Tiger Vs Stuart

@hobo Totally agree. The Stuart is amazing in close in battles. If you're going to be lobbing shells across a big map, not so much. Those two Stuarts I bought in this particular battle have caused more casualties than the four Sherms (three of which are now KO'd and the fourth immobilized). To be fair though, the Sherms were used to initially engage the Tigers. One weakness I've noticed in Stuarts.......it seems like they take a lot of track damage from crossing things like fences and small stone walls. I've accidentally immobilized a Stuart in at least two recent games. In the future, I plan to be more careful.

@MOS:96B2P "If you ever want to play against someone who is not as advanced as Doug (and probably not as gamey :) ) I am also available."  Heh, I don't consider myself "advanced" at all. I've just played a lot of games over the past few years and I tend seek out players who are more skilled than I am so I can learn better tactics. One player I always cringe when I start a game with is Simmox (we play together in WeBoB....I think he's also on these forums), because he will beat me three out of four times. Nevertheless, I usually have a game going with him just to keep me humble. Baneman's pretty good also. ;-)          

Thanks for the heads up. I'm all for being a good sport, but is it customary to fight till the last man in PBEM games? Or are you allowed to surrender/cease fire when you can't see any hope of winning?

A surrender is always acceptable, IMO. Most players will accept a Cease Fire, if they believe that the result will be in their favor. I tend to avoid players who insist in fighting to the last man. Very unrealistic, except in certain circumstances.

What is unacceptable is abandoning a game. That will get you a bad rep real fast (and get you booted out of some clubs).

Edited by Doug Williams

Thanks for the heads up. I'm all for being a good sport, but is it customary to fight till the last man in PBEM games? Or are you allowed to surrender/cease fire when you can't see any hope of winning?

You can surrender whenever you want.  For the cease fire you can offer it whenever you want but of course your opponent must accept.  In most situations it is not fun or realistic to fight to the last man.  I think most people will end it so they can get on with a new PBEM game.  

What is unacceptable is abandoning a game. That will get you a bad rep real fast (and get you booted out of some clubs).

+1

Yeah, I sent out invites to two newbs who wanted to tutorial via pbem. I told them to pick everything. (Both wanted QB.) I told them this is a tutorial: winning/losing doesn't matter. One quit when his Tiger died. No emails, nothing. Another did the same when his Sherman tank rush failed to work against two stugs and some shrecks. So...I no longer offer tutorial help.

Rage quitting is unacceptable. (Had it happen in a tournament.) Ceasefire and surrender is totally acceptable. Usually my oppo's will communicate the desire to ceasefire, unless it's tourney play. As for me, if I'm losing, I'll tell my oppo I'm ready to surrender, but will happily continue until the clock runs out if he'd like. Sometimes it just feels good to wipe the board. I wouldn't deny anyone that kind of fun. ;)

My experience has been that the vast majority of pbem'ers are mature and good-humored. It's what brings the game to life.

... or Who's Turn is it.  (I have not used Who's Turn is it but it was created by IanL so you know it is a quality product.)  These three PBEM aids are all free and greatly simplify the PBEM process.

You are very kind - I certainly try.

I know I am getting ahead of myself here but you might also want to consider joining a ladder at one of the gaming clubs.  I just joined the Blitz ladder and am playing my first two ladder games in the Blitz ladder system.  I think (hope) the advantage of a ladder is that most people in a ladder/club system will finish a PBEM even when they are losing.  (The behavior is tracked and reported)  Outside of the ladder/club system some people are likely to lose interest if a game starts to go south on them.

That tends to be true.  Occasionally we still get some sad sacs - I have had two guys from theBlitz ladder quite on me.  But that was the exception and not the rule and I have a handful of guys that I play regularly now.

What I do once I have been totally beaten is offer a cease fire in game and then tell my opponent that I am done and that I have set the cease fire flag and whenever they are ready they can end the game by doing the same and in the mean time I'll keep playing.  That seems to work well.

Yeah, I sent out invites to two newbs who wanted to tutorial via pbem. I told them to pick everything. (Both wanted QB.) I told them this is a tutorial: winning/losing doesn't matter. One quit when his Tiger died. No emails, nothing. Another did the same when his Sherman tank rush failed to work against two stugs and some shrecks.

Sounds like your opponents were children.

Actually, now that I think about it, I didn't act like that when I was a kid :)

I actually played a couple of online matches of Close Combat way back when. In one, my tanks were destroyed by a hull-down enemy, but in a gamey way, since it involved rolling tanks back and forth to exploit the weak TacAI in that game. But at least the principle was sound enough. Didn't quit that one, despite it being super frustrating.

In another game, my 'almighty' all-Panther force was completely decimated by a cleverly deployed infantry defense. For a kid that used to play tank-rush games like Command and Conquer, that was a real damn eye-opener.

I played that game till the bitter end, learned a lot, and it was fun despite losing.

Edited by Bulletpoint

<Snip>  and speaking of cease fire or surrender isnt that overdue for you in our campaign mos? we are supposed to be playig realisticly?

I hit the cease fire button two days ago I think?  You accepted and I viewed the AAR screen and did the post battlefield walk.  Did ya get your PBEMs mixed up? :)     

What I do once I have been totally beaten is offer a cease fire in game and then tell my opponent that I am done and that I have set the cease fire flag and whenever they are ready they can end the game by doing the same and in the mean time I'll keep playing.  That seems to work well.

I've done this very thing as well. I've had some who wanted to really mop the floor and I played as best I could right to the end. It just seems fair to reward their hard work.

Others were cool with a cease fire. I think over time one finds really compatible people in temperament and interests.

Yeah, I sent out invites to two newbs who wanted to tutorial via pbem. I told them to pick everything. (Both wanted QB.) I told them this is a tutorial: winning/losing doesn't matter. One quit when his Tiger died. No emails, nothing. Another did the same when his Sherman tank rush failed to work against two stugs and some shrecks. So...I no longer offer tutorial help.

Rage quitting is unacceptable. (Had it happen in a tournament.) Ceasefire and surrender is totally acceptable. Usually my oppo's will communicate the desire to ceasefire, unless it's tourney play. As for me, if I'm losing, I'll tell my oppo I'm ready to surrender, but will happily continue until the clock runs out if he'd like. Sometimes it just feels good to wipe the board. I wouldn't deny anyone that kind of fun. ;)

My experience has been that the vast majority of pbem'ers are mature and good-humored. It's what brings the game to life.

That sounds like a real pity - what a wasted opportunity. I'd jump at the chance to have a great player make the time and effort to try to help me learn. It's a lot of fun!

MOS I got tje post battle. ill pm you later but basically your stryker units a write off. i have to tabulate my losses for this battalion tactical group which will not be leading my next attack against your ukrainian battle group you pick. next battle will be at midday as this was a dawn attack. try to remember to pull baxk or you.ll be playong with conscript ukrainians while you wait the couple days for a armor US unit to arrive in theater.