Book on Kindle

rocketman

rocketman,

While I can't speak to the app you mention, being on an actual Kindle and having no iPad, I can say with total confidence you will find a wealth of military history books. Unless possessed of vast resources, you'll easily go way beyond bankrupt acquiring just the WW II history list. If you're a Great War buff, I fear for your sanity, for there are tons of freebies. Wholeheartedly recommend (getting wrongly dinged for it by the stupid spell checker) Now It Can Be Told, by Philip Gibbs. It's not only the gold standard of war books, but it is free! I'm unaware of any region restriction on Kindle books. Nor am I a fan of such things on DVDs, either.

Regards,

John Kettler

I'm thinking about getting the Kindle app for my iPad. Are most military history books (old and new) released for Kindle? Are books purchased in one Amazon store locked to that region?

Recommended?

My experience has been positive but I'm not as serious a military bibliophile as many others on the Forums.  Kindle often offers worthwhile military history "freebies" as well at the Amazon Store.  I can't speak to regional locks.  I've never encountered them.

Edited by Badger73
additional info

Thanks for the replies.

@ StieliAlpha, do you know of any region restriction to Kindle books since you are in Europe like me?

Nope, to date I always bought from amazon.de, though all books in English "original" version.

A simple and pragmatic idea: Get the App, does not cost anything, and buy  any cheap book from Amazon.com. Well, preferably one you would like to read. Then you'll see.

Nope, to date I always bought from amazon.de, though all books in English "original" version.

A simple and pragmatic idea: Get the App, does not cost anything, and buy  any cheap book from Amazon.com. Well, preferably one you would like to read. Then you'll see.

or download a "freebie' from amazon.com (typically no longer under author copyright or a publisher's promotion).

rocketman,

I agree with sburke about the situation with graphics, for I have found it maddening. It was merely annoying in trying to look at a fairly large picture not so great typical pic of a tank in a book on Russian armor, but it gave me severe eyestrain when trying to look at a series of small drawings in a book presenting a typology of similar creatures. The box around them was hard enough to see, let alone the actual drawings practically swallowed by the white space inside the boxes! Speaking as someone who's generated E-books, the Kindle format is considerably visually degraded relative to the by comparison laser sharp PDF of the same information, which is why my full version always has the PDF included, for the difference is huge. Frankly, I'd rate trying to read a map with fine type a fool's errand, particularly when it's virtually impossible to do so in the printed book. I have a Gen One Kindle, so things may've gotten much better since. Sadly, it's also true that for unknown reasons, some graphics can't be expanded at all. Suggest you go to a store and ask to see a book of the type that interests you running on an iPad. You may save yourself considerable grief that way.

Regards,

John Kettler

So I got the app for iPad. Hopefully pics will look better on it than on a Kindle-device. Any suggestions for "must read" books that cover any of CM*2 theaters? Preferably books with maps and depiction of smaller scale combats that can be turned into scenarios?

The image quality all depends on what image size the book designer chooses to use as there is quite a hefty allowance in using images up to 5MB size. Which allows pretty hi-res images.  If it hasn't then the designer is either sloppy or they've chosen low-res images to keep the overall ebook file size down as if it is a image heavy illustrated ebook it can become quite hefty.

Formatting Images Within Your Kindle Book > https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1B6GKJ79HC7AN

I've created kindle mobi ebooks that have a fair few optimised images for photos and maps that total under 5MB - so it's possible but most self-publishers don't or don't know how.