Mortar bombs falling sideways?

I just tested this with U.S. 60 & 81 mm mortars - the mortars point up at launch as expected, and point downward when descending for approximately the last 1/2 - 2/3 of descent. They do have a strange transition at the peak of flight - the mortar begins to lay on its side as it approaches the peak and stays in that position until it finally tips downward on the way down (again, about 1/2 - 2/3 of the descent). It does seem to conflict with the physics as I would intuitively expect.

I have version 3.11 - so I'm not sure if this has been changed from earlier versions, or perhaps you're catching the mortar in free fall at or near the maximum altitude, which is where I observed the same thing that you did. 

• 5 months later...

I am reminded of those 'first world problem' jokes!

"My mortar graphic has the wrong font for the stenciled on logistics data. The game is broken!" :)

Good spot though! Has anyone checked all the other transient graphics - might as well get them all in one go!

Never claimed that the game was broken. It's obviously a pretty insignificant bug. I just wondered if I'm the only one seeing this.

They do, but you may have to zoom in a bit (by pressing x, not just by moving the camera) to see it though. Not sure if cannon artillery shows a 3D shell, but mortars do.

No they don't, off-map missions always show as tracers. 3D mortar shell objects are only shown with on-map mortars, and just having checked mine, they don't fall sideways either.

No they don't, off-map missions always show as tracers. 3D mortar shell objects are only shown with on-map mortars, and just having checked mine, they don't fall sideways either.

That's interesting (well, to me at least). Will doublecheck later to make sure it's not just me imagining things.

It's never been a big deal to me, but I've seen them fall sideways too. I only zoom in on them when one is streaking in on my troops as a turn ends, and I want to see where it's likely to hit, and who is going to feel the pain. No idea which title it was, but probably CMBN and its modules, nor do I recall if on or off map,  whose side, size of round, etc., but I most definitely have seen it. Memory is foggy, but it seems one time when the round was higher up in its arc it was sideways, then flipped at some point and properly pointed down as it neared the ground.

@Thewwod1, waste of time to bother to fix, IMHO, but still a pretty neat demonstration of the lengths BFC goes to in modeling this game.

I just checked and can confirm that off-map 81mm mortars fall while horizontal until point of impact, while on-map mortar bombs change their orientation in flight (but stay a bit too horizontal).

I've now reported it as a bug through official channels and made sure to set priority to VERY HIGH, with a note to please fix this game-breaking bug before any of the issues raised by @Thewood1.

Just kidding... :D