefrange battle up on the ridge.... :(

What is amazing (yet realistically frustrating) is that I couldn't take the risk that you didn't see the Hellcat. I really can't know what you see, just that you can see me if your crew looks in the right spot. 

Yeah, I hear ya, the red circle is ugly. I thought so too. But would you have seen what I was trying to show had I not put it? And, would it matter if you didn't? Just curious.

I know your question was for Ian, but I was curious why you instead didn't use a single panel at the bottom (instead of two), with the right hand one as the base, vis:

test.thumb.jpg.a62dca082d6ef24a6f61d075d

Thereby indicating both abandoned tank, and the over-watching Assassin.

But I guess you were also keen to highlight the hidden assassin without zoom, for Ian's benefit?

I know your question was for Ian, but I was curious why you instead didn't use a single panel at the bottom (instead of two), with the right hand one as the base, vis:

test.thumb.jpg.a62dca082d6ef24a6f61d075d

Thereby indicating both abandoned tank, and the over-watching Assassin.

But I guess you were also keen to highlight the hidden assassin without zoom, for Ian's benefit?

I wanted to show the distance involved. The zoomed shot doesn't really give you that feeling, as zooming compresses distances between objects giving them the appearance of proximity that they don't in fact have, just like telephoto lenses do. If I only showed the latter, it would appear like the two were just a short distance away, and this was a 2/3 across the map shot.

Maybe and no. Without the blunt instrument of the circle some would notice that assasin and some would only notice the abandoned tank. A little extra detail rewards the observant. Clearly you don't want your readers to have to did for everything but a hidden or unobvious gem here and there is an added bonus.

Maybe and no. Without the blunt instrument of the circle some would notice that assasin and some would only notice the abandoned tank. A little extra detail rewards the observant. Clearly you don't want your readers to have to did for everything but a hidden or unobvious gem here and there is an added bonus.

Perfect! That's a helpful answer, thank you! 

Bud,

Great stuff.  The screen shots are excellent.  Nice little vignette going here.

I needed the circle to spot the assassin but I'm thinking a thinner version of red would work well too, not as visually jarring but still pointing out the enemy in the distance.

Tension is mounting...  :o

Heinrich505

Just to be contrarian, I'll point out that I wouldn't have noticed the ambusher without the red circle. Instead, I would have assumed the rear view of the Panther was revealing the open escape hatch and potential survivors.

That was exactly what I feared would be the interpretation of that scene. 

Sigh my revenge will have to wait. All that happened between those two AFVs was my Panther fired on the TD but the round hit a tree and injured some of my own men in the tree line.  This is not looking good.

It's ok, I forgot button up my TCs and ended up doing my usual thing...getting one killed! :wacko:

Bud,

Great stuff.  The screen shots are excellent.  Nice little vignette going here.

I needed the circle to spot the assassin but I'm thinking a thinner version of red would work well too, not as visually jarring but still pointing out the enemy in the distance.

Tension is mounting...  :o

Heinrich505

You're right, I'll make a more unobtrusive circle next time. This one was a field expedient! :D